BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Web Design and/or posting video

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Catherine CinquiWeb Design and/or posting video
by on Feb 18, 2008 at 8:26:09 pm

I was looking to see if anyone had any recommendations for building a web site for a video production company. I have been working for a entertainment company for eight years as an editor/producer and am now in the process of setting up a new company.
I have little experience with web design and posting video, and have been caught a few times in the last month with no appropriate reels on line that have cost me the opportunity for some side work. So I would like to get a web site up-So I'm wondering if it's better to hire someone to build the site or to take the time and learn dreamweaver. It's something that I would like to keep updated, display work, post demo reels etc..
So I'm wondering if anyone had any opinions on the topic or any experiences with a web designer or web design program they would recommend.

Thanks very much-

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: Web Design and/or posting video
by on Feb 19, 2008 at 2:35:47 am

If you search for websites of video production companies, or just check out the sites of fellow COW members, you will see they run the gamut from a simple 1 page layout with vital contact info, to full-on Flash websites with lots of video and sound effects.
In my opinion, your site should be simple and to the point, depending upon, of course, what you are selling.
You could hire a local web designer and for a few thousand dollars get a pretty nice website.
You can search for web design templates, find one you like and with very little web programming knowledge have a functional site.
Embedding video and doing most non-database web layout can be as easy as learning from other websites, to as complex as you want to get.
If you are just starting out, then keep it simple and to the point.

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: Web Design and/or posting video
by on Feb 19, 2008 at 12:19:55 pm

We do have a couple of Jobs forums here on the Cow that are very useful. I've found freelance editors, database designers and more over there.

For our website design makeover, I liked the design being done for a photographer we worked with so I hired the same designer.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

The new Color Training DVD now available from the Creative Cow!

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Brendan CootsRe: Web Design and/or posting video
by on Feb 20, 2008 at 1:54:52 am

I would carefully consider your options on this issue.

- Web site templates are affordable and you should be able to find one that suits your fancy, but they are still just generic templates and may not end up being as easy to update down the road as you might think.

- If you build a web site yourself by learning Dreamweaver, unless you are truly gifted you will probably end up with a sub-par web site that doesn't exactly scream quality. Many people don't realize how complex web design is, but suffice it to say that you can't just throw some beautiful Photoshop comp up on the web and "presto!" you have a site. Also, there are very specific ways of posting video that enable the widest audience to view it that are pretty complicated.

I would suggest that you hire a web designer who knows PHP very well, and ask them to build your site as well as a simple back-end content management system (CMS). They can fairly easily build a system where you can update the text and imagery on your site, add videos to your demo reel page by using a simple form etc.. They could also set up a password protected "client area" where you can post videos for review. All of this is fairly routine for an experienced PHP web developer, and shouldn't cost that much to execute.

Brendan Coots

Splitvision Digital

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved