BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Business networking for newcomer to the field

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric BrodeurBusiness networking for newcomer to the field
by on Jan 17, 2008 at 10:35:54 pm

I'm a newcomer to editing (didn't go to film school) and have a question about networking with others in Los Angeles.

I'd like to meet other editors, filmmakers, and producers. Can anyone recommend the best organizations and associations to participate in LA? Some ideas:

-- IFP West
-- FCP User Group
-- Below the Line events/screenings
-- Film festivals
-- Training & coursework

Of course there is word of mouth and meeting friends of friends working in the business.

Return to posts index

joel jacksonRe: Business networking for newcomer to the field
by on Jan 17, 2008 at 11:38:14 pm

In my experience professional societies are great to meet your competitors and to get an occasional job. I'd start by targeting a certain market (probably not national TV or Film)like corporate B2B, POS marketing companies or something a bit off the radar.

Also, if your the creative type find someone that is your counterpart in sales and marketing to help sell you, generate leads, and to overall get your name out there.

Get a demo online if you don't have one and start combing the production websites, craigslist, ad agency boards, and the like for freelance ops (be careful there area lot of vultures out there).

The reel is the most important thing and personality a close second.

Once you get the first big hit others are sure to follow.

my 2

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved