BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Charge Rates etc

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Ledger
Charge Rates etc
on Feb 1, 2008 at 11:22:25 am

Hi Guys,

I've been doing motion work in AE and others as a hobby for about the last 5 years. Mainly producing 1-3 minute long pieces for showing behind a catwalk show for a friend's company. These normally take me around 12 - 15 hours work time to produce. I'm supplied normally the images and then I incorporate these into a 3d production. the guidence given to me is normally "it is going to a opera type show" or "a 40's style" and I have to come up with the idea. So far every one done has been well received.

As payment i normally get about $400 for each piece.

My friend is getting more demanding and on some occasions only gives me 48hrs before an event to produce something. My work is shown worldwide. I don't do contracts etc as this is a good friend, but maybe I should?

If I want to step this hobby up a level, where should I be pitching myself regarding rates. Do most charge an hourly rate or a rate for each job? Am I massively undercharging or overcharging or am I about right? Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
Re: Charge Rates etc
on Feb 1, 2008 at 11:52:32 am

I would recommend using the search engine and look for the word "rates" and start there. There is tons on this subject already in previous threads. Then, after having done that, ask more specific questions. So far, your questions are pretty general and there is a lot of feedback already in this forum that you can draw upon.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ronlindeboom
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
Join the COW's LinkedIn Group

Now in the COW Magazine: Commercials. A look at the history, strategy, techniques and production workflows of successful commercials. All brought to you by some of the COW's brightest members. Accept no substitutes!

Would you like to be in Creative COW Magazine with your story or contributi...

Do you have your complimentary subscription to Creative COW Magazine yet?

Return to posts index

Mark Ledger
on Feb 1, 2008 at 12:01:00 pm

Thanks Ron,

Will do, keep on forgetting about the search engine. It already seems that I'm underpricing my self.

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Feb 1, 2008 at 12:07:32 pm

Yes, for the hours involved, the price does seem low. There are many back threads that explore many great ideas and techniques, you would be well served to explore some of them.

As I said, this is a common question here and so you can even find great ideas just by going back over the last few months and looking at the questions and answers on the board.

I am not trying to be cold or callus with you, it is just that this same question keeps coming up over and over on this board and if people don't do a little bit of preemptive digging here on their own, this forum and its leaders will begin excusing themselves from the discussions here. ;o)

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ronlindeboom
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
Join the COW's LinkedIn Group

Now in the COW Magazine: Commercials. A look at the history, strategy, techniques and production workflows of successful commercials. All brought to you by some of the COW's brightest members. Accept no substitutes!

Would you like to be in Creative COW Magazine with your story or contributi...

Do you have your complimentary subscription to Creative COW Magazine yet?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 1, 2008 at 4:58:13 pm

[Ron Lindeboom] "I am not trying to be cold or callus with you..."

It just comes naturally... :} :) :)

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Feb 1, 2008 at 6:24:22 pm

Yes, and I wish I had 48 hours in a day and two more coders just to do all the things that we have on the plate right now. Oh, and a million dollars or so to throw at the issues.

Sorry to be bitchie but I get that way when people won't bother to look at the questions that are already on the screen (that come up with a default loading of the threads) and do a little digging, instead of adding the same one again and again.

Sorry, I gotta go have some coffee. Wait, I gave up coffee the other day and am having serious caffeine withdrawals.

Damn, that cup of coffee smells good, Kathlyn. Uh, Kathlyn, I think UPS is at the door -- wanna go check and see? Oh, don't carry your coffee cup with you, they may have some packages that you will have to carry. You didn't hear them? I swear that I just heard the truck in the driveway. What do you mean the driveway's empty? I think they just pulled around on the grass and are trying the side door for some reason. Don't you wanna go check? Wait. Put down that coffee cup and leave it here. If they drove on the grass, you'll need your hands free to push that damned truck off the grass -- or give them hand gestures, or something.

Anyone have a Red Bull or one of them Monster drinks? Maybe a Rock Star?

Boomer

Return to posts index

Bruce Bennett
on Feb 1, 2008 at 2:15:16 pm

Mark,

As a Producer who subs out AE work, I need to budget for the AE final deliverables well in advance to starting my projects. After a few years of experience and working with different AE artists with different skill levels, a person can get a good idea on what you can get for the budget (and what to budget for what you want as deliverables).

Around here in Madison, WI, I find:
- Most AE artists base their final deliverables on an hourly rate.
- Basic skill level people/companies charge about $50/hour and higher end skill level people/companies charge about $100/hour.
- These rates are for “creation” vs. rendering time. Rendering time is typically billed at a lower hourly rate.
- Also, these rates are for established professionals/businesses that do graphics work for a living.

Your $400 divided by 15 hours = about $27/hour. I would say your pricing is about where it should be, or maybe a tad bit low, for a “paid hobby.”

Bruce

Bruce Bennett,
Bennett Marketing & Media Production, LLC
http://www.bmmp.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]