BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Near Craigslist Calibre Job Posting ... for the CBC!

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick DolishnyNear Craigslist Calibre Job Posting ... for the CBC!
by on Feb 14, 2008 at 5:56:38 am

I have read it a number of times and forwarded it to colleagues. I was waiting for the "...deferred payment" at the end but "bilingual" to service the estimated five francophones in the Vancouver market was equally as hilarious.

Sadly the CBC web team is busy encoding their media to RealMedia (WTF!) and wasn't able to provide its kind users with a direct link. But search the job site for job posting VAN00187.

I'll save you the trouble. Enjoy:

PS: I had to look up iteratively: it means “marked by tedious repetition”. Where do I sign up!?!?

Production Editor
French Services

Would you like to be part of Canada’s National Public Broadcast team?

CBC/Radio-Canada has a diverse and creative workforce who thrives in an atmosphere of sharing and learning. Ten thousand employees strong, CBC brings Canada to the people in English, French and eight Aboriginal languages.

As a Production Editor, you will perform specialized editing tasks primarily in the post-production of long-form programming, contributing creatively by frequently producing distinctive and innovative visual and aural results.

You may participate in all stages of planning, production and packaging of the programs and will edit long-form programs. In addition to creating and adding new visual material, you will create, edit and mix new audio elements and add textures and effects to images, text and fonts by selecting visual effects existing within the hardware or software. You will also have the opportunity to evaluate and select segments with regard for pacing, dramatic value and impact. You will edit and reassemble segments iteratively to generate video and audio material that delivers maximum effect.

What You Bring

Must have a minimum of three years experience on non-linear editing platforms
In addition must have minimum two years experience on a compositing system, Avid DS, Discreet Flint, Flame, etc
Should be able to use and understand the various features of these systems such as special effects “plug-ins”, colour correction, node based effects, etc.
Must be able to use the following software products: Adobe Photoshop, After Effects, and Illustrator, Avid Media Log
Secondary school graduation with a specialty in technically oriented courses or equivalent plus 2 to 3 years additional specialized courses, study or training
Two to three years related experience within CBC or outside organization - additional specialized training and experience will be important for employment or promotion
Ability to understand and troubleshoot complex high-end computer workstations and system including LAN and server systems. Specifically must be able to troubleshoot Avid systems and must be familiar with the Avid technical support process
Must be willing to work in a high pressure, tight deadline environment
Ability to work flexible hours and weekends as required
A demonstrated keen interest in, and knowledge of, Arts and Entertainment
Demonstrated strong creative sensibility and story-telling ability
Must possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Should have the ability, and be willing to work frequent and extended periods of overtime
Should have the ability, and be willing to work various shifts patterns, including overnights and weekends
Must be able to work well in a team environment
Must be able give direction to other team members to achieve the creative goals, when required
Should be self-motivated and take the initiative to solve problems on their own and/or through consultation with peers
Must possess good organizational skills
Must be able to work in a deadline driven daily program environment while maintaining a calm, professional and understanding attitude
Must be able to analyze Post Production processes and provide concrete suggestions regarding potential improvements

Return to posts index

Post removed.

Jim HydeRe: Near Craigslist Calibre Job Posting ... for the CBC!
by on Feb 14, 2008 at 2:59:59 pm

What's your point here? Yes they want a lot of qualifications, it's a huge corporation and they always exaggerate every job description in detail. Thing is - they pay. Well.

Return to posts index

Rick DolishnyRe: Near Craigslist Calibre Job Posting ... for the CBC!
by on Feb 14, 2008 at 4:32:36 pm

> What's your point here?

It had the candour of a or craigslist "do everything get paid nothing" posting.

The CBC is recognized as no longer being particularly generous with it's new hires.

I'm old and cranky, and my old and cranky colleagues had a laugh. Perhaps I should have posted this on the Discreet Editors forum! :)

Rick Dolishny
Discrete Editors COW Leader

Return to posts index

Jim HydeRe: Near Craigslist Calibre Job Posting ... for the CBC!
by on Feb 14, 2008 at 4:37:51 pm

The CBC is just in the habit of hiring casual workers only(funny that was the whole reason for going on strike - to make more full-time). But as far as pay vs workload I think it's pretty fair, despite job description postings. I can tell you this because i currently work as a production editor for CBC.

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: Near Craigslist Calibre Job Posting ... for the CBC!
by on Feb 14, 2008 at 5:14:59 pm

I think what Rick was getting at in his original post was that Craigslist ads tend to be 1 of two things.

1. We want someone to do lots of different things for low or no pay.

2. Legitimate jobs.

However, while I have posted ads for freelancers on Craigslist and gotten a mixed bag of results, large organizations likely recruit via more traditional channels.

The format of the posted CBC ad, with not much spacing and a lot of use of the word "must" did appear a bit questionable, just like websites promising overnight wealth (pyramid schemes) often are extremely wordy with lots of long blocks of text (same goes for conspiracy theories).

So while this may in fact be a reputable ad by CBC, which shows the advanced skill sets they are looking for, to folks who have seen a lot of shady classified ads, it can look shady. From a certain point of view.

"Vader murdered Anakin, from a certain point of view."

Return to posts index

Steve WargoAnd the dollar amount is...?
by on Feb 18, 2008 at 6:51:50 am

So what did this job pay? It looks to be in the $60K range.

We had someone on the Indie Film forum a while back that said that he got a long term gig from Craig's list that paid very well. It turned out that it was $500 a week and the person had to own a camera, accessories and a workstation to create, shoot and edit commercials for the web. At last contact, I believe they owed him two months pay.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1.

Return to posts index

Jim HydeRe: And the dollar amount is...?
by on Feb 20, 2008 at 2:04:53 pm

You're close, Steve. It's a little bit higher, not counting benefits and overtime.

Return to posts index

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved