BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Rush and Holiday Fees

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick OrtmanRush and Holiday Fees
by on Dec 6, 2007 at 4:25:32 pm

Hi Folks,

When a client comes to you right before you're supposed to leave for a well-earned vacation and demands that you drop everything and do the (almost) impossible for them- I'm talking creating a 30 second spot from scratch to air nationally on cable starting in late December- how do you deal with this? Surely, said client really ought to pay a premium for one's heroic efforts.

And of course, this is a client I like. I want to help them, even if they sometimes ask for very difficult things. So laughing at them and saying 'no way' isn't really an option.

---------------------
http://www.geniusmonkeys.com
(818) 653-9144

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: Rush and Holiday Fees
by on Dec 6, 2007 at 5:04:42 pm

if it cuts into your vacation, yep.

if it's while you're open for normal hours, nope.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR
The new Color Training DVD now available from the Creative Cow!

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Patrick OrtmanRe: Rush and Holiday Fees
by on Dec 6, 2007 at 5:18:37 pm

Yep, not only cuts into vacation (pretty much kills it actually) but also causes tremendous year-end stress. By the way, Walter- your Color DVD is awesome.

---------------------
(818) 653-9144

Return to posts index

John DavidsonRe: Rush and Holiday Fees
by on Dec 6, 2007 at 11:16:03 pm

How intricate does the spot need to be? You should be able to turn it around pretty darned fast if they're that desperate. Perhaps they can skip the annoyances like storyboards and put this on the approvals fast track.

The less people you have on their end the faster it goes.

Worst case, send them to a rival production company in LA. Hmmm...I wonder who you could call...

Return to posts index

by on Dec 6, 2007 at 11:44:25 pm

:-) That's EXACTLY what I did- we met, and cut storyboards, simplified things quite a lot, and generally reduced expectations. Now it'll get done, before my much-needed vacation, and it'll be good- not an award winner, but good. And given the mess they're in, they client's pretty happy.

Now the big trick- how does one turn a client like this into an informed, educated partner?

You know, the kind of client who doesn't freak you out on a regular basis :-).

---------------------
(818) 653-9144

Return to posts index

beenyweeniesRe: Rush and Holiday Fees
by on Dec 6, 2007 at 5:24:25 pm

Personally I think you're asking the wrong question. The question is, how MUCH do you like the client and how MUCH do you need the work? You're not a slave, you get to choose which jobs to take and which to pass on. If you need a vacation, tell them you aren't available. If you like the client or need the money, take the job. But by charging a large premium simply because the timing is inconvenient for you is probably going to damage your relationship with the client and isn't entirely fair business practice.

Rush fees are another issue, and if that turnaround is too quick for your shop then by all means apply a rush charge. Nothing too out of the ordinary there.

Return to posts index

Raymond Motion PicturesRe: Rush and Holiday Fees
by on Dec 6, 2007 at 11:42:10 pm

Who the heck do you think you are taking a vacation? Sheesh!

Can't you bang something out in a day or two with existing footage and maybe a quick shoot and give it to him for a Christmas present? He won't forget that one.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 6, 2007 at 11:47:10 pm

LOL, you know what's funny? That's basically what we're doing- reusing a lot of old stuff and diving into After Effects and Shake (with help from Imagineer Systems too) to do some nifty repurposing. It's not gonna be awesome, but it'll be good- and the client is thrilled ("What, you can extract an actor from this old commercial and put him in a new one?").

The trick now is converting this client into someone who works WITH us, rather than someone who springs crazy on us at the last minute. Any tips for that? :-)

---------------------
(818) 653-9144

Return to posts index

by on Dec 6, 2007 at 11:48:00 pm

ps: Raymond, I know you were being a bit sarcastic. :-)))))

---------------------
(818) 653-9144

Return to posts index

Raymond Motion PicturesRe: Rush and Holiday Fees
by on Dec 6, 2007 at 11:57:40 pm

[Patrick Ortman] "The trick now is converting this client into someone who works WITH us, rather than someone who springs crazy on us at the last minute. Any tips for that? :-)"

A frontal lobotomy? (He'll smile a lot and be a perfect client) "How's this breathing mask going to help me see my project in 3-D?"

"Don't worry, this won't hurt a bit..."

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: Rush and Holiday Fees
by on Dec 7, 2007 at 12:01:15 am

[Patrick Ortman] "The trick now is converting this client into someone who works WITH us, rather than someone who springs crazy on us at the last minute. Any tips for that?"

Yes, Patrick, there is indeed a way to accomplish this: You ask them to come here to the COW's Business & Marketing forum and give their views on why they think this is a good way to work, and we will play Point/Counter-Point with them.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ronlindeboom
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
Join the COW's LinkedIn Group

Now in the COW Magazine: Commercials. A look at the history, strategy, techniques and production workflows of successful commercials. All brought to you by some of the COW's brightest members. Accept no substitutes!

Do you have your complimentary subscription to Creative COW Magazine yet?

Return to posts index

Steve WargoVacation ??????????
by on Dec 7, 2007 at 12:04:39 am

"Vacation" Wasn't that the name of a Chevy Chase movie? I didn't think it was a real thing.

By the way, we have a weekday rate and a night time rate and a Saturday rate and a Sunday rate. I find it amazing how clients think that we should charge the very same thing for Sunday morning at 5am as we do on Monday afternoon at 2pm.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
Sony EX-1 on the way.

Return to posts index

Raymond Motion PicturesRe: Vacation ??????????
by on Dec 7, 2007 at 12:10:22 am

[Steve Wargo] "Sunday morning at 5am"

That's our "Hungover and going to church and swear never to do it again" RATE. We try and cover all the bases...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]