BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Advice on starting a non-profit

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim HydeAdvice on starting a non-profit
by on Feb 14, 2008 at 3:34:51 pm

Myself and a business partner have recently begun an experiment in media production for the arts and we would like to register ourselves as a non-profit. Currently we are shooting and editing for local musicians at no charge (!). While we both keep our day jobs, we can't keep this up forever and are trying to find ways to fund this project. We have played with the idea of advertising but we feel it cheapens the art. We offer these videos free of charge to the general public and are going to be asking for donations only, as of yet.

Any advice on funding for a non-profit? We are looking into federal grants but that can be a long and disheartening process.

Return to posts index

Arnie SchlisselRe: Advice on starting a non-profit
by on Feb 14, 2008 at 4:58:06 pm

[Jim Hyde] "Any advice on funding for a non-profit?"

Yes. Talk to a lawyer and/or accountant who specializes in NFP.

Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman

Return to posts index

Mick HaenslerRe: Advice on starting a non-profit
by on Feb 15, 2008 at 6:18:20 pm

We do a lot of work for non profits and seriously considered becoming a non profit ourselves. After many lengthy conversations with my non profit clients, accountants and lawyers, as well as some of the pros here, we decided the negatives far outweighed the positives. Starting a non profit is not for the faint of heart. If you don't have a love of paperwork and government red tape, I would suggest finding another alternative.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

Ken SummerallRe: Advice on starting a non-profit
by on Feb 19, 2008 at 1:08:43 am

Well funding is a big hurdle, but the larger one may be becoming a NFP to begin with. As someone else said the paperwork is mountainous. I have passed that hurdle with my own NFP, but it is not easy. My suggestion is to find someone who knows what they are doing and pay them. You can contact me and I can give you the name of the group that I used, but I am sure that there is someone locally that could serve you better.

As for funding there are a lot of foundations out there trying to give away money but most require you to be a 501c3 organization first. Although some will pay for you to file the paperwork to get that designation! (be gentle, this is site is undergoing a redesign, but you can contact me there)

Ken Summerall
Wellwater Productions, Inc.
"A non-profit production company specializing in media with a mission."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved