BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

music copyright for portfolio use

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephanie Chambersmusic copyright for portfolio use
by on Feb 2, 2008 at 5:35:07 pm

Good Afternoon!

I just signed up and have a question that I thought this group might be able to help me with.

I'm starting my job search for my second graphic design job and the portfolio piece that I want to send along is best viewed with the song it is based on. My question is: Are there any copyright infringements involved? I'm not selling the song. I would be burning it and therefore sharing it with a potential future employer. Which leads me to my next question, if said potential employer receives it, might they mutter to themselves, gee this person doesn't know anything about copyrights....

Or is this such a tiny piece of the copyright infringement matrix that I shouldn't worry?

Thanks for any information you provide :)

Return to posts index

Bruce BennettRe: music copyright for portfolio use
by on Feb 2, 2008 at 9:39:45 pm

[Stephanie Chambers] "My question is: Are there any copyright infringements involved?"

The answer to your question is “Yes.” In every definition, you would be in violation of copyright law.

Cut and paste, Ron?

Bruce Bennett,
Bennett Marketing & Media Production, LLC

Return to posts index

Steve WargoRe: music copyright for portfolio use
by on Feb 3, 2008 at 10:13:01 pm

Don't walk into our front door with pirated music because you will hear about it from me and l anyone else who doesn't want their property used without their permission. A few years ago, I must have had a dozen job seekers come in with demo pieces cut to Clocks by Coldplay. Enough so that my first question became "Is your piece cut to Clocks?" If their answer was Yes, I showed them the door, but invited them back when they did it right.

Use a piece of great buy out music and re-cut your piece. This business is all about challenges.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved