BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott WhitneyLinking
by on Dec 17, 2007 at 6:29:27 pm

Providing a link to your website is pretty important these days from a SEO standpoint. Has anyone had any success by leaving their link in various message forums?

I have been giving more thought as to what forums our potential clients may be viewing. Naturally, part of the process is identifying and targeting your client base. My company's core is centered around instructional and marketing videos. Would anyone have any suggestions as to what message boards or forums that base may be studying?

Thank you,

Scott Whitney
Bright Circle, Inc.
Orlando, Fl
"We put the Idea in Media"

Return to posts index

John DavidsonRe: Linking
by on Dec 17, 2007 at 7:32:02 pm

I've had great success linking my site on pay services like LA411. By success I mean I get tons of calls and emails from people I don't know looking for jobs and offering services that I don't need. I have never, ever, ever gotten work from website views only.

The reality is that in all levels of this industry most people that hire out aren't highly technical - and aren't very good at hitting industry websites, either. Typically, my clients are too busy sitting in meetings all day. My clients hire people they know, or people that are referred to them by people they know. If they exhaust all resources, the most they'll do is look through the endless pile of reels they get.

Now don't get me wrong - the website is important as heck. It's like an online storefront explaining what you do and can make the difference when you meet someone, exchange cards, and then they check out your site to confirm you're for real.

So get that 2008 Showreel together, make it match with your website, and give yourself a big marketing push at the first of the year by hitting the pavement and networking like the wind.

My two cents. Happy Holidays!

John Davidson____ writer | producer | director____

Return to posts index

Brendan CootsRe: Linking
by on Dec 18, 2007 at 6:52:47 am

Many forums use what's known as "no-follow" links, meaning search engine spiders will NOT crawl those links to your site. Many search engine spiders won't crawl message board posts regardless, since they have been a haven for spammers for many years now.

If you want to improve SEO here's a few ideas:

- Paying for links to your site is a huge boost if done correctly. Find sites with a high page rank and similar topics/subject matter, and offer to pay them to link to your site from their home page. The trick is that the link should contain a keyword you are targeting, such as "Orlando video production." if this sounds too complicated, consider a link-buying service like

- Make sure text on your site is extremely refined and targeted to your key words. This doesn't necessarily mean saying "video production" over and over, but your pages should be very well defined, including proper title and keyword metatags.

- Use a program like WebCEO to manage your keyword campaigns. This program helps you decide which key words are worth targeting and optimize your site. Then it shows your site's rankings for those keywords so you can track results over time.

Return to posts index

Scott WhitneyRe: Linking
by on Dec 19, 2007 at 6:17:06 pm

Brendan, thanks for the input. I'll have to check out WebCEO.

Scott Whitney
Bright Circle, Inc.
Orlando, Fl
"We put the Idea in Media"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved