BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Advice needed regarding DVD sales

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Karl SoehnleinAdvice needed regarding DVD sales
by on Jan 5, 2008 at 8:20:36 pm

Hi all,

I just finalized a deal with a client where I earn a portion of their DVD sales in addition to production costs of the video. My two questions:

1) In the contract, how do I state that I get paid "forever" (for lack of a better term) for sales of this DVD.

2) How often should I request getting paid for my portion of the sales? I'm not expecting a huge profit, so I'm tempted to request every three months.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Karl Soehnlein
Reel Wave Media

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: Advice needed regarding DVD sales
by on Jan 5, 2008 at 9:55:23 pm

[Karl Soehnlein] "1) In the contract, how do I state that I get paid "forever" (for lack of a better term) for sales of this DVD."

Perpetuity (check the spelling). This means forever, as in "client shall pay me for this title for perpetuity."

[Karl Soehnlein] "2) How often should I request getting paid for my portion of the sales? I'm not expecting a huge profit, so I'm tempted to request every three months."

I would go with every two months.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR
The new Color Training DVD now available from the Creative Cow!

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Steve WargoRe: Advice needed regarding DVD sales
by on Jan 6, 2008 at 7:27:34 am

1. "Forever and into perpetuity"

2. If it sells a lot, monthly. Sparse sales-quarterly.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
Sony EX-1 has arrived and it's fascinating.

Return to posts index

Mike SmithRe: Advice needed regarding DVD sales
by on Jan 7, 2008 at 9:45:03 am

Beyond getting the terms right, you might want to think about how you can monitor / audit what sales actually are, to make sure both parties receive fair payment.

If you can't arrange to handle sales directly and you don't think there'll be enough revenue to justify using a third-party fulfilment firm, might it be worth setting up a distinct trading name with bank account for distribution of this project? This could handle all advertising and sales, so that audit is easy, cheap, and doesn't trigger resistance.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]