BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

pricing for cable programming

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
john josephpricing for cable programming
by on Jan 10, 2008 at 4:10:19 am

My company has been operating as a post facility for broadcast tv producers for years in addition to producing DVDs for the home video market. Up to now we have not created original programming which we sold directly to a cable network.
We are considering creating our own original shows to sell to various cable nets. My question is, how much do networks pay for magazine type shows. I understand that the scale is quite broad and prices vary by type of program and specific network. A range and examples would be very helpful.

I would like to consider the econimics of this endeavor before we begin to develop any concepts.

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: pricing for cable programming
by on Jan 10, 2008 at 11:19:34 am

Honestly I've heard numbers from $10,000 - $100,000 per episode. The average seems to be $25,000 - $40,000 per episode.

Newer shows generally get on the low end of the scale unless you're bringing in a major star.

An excellent resource for questions like this is the ReelScreen Summit which is held in Washington DC each year. I went two years ago and have never had one on one face time with the heads of Discovery, History Channel, TLC, Food Network and several others like I did there. You can flat out ask them what their target budgets are and what they are looking for in the new season.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

The new Color Training DVD now available from the Creative Cow!

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved