BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

can i have a cell number for a city if i dont live there?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dave morgan
can i have a cell number for a city if i dont live there?
on Jan 25, 2008 at 6:32:45 am

if i want to get a cell number for a city, but my business isn't located there. is it ok to get a cell number for that city. so people in that city can just call a local number?

now i know i am able to get one. Im just unsure if it was illegal or something to have a cell number if you are not based out of that city,

thanks

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Re: can i have a cell number for a city if i dont live there?
on Jan 25, 2008 at 6:43:25 am

I live in Phoenix which is 350 miles from LA. A lot of people who live here have mobile phones with a 310 area code which is the area code for Hollywood. It seems like the Hollywood types will only call you back if you have an LA phone number. So, the answer is yes and you can get a phone over the internet.

You can also gat a land line that forwards to your cell but you probably want the new number to come up on caller ID, right.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
Sony EX-1 has arrived and it's fascinating.

Return to posts index

Christian Glawe
on Jan 25, 2008 at 6:51:43 pm

Not to nit-pick (and as a point of interest/trivia) - buuutttt:

Technically, the area code for "Hollywood" is 323. More importantly, "310" is the area code for Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, Venice, etc... the places where the big people who *work* in Hollywood, actually *live*.

There's *scores* of people who live in "the 323" (Hollywood), "the 213" (downtown) and "the 818" (the Valley), who have coveted "310" cell phones.

I got mine by using a friend's address, changing my credit card to said friend's address, getting the cell phone account, and then changing the address on the credit card account back after a few weeks. Since I was in the middle of relocating to LA at the time, and staying with said friend, I can't see how this would be illegal in any way. I'm sure there are other ways to accomplish this, as well.

I actually live about 8 blocks too far east to technically live in "the 310"...

Christian Glawe editor/compositor christianglawe.com Read my blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/blog/111 Pain is temporary... film is forever.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Jan 26, 2008 at 9:25:52 am

[Christian Glawe] "Not to nit-pick"

Oh please do. We're all here for networking and edumacational purposes.

Thanks for the clarification.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
Sony EX-1 has arrived and it's fascinating.

Return to posts index

Todd at Fantastic Plastic
on Jan 25, 2008 at 2:10:13 pm

Yep... that's actually done all the time, and not just for cell phones but for land lines too.

Look in the phone book, almost every sizable city in the country has a listing for a florist called "Madison Florist" or "Charleston Florist" or whatever your city happens to be. There's a local number printed, but no address. Call the number and they simply answer "Flower Shop, can I help you?"

You are really calling somewhere else (I think it's New York, but I can't remember), where they take your order and then call a local florist in your city and book a delivery.

Just last week I called an appliance repairman to fix a washing machine that decided to misbehave.... he had a local number (even the same prefix as my home number), but after some questioning I learned he was actually almost 100 miles away.

I'm not sure what they do is all that ethical, because in the case of that florist they still position themselves as local, even if asked about it. But to answer the original question... yes, you can get a number.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Rick Dolishny
on Jan 28, 2008 at 8:08:46 pm

Toronto's coveted code is 416 and I called and asked for one when getting my cel phone, even though I was in the dreary 905 at the time.

That was many years ago but I don't think it's in any way illegal.

If I have to pick a 416 (local) or 905 I pick the 416 all the time. I forward it to my home edit suite all the time and pay the long distance charges only. Clients love it. Despite it's deserved bad reputation, Rogers is quite flexible in this regard.

---
Rick Dolishny
Discrete Editors COW Leader
http://www.thecreativeprocess.ca

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]