BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Smaller Bars

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Randall Raymond
Smaller Bars
on Jan 29, 2008 at 4:59:47 am

Candy bars. Hershey is raising their prices 13%

Would you...

Keep the candy bars the same size and charge more?

Reduce the size/weight of the bars by 13% or more?

Do a little of both to ease the pain?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Smaller Bars
on Jan 29, 2008 at 5:14:34 am

[Randall Raymond] "Would you keep the candy bars the same size and charge more?"

I can tell you how this issue was handled by the Jack Daniels Distillery.

JD kept the price the same and simply added water, thus lowering the product from 86 to 80 proof. In their case, loyal customers were outraged and many vowed never to buy the product again. So, I guess the point is, you can't ever win by lowering your standards...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Jan 29, 2008 at 7:06:30 am

David

Only you would know this.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
Sony EX-1 has arrived and it's fascinating.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jan 30, 2008 at 4:31:41 am

[David Roth Weiss] "JD kept the price the same and simply added water, thus lowering the product from 86 to 80 proof. In their case, loyal customers were outraged and many vowed never to buy the product again. So, I guess the point is, you can't ever win by lowering your standards..."

Man, this kind of stuff happens all the time. I'm still hacked off about A-1 sauce. A few years ago they added a bunch of water to their recipe and began marketing their bottles as having 10% more FREE! Dirtbags...

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Jan 30, 2008 at 8:17:39 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "JD kept the price the same and simply added water, thus lowering the product from 86 to 80 proof. In their case, loyal customers were outraged and many vowed never to buy the product again."

I've always preferred George Dickel, instead.

I think I heard somewhere that Hershey bars were once bigger than they are now. As opposed to Pepsi, which famously went from 6 to 12 ounces when there was a bottle shortage.

Arnie

Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman

http://www.arniepix.com/blog

Return to posts index

Christian Glawe
on Jan 29, 2008 at 6:08:18 am

I would issue a series of wrappers (collect all eight!), each with a picture of an Upper Crust Executive on it. I would call the marketing campaign "Take His Bonus" - for every wrapper code you enter in on the Hershey's website, Hershey rebates you 50 cents, which is taken directly out of some board members year-end bonus!

Then, I would sit back and watch the sales soar!

Christian Glawe
editor/compositor
http://www.christianglawe.com
Read my blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/blog/111
Pain is temporary... film is forever.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 29, 2008 at 4:01:51 pm

A marketing guy would charge the same price, make the bar the same length but narrower, and call the new smaller bar "lower-calorie diet size". People will rationalize that since it's a diet version, they can get away with eating two instead of one, same as they do now with Halloween "fun size". Marketing guy retires to a tropical island.

"Oh, you wanted to RECORD that?"

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jan 30, 2008 at 5:14:31 am

[Mark Suszko] "A marketing guy would charge the same price, make the bar the same length but narrower, and call the new smaller bar "lower-calorie diet size". People will rationalize that since it's a diet version, they can get away with eating two instead of one, same as they do now with Halloween "fun size". Marketing guy retires to a tropical island."

I don't know if it's still on the market but Milky Way used to have a "lite" bar that did exactly that. It was made exactly the same as the regular Milky Way bar except a bit smaller.

-A

Return to posts index

Randall Raymond
on Jan 30, 2008 at 5:28:47 am

[Andrew Kimery] "I don't know if it's still on the market but Milky Way used to have a "lite" bar that did exactly that. It was made exactly the same as the regular Milky Way bar except a bit smaller."

Yeah, with more air in it. Kinda the way we do things...

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 30, 2008 at 3:31:14 pm

Three Musketeers Bar got it's name from being made with three types of filling: chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry nugat. Some time in the mists of ancient history, they dropped the strawberry component for reasons unknown, but kept the name.

Comedians will tell you, universally, the funniest candybar name is Zagnut. I like Zagnut bars. I LOVE their old commercial, which has the feel of a Stan Freeberg work., dunno if it was his but has his flavor on it. Description:
Two executives are touring a candy plant, discussing the new candy they are going to market. They go on about how great the bar tastes, as they reveal that they were using a newfangled computer to help pick the best name for the product. The head suit asks what the computer came up with. The junior exec proudly exclaims; "ZAGNUT!".

The Head Suit goes ballistic, saying this is the stupidest name for a candybar he's ever heard of and that nobody in their right mind is going to buy a candybar called Zagnut, no matter HOW good it tastes.

By this time, the tour has arrived at the shipping and packing department, where we see the situation is a fait accompli', as the infinitely huge warehouse is already brimming with cases and palletloads of candy all branded "ZAGNUT".

The Head Suit sighs resignedly and says something like, "oh hell, might as well give it a try".

"Oh, you wanted to RECORD that?"

Return to posts index

George Socka
on Jan 31, 2008 at 3:17:04 am

At the other end of the scale, adobe added more to CS3 than was in CS2 ( flash, ultra, on location, illustrator?? ) and took out only Audition, and AFAIK, kept the price about the same.

George Socka
BeachDigital
http://www.beachdigital.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]