BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Studio exec fires back in wake of writer's strike...

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Lindeboom
Studio exec fires back in wake of writer's strike...
on Nov 21, 2007 at 7:37:05 pm

This video from YouTube gives the studio's side of the recent Writers Guild strike. I thought that some of you would like to see it and consider its arguments...

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom
creativecow.net
Join my LinkedIn network

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Studio exec fires back in wake of writer's strike...
on Nov 21, 2007 at 8:23:07 pm

Michael Eisner, former head of Disney, was interviewed on TV shortly after the strike began, and he stated that the strike was purely motivated by greed. Pretty insightful from a man who paid himself nearly 500 million dollars in one year. Regarding his role and the role of the studios, he has stated: "We have no obligation to make history. We have no obligation to make art. We have no obligation to make a statement. To make money is our only obligation." Should the people who actually do the creating be any different???

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Raymond Motion Pictures
on Nov 21, 2007 at 9:09:12 pm

[Ron Lindeboom] "This video from YouTube gives the studio's side of the recent Writers Guild strike. I thought that some of you would like to see it and consider its arguments..."

The studio's side? The guy's a writer having a little fun.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Nov 21, 2007 at 9:16:56 pm

[Raymond Motion Pictures] "The studio's side? The guy's a writer having a little fun."

Ron was having fun hoping some silly person would fall for it...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Nov 21, 2007 at 9:24:36 pm

[Raymond Motion Pictures] "The studio's side? The guy's a writer having a little fun."

Nah, really?

;)

My favorite line was the one about "give and take..." -- too funny.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom
creativecow.net
Join my LinkedIn network

Return to posts index

Raymond Motion Pictures
on Nov 21, 2007 at 9:36:38 pm

[Ron Lindeboom] "My favorite line was the one about "give and take..." -- too funny."

And here I was thinking, 'did Ron actually watch this?' I owe you one. ;-)

My favorite was.. 'future movies will have a lot of explosions and people bumping into each other.'

Return to posts index

John Davidson
counterpoint
on Nov 22, 2007 at 1:27:19 am

My production company just lost it's biggest client thanks to this strike. The networks are going into hibernation and that means no outside vendors.

I hope this is worth it. Lots of families that don't get residuals are being thrown under the bus. Post houses are going to go under, production crews are going to starve, and shows are getting killed. The studios aren't right - but you have to wonder if this collateral damage is worth it, especially right before the holidays and right as the economy is taking a turn for the worse.

We're the little kids caught between divorcing parents, and I don't think it's going to be resolved for a long long while.

Return to posts index

Raymond Motion Pictures
Re: counterpoint
on Nov 23, 2007 at 2:33:54 am

[John Davidson] "We're the little kids caught between divorcing parents"

You're caught in a strike. The moral/economic conundrum is the issue. It's always been that way in every strike. They want to bust the Writer's Guild. Join them or fight them. They are counting on you being a self-interested 'neutral party' until they send all your AE work to China or India and their insistence that you 'work' with them.

Once they bust the Writer's Guild, they're out to bust you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]