BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Selling interview footage for broadcast

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony MilesSelling interview footage for broadcast
by on Dec 24, 2007 at 4:53:59 pm

I have a documentary that has some great interviews in it. A broadcaster in a territory that I have not sold the documentary to is asking for a price on some of the interviews from my footage for a tv documentary on the same or similar subject in their market. The people in my documentary are word renowned experts and authours and the footage is pretty well shot HDV.

1. Any idea on how to find out what the going rate is in different territories for footage and/or the documentary itself?

2.I have signed releases on all my footage from the experts, should I pay them a percentage if I sell the footage they are in? Should I contact them first?

3. Anyone know a good trust worthy sales agent for something like our project?

Thank you very much for any information, it is greatly needed & appreciated here. We are currently selling the DVD ourselves and it is available here:
Link to documentary:

Link to trailer in HD quicktime.

Warm regards,
Anthony Miles

Return to posts index

Brendan CootsRe: Selling interview footage for broadcast
by on Dec 25, 2007 at 7:28:40 pm

What terms do your model releases stipulate? Any and all uses free of royalties? Most model releases are fairly generic and cover only the production at hand, which doesn't give you infinite right to resell that person's interviews without compensation.

As for selling price, there probably isn't a "standard" price, given that it completely depends on who was interviewed, how in demand they are etc. You are going to just have to negotiate.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved