BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Forum guidance

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dennis Dean
Forum guidance
on Feb 3, 2008 at 3:14:45 pm

Just joined CC - thought someone here could point me to the proper forum. My business is investigating the migration up to HD. But here's my question (one of those "Duhh - where's the power switch?" questions.)

We'd like to offer HD to customers but need to know how to set up playback for them. No one around here (Milwaukee area) is authoring HD disks - and I have a feeling direct-from-drive playback might be an option.

If you could point me to a spot where I could find solid information on this it would be appreciated!

Thanks very much

Dennis Dean

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Forum guidance
on Feb 3, 2008 at 3:39:38 pm

[Dennis Dean] "My business is investigating the migration up to HD."

What kind of business? What are your HD needs?

[Dennis Dean] "We'd like to offer HD to customers but need to know how to set up playback for them. No one around here (Milwaukee area) is authoring HD disks - and I have a feeling direct-from-drive playback might be an option."

Not following your question Playback where? In your facility? At their facility?

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR
The new Color Training DVD now available from the Creative Cow!

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Dennis Dean
on Feb 3, 2008 at 3:47:08 pm

At their facility. Playback here won't be a problem - we'll just do it in editing. Problem here is we're small - creative content - not technical. I searched the HD posts and found a Digital Juice video that was somewhat helpful - it mentioned distributing HD on conventional DVD. But then what? Our thought is to put HD into lobbies and trade shows where our clients can make an impact. But it needs to be very simple for the client to operate... or we won't be able to sell it.
Thanks for your response!
DD

Dennis Dean

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Feb 3, 2008 at 4:09:55 pm

[Dennis Dean] "Our thought is to put HD into lobbies and trade shows where our clients can make an impact. But it needs to be very simple for the client to operate... or we won't be able to sell it."

Then I would suggest either Apple TV or BluRay disc.

Apple TV works very much like a Tivo and you can load the shows onto that unit for them and then they take it to the trade show. There are even AppleTV presets in Apple's Compressor software if you're running Final Cut Pro.

Or there's BluRay disc, which we author here. Works just like a DVD player so there's no learning curve for your client and you can program the BluRay to loop so once the client his "play" they just forget about it. Our BluRays have been coming out spectacular and look every bit as good as the HD originals.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Dennis Dean
on Feb 3, 2008 at 4:43:41 pm

This is great. I'll explore both. What's the proper way to get in touch with you as a vendor to get some preliminary info regarding BluRay?

DD

Dennis Dean

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Feb 3, 2008 at 5:18:50 pm

[Dennis Dean] "What's the proper way to get in touch with you as a vendor to get some preliminary info regarding BluRay?"

All contact is on my website which is included in my signature.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Dennis Dean
on Feb 3, 2008 at 5:47:58 pm

Thank you!

Dennis Dean

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Feb 3, 2008 at 9:25:21 pm

Great subtle sales job Walter. Some others need to take note on how it's done.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Feb 4, 2008 at 11:50:24 am

[Steve Wargo] "Great subtle sales job Walter. Some others need to take note on how it's done."

Not a sales job at all, just helping the guy out. There are dozens of BluRay authoring companies out there, the software/hardware is readily available for anyone who requires it and Apple TV is something anyone can set up.

I'm not doing these posts to make money, just help folks out.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Feb 5, 2008 at 5:14:40 am

Whoa Walter, I was being complimentary in a semi sarcastic way. Nothing but complete respect intended.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1.

Return to posts index

Glenn Grant
on Feb 3, 2008 at 7:33:19 pm

Walter,

Have you tried the Apple TV option? I have been thinking that would be a nice options, but I am wondering how the picture quality would hold up? I like the idea that you could store lots of titles and not have to change disks to show something else.

For the OP, I have been sending out HD material on DVD5 that will play back on Toshiba HDDVD players. This looks great but is limited to about 20 mins. I supplied a few clients with the players and kinda filled them in on the format war. The future for HD DVDs looks pretty bleak so I will be looking for other options as well.

Return to posts index

Eric Susch
on Feb 4, 2008 at 8:30:31 am

[Glenn Grant] "Have you tried the Apple TV option? I have been thinking that would be a nice options, but I am wondering how the picture quality would hold up?"

AppleTV will play up to 720p at 24fps. It looks great.

That's an interesting idea using it for a presentation. I've got to remember that one.

Eric Susch

http://www.LetsKnit2gether.com

http://www.ElectronicSprocket.com

Return to posts index

Dennis Dean
on Feb 4, 2008 at 2:41:46 pm

How to you prep for Apple TV playback? Just output a 24fps/720p QuickTime? (In the process of migrating to HD so still uncertain about many fundamentals.) thanks!
dd

Dennis Dean

Return to posts index

Eric Susch
on Feb 4, 2008 at 7:46:50 pm

[Dennis Dean] "Just output a 24fps/720p QuickTime?"

That's pretty much it. An H.264 quicktime will look the best. Then throw the file into iTunes and sync with the AppleTV. The video specs are on this page:

http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html

If you use compressor it's really, really easy because there are AppleTV presets.

Eric Susch

http://www.LetsKnit2gether.com

http://www.ElectronicSprocket.com

Return to posts index

Dennis Dean
on Feb 4, 2008 at 7:51:02 pm

Fabulous! Thanks very much and TO ALL who responded to this thread (my first, here). All responses have been very helpful.

DD

Dennis Dean

Return to posts index

Larry Melton
on Feb 5, 2008 at 7:30:53 pm

We have had great success playing back from PC using Windows Media HD at 720p. It's very simple, and looks great. And no special equipment for the client to buy.

We've done a couple of trade shows and set this up playing back on a 50" plasma monitor, from an off the shelf PC with an HD-capable video card. Program Windows Media to repeat and the results are really outstanding. And the compression is so good that the file size can easily fit on a flash drive. You can carry that video around with you and show it to almost anyone, anywhere on your laptop or their office PC.

Larry Melton
Triangle Productions Inc.
Grand Rapids MI

Larry Melton
Triangle Productions Inc

Return to posts index

Glenn Grant
on Feb 6, 2008 at 5:57:28 am

Glad to know it looks good. I wasn't sure how it would look, the bit rate seems kinda low for HD.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]