BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

News: Apple drops out of NAB 2008 Expo booth line-up

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cow News DroidNews: Apple drops out of NAB 2008 Expo booth line-up
by on Feb 8, 2008 at 1:22:32 am

No official Apple booth on the Expo floor at NAB 2008

(February 7, 2008) Following on the heels of rival Avid Technology's previous announcement to pull from NAB 2008, Apple Inc. announced today that there will be no Apple Inc. booth on the expo floor of NAB 2008.

Apple Inc. told TV Technology magazine on Thursday, February 7, 2008 that they'd not be attending NAB 2008.

According to TV Technology, Apple's departure from NAB 2008 comes as part of the company's decision to pursue other ways to reach out to its customer base.

"Apple is participating in fewer trade shows this year," said Apple spokesman Anuj Nayar. "Often there are better ways to reach our customers. The increasing popularity of our retail stores and Apple.com Web site allows us to directly reach more than 100 million customers around the world in innovative new ways."

When asked if they intended to return to NAB 2009, Apple officials declined comment.

###

Return to posts index

Rick DolishnyRe: News: Apple drops out of NAB 2008 Expo booth line-up
by on Feb 8, 2008 at 3:12:07 am

That's amazing.

Ah I can remember the day...

---
Rick Dolishny
Discrete Editors COW Leader
http://www.thecreativeprocess.ca

Return to posts index

Randall RaymondRe: News: Apple drops out of NAB 2008 Expo booth line-up
by on Feb 8, 2008 at 4:20:42 am

On a cost-per-sale, trade shows are monumentally expensive and hard to track. The tactile, the one-on-one, I'm not sure the internet can ever replace that - e.g. how can you decide on a tripod without trying them all? It's not the end of the NAB.

Return to posts index

Bob ColeRe: News: Apple drops out of NAB 2008 Expo booth line-up
by on Feb 8, 2008 at 5:02:09 am

[Randall Raymond] "how can you decide on a tripod without trying them all? It's not the end of the NAB."

Have to say I'm really surprised by Apple's decision, because at the last NAB I attended, the FCP area seemed like a massive sea of Apple-idolatry. I guess they were the already-converted.

Randall makes a good point, although forums like this have influenced my purchasing decisions far more than my trips to NAB.

For me the biggest business benefit for attending NAB was the chance to look at various products and decide NOT to buy them. And on a personal level, renewing old acquaintances is kinda great too.

Oh, and the magicians who enliven a few booths are fun.

What's going to replace NAB?

Bob C

MacPro 2 x 3GHz dualcore; 10 GB 667MHz
Kona LHe
Sony HDV Z1
Sony HDV M25U
HD-Connect MI
Betacam UVW1800
DVCPro AJ-D650

Return to posts index

Steve WargoRe: News: Apple drops out of NAB 2008 Expo booth line-up
by on Feb 8, 2008 at 6:39:28 am

I seriously doubt that very many made a decision to buy FCP based on a trip to NAB. While it's great to touch, try out and fondle, my buying decisions are usually made ahead of time and NAB is just a chance to confirm my decision.

When we were a Discreet Dealer, Discreet would hold back all of the announcements till NAB (including us) which really screwed us because that kept us from making any sales from around Christmas till April, like a big announcement at NAB would rock the world. it would have been much better if we had the new products in January and made our sales before the big party.

Waiting till NAB to release a new product is idiotic. How would it go over if we all had a birthday party on the same day. So what! With the Internet as rock solid as it is today, what's the point?

As for cameras, sound gear, lighting and the like, it's a different story.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1.

Return to posts index

Lee AdairRe: News: Apple drops out of NAB 2008 Expo booth line-up
by on Feb 8, 2008 at 6:50:44 pm

Actually, NAB was exactly where I decided to make the transition from Avid to FCP with their version 4 release. I wanted to get some hands on experience, talk with 3rd party Apple partners and generally get a feel for all of the changes I'd need to make in one place, and NAB was that place.

Of course, that was the only time in the past decade that I've actually shown up and NAB with checkbook in hand actually expecting to be able to buy something that day.

MediaWorks, Inc.
Your Image is Our Mission; 'On Target' is Our Mantra; Satisfaction is Our Manifesto

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: News: Apple drops out of NAB 2008 Expo booth line-up
by on Feb 8, 2008 at 9:11:51 pm

[Steve Wargo] "I seriously doubt that very many made a decision to buy FCP based on a trip to NAB. While it's great to touch, try out and fondle, my buying decisions are usually made ahead of time and NAB is just a chance to confirm my decision."

I bought my original Media 100 back in 1994 without going to NAB. I visited a local dealer and got my hands on one there.

When I switched to Avid following a few years with M100, I went to a local dealer for it, as well.

When I switched from Avid to the Adobe line of tools, I used the web (might I recommend CreativeCOW.net, thank you) for my research.

The only thing I ever bought from NAB was my Videonics Effetto Pronto (an After Effects-like hardware accelerated compositor) and I wish I had saved my money as it didn't last long. (Although I loved the tool and the team was a great bunch of people.)

I really think that basing your buying decision on the few minutes that you get to have your hands on something at NAB is a bad way to buy. I have never seen any station on any tool there where I got to spend more than a few minutes on it.

Just my opinion.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ronlindeboom
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
Join the COW's LinkedIn Group

Now in the COW Magazine: Commercials. A look at the history, strategy, techniques and production workflows of successful commercials. All brought to you by some of the COW's brightest members. Accept no substitutes!

Would you like to be in Creative COW Magazine with your story or contributi...

Do you have your complimentary subscription to Creative COW Magazine yet?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]