BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Project Manangement Program

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tylereditProject Manangement Program
by on Nov 26, 2007 at 3:41:22 pm

I work for a fairly large real estate development company and have a video staff of 5. We are looking for a program or template that we could use to better manage our projects so that everyone is on the same page and can see where each project is at. Right now, everyone is basically just doing there own thing and there is nothing overseeing the completion of each project. It would be much easier if when the VP of Communications asks me how each project is going I would have this to show each projects status.

Please help.

Return to posts index

MindYourVideoBusinessRe: Project Manangement Program
by on Nov 26, 2007 at 7:37:54 pm

I use .Mac through the Apple website. Basically, you set up a project, create a calendar in iCal, synchronize the calendar in the .Mac project and invite each member of the project team via email. Once they subscribe to the project and to the calendar, they will get every email that you or anyone on the project sends to the .Mac project email address which keeps everyone up to date with the status of the project.

I take it a step further by asking my team to post a project update email for each project once per day. This allows me to see where each project is at the end of the day on my iPhone or as I'm wrapping up to leave the studio.

You'll have to pay $99 per year for the .Mac account but everyone else can subscribe to your projects with a free email address. All in all, it's pretty easy and has worked well for a staff of 7.

Let me know if I can help you in anyway.

Kristopher G. Simmons

Video Business Coach

Return to posts index

Timothy J. AllenRe: Project Manangement Program
by on Nov 26, 2007 at 9:23:48 pm

I just use Microsoft Project. It can be bulky, but the guys who write the checks understand it, and it's been through years of testing. ;-)

We looked at ScheduAll many times over the years, and if I was starting from scratch, that's what I would use.

The .mac option may work well - I haven't tried that, but we are a PC based organization, so that option would be hard to sell here.

Return to posts index

beenyweeniesRe: Project Manangement Program
by on Nov 28, 2007 at 1:00:11 am

Similar to the .mac concept, we are using our Leopard-based Xserve to provide centraizedl Wiki/iCal services. Since the two are integrated you can use the wiki for project management/notes etc., and the calendar for scheduling things. You can also use the Directory for managing assets such as cameras etc and "check them out" so you know the status of your gear, resources, people and more at a glance.

Of course, this is an expensive solution (about $3k) but since it provides many other valuable services to video organizations so it's worth it IMO.

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: Project Manangement Program
by on Nov 29, 2007 at 4:11:14 am

we have a person who is in charge of managing the project schedules, and is updated regarding milestones met or missed, and she tracks this in Excel (when we remember to tell her!)

If you do not have a full time person at your disposal, I like the wiki idea and we are waiting for some downtime expected in 2011 to try this out :) Or try using a free online forum service. We tried that years ago and it would have been effective if not for the pushback from the IT we fired the IT department!

Seriously, my dream is to have a customized web-based tracking system with simple drop down menus, for a one-page global view of projects, and each person logs in when they complete a task.

If our current web guy gets some free time maybe he will build this. Shouldn't be too hard for someone with good php skills.

Return to posts index

Jacki SchklarRe: Project Manangement Program
by on Jul 23, 2008 at 9:14:38 pm

Mike, I think what you were asking for is now here...

Return to posts index

Rick DolishnyRe: Project Manangement Program
by on Nov 30, 2007 at 7:00:57 pm

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Basecamp.

As a PM I used it to manage crews/talent/locations and scripts for a video podcast that ran for several months, and I upgraded it since then to handle three separate businesses.

The ability to write scripts and make trackable modifications completely eliminated Microsoft Word which was a godsend for my virtual companies. And the pro-level included FTP access and messaging has pretty much eliminated email. That was a hard one to adopt, but without endless "cc" and email threads I could concentrate of just getting work done.

Email me offline for a walkthrough.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved