BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Motion Graphics Rate Increase

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tim bowenMotion Graphics Rate Increase
by on Jan 31, 2008 at 5:47:42 pm

Hi Guys,

I am in the Los Angeles market, and have a freelance client who has been pretty consistent with work the last 6 months. By consistent I mean 2-3 weeks of work a month. I enjoy working there, and it's close by to home. I think my rate is fair relative to my experience, but have been told by some fellow motion graphics artists that I could be charging more for my work. Some have even suggested $15.00 per hour more. I have been charging my current rate for about 10 months. Any advice on raising my rate and when on a favored client?

I've been doing MoGraph for 3 years and finished certified training in 2006.

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Motion Graphics Rate Increase
by on Jan 31, 2008 at 6:00:59 pm

The cost of living goes up each year, so to do people's hourly rates. Just inform the client nicely of your 2008 rate, then ask nicely if that presents a problem for them.

Few here in L.A. could or would argue that the cost of living has gone down, but the client might not have the extra money in their budget, in which case see what you can negotiate.

David Roth Weiss
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Brendan CootsRe: Motion Graphics Rate Increase
by on Feb 1, 2008 at 2:16:06 am

This is a classic argument that there isn't much of a firm solution for. Artists ALWAYS think they are worth more (more importantly, they are always telling other artists to charge more), and people who hire these artists see their budgets getting smaller every year and thus have less to offer artists. Who is right in this situation? Neither and both.

For both the artist and the hiring production company, you charge what you can and still get work. You will just have to take the chance that your "new" rate won't price you out of the market.

Bear in mind that the economy is sagging, not the best environment to raise rates, but that's a call everyone has to make on their own.

Brendan Coots

Splitvision Digital

Return to posts index

Rick DolishnyRe: Motion Graphics Rate Increase
by on Feb 1, 2008 at 2:18:17 am

Loved your reel and your site was very clean and easy to navigate. I particularly appreciated the shot list, although it would have been perfect if it popped up along the side or in an new window while the video was playing.

Having said that, and the reason for mentioning this, is that your reel is awesome, your site is very good, you should be near the top of your league in terms of rate.

Not knowing what your rate is now makes a raise of $15/h hard to comment on. But you are at a the level where you should be comfortably living off your skillset.

Rick Dolishny
Discrete Editors COW Leader

Return to posts index

Christian GlaweRe: Motion Graphics Rate Increase
by on Feb 2, 2008 at 4:21:26 am

Very nice reel, Tim!

As far as raising your rates - I think you need to give notice ahead of time if it's a "new rate for 2008". By that, I mean doing a letter around December 1st or so: "with increased cost of doing business... yada... yada....". I think if you say, "my rate is now this, starting Monday", you're risking the relationship.

Another tact would be to talk to the client coming up on an anniversary of when you started doing work for them ("I've been working on this project for a year now...."). Sounds like this opportunity may be coming up for you.

Not knowing your rate, I don't know what percentage increase $15/hr. represents.. but if it's anything more than 7-10%, you may be fighting an uphill battle.

One other thought... sounds like this is a pretty comfortable gig for you. You could try just keeping your rate with them for now (or asking for a modest 5% bump), but any *new* clients are the +$15/hr. rate. See if you can attract work at the new rate. If so, you have much more leverage with the existing client ("I'm getting x for this type of work with my other clients...")

Good luck... let us know how it works out.

Christian Glawe
Read my blog:
Pain is temporary... film is forever.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved