BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Freelance "Hold" Question

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chip HessFreelance "Hold" Question
by on Nov 12, 2007 at 6:16:25 pm

Not sure if this 'belongs' on this forum, but it doesn't seem to really fit elsewhere. Here goes!

How do others handle the concept of being 'on hold'?
I can't tell you how many times I have had a booking cancelled. Sometimes at the expense of other possibilities, sometimes not.
I once had a client offer to pay a 'cancellation' fee. Is this normal operating procedure, once a firm booking is established?
Does one charge anything for being 'on hold' and then not actually booked?

What do other folks charge for cancellation, or not being used after being on hold?

I realize nothing is set it stone, but the experiences of others in similar situations would certainly be appreciated, thanks!

Return to posts index

JumpCut EdRe: Freelance "Hold" Question
by on Nov 12, 2007 at 10:37:08 pm

Try posting to the Business & Marketing forum.

Return to posts index

Chip HessRe: Freelance "Hold" Question
by on Nov 12, 2007 at 10:55:35 pm

Thanks much - wish I could delete this one now ...

Return to posts index

Danny LittwinRe: Freelance "Hold" Question
by on Nov 23, 2007 at 12:56:17 pm

When a client asks me to "hold" a date I do not consider it to be a firm booking. If I get a job offer for the same time, I call the client with the "hold" and tell them. At that point it is up to them to cancel the hold or place a firm booking.

I have never charged anything for a "hold." The understanding is that the client has the right of first refusal. After placing a "firm" then the client assumes whatever liabilities are usual under the circumstances. There are some clients that I do not accept holds from, only firm bookings with guarantees.

If a client cancels a firm booking in close date proximity to the work date then a cancellation fee is usual, though not always mandatory. If a major client of mine cancels a
job, I will assume it is due to circumstance beyond their control and not request any fees,
knowing that they will call me first for the next couple of shows. Sometimes they pay me a fee in any case. You have to determine the nature of each client relationship.

And you have to be firm, professional and as friendly as possible. Asking clients for money
is tough enough, it is even tougher when no work was done. The trick is to keep their respect and make them comfortable doing business with you.

Hope this helps

Just because it's new does not mean it works... it only increases the odds.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved