BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Game-Changer

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Griffin
Game-Changer
on Oct 28, 2007 at 11:26:58 am

If we're lucky a few times a year we'll see something that will make a significant difference in the way we do business -- that will by its very usefulness change the game. The best example of this for me is 15 years ago when we added non-linear editing, and a year later when we added an early version of After Effects. The on-going evolution of both of these continues to change and improve our business. This year I can state without equivocation a new game changer is on the scene. It's called Media Batch.

Media Batch isn't a new NLE, graphics package or even a piece of hardware. Instead it is a dramatic new way of communicating and interacting with clients, remote workers and sub-contractors. Media Batch is a front-end server and replacement for FTP sites, providing an extremely simple means for posting, viewing and commenting on video (as well as many other forms of media) online. After just a couple of weeks of using it we can't imagine not having it around. We've also been able to cut way back on the FedEx-ing of work in progress disks. That alone will pay for Media Batch in a very short time.

I'm planning on writing a more complete review of Media Batch when I get through some of our current projects. But don't wait on this to learn more. Go to:
http://www.mediabatch.com/

Watch the demos. See if you don't agree that this is indeed a game-changer.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: Game-Changer
on Oct 28, 2007 at 5:37:56 pm

Not sure I agree it is a game-changer. I see it as more of a niche service. Some will pay for the software and set it up, then train all their clients to use it. Will work great for them. But many of our clients, especially agencies, have their own sites where we put our sample clips and elements etc and they don't want our solution. We might be different in that regard.

Thier short demos don't hit on any real groundbreakers. It mentions that you can approve a clip, but it looked like it could be approved by only one person. Sometimes you need approval by many. In some ways this looked like a souped up .Mac account. Sure, I have to build the skin, but I still have to train clients where to go to see the clip.

What has workded for us is to send a web link and description to the client which plays off our web site in an FTP directory. We also send emails with JPEGs of the sample layouts or designs. I don't have too many issues with workflow here, except sometimes I agree that certain clients are phobic or untrained in using FTP sites. That has been an issue.

Rather than these services, I wish our browsers would become more compatible with simple FTP transfers with easily customized interfaces. FTP in general seems like it hails from the ero of the Fax. Long gone. But we still use it more than ever. I think Media Batch solves the interface problem.

Our clients have peace of mind knowing that their sometimes sensitive media elements are on our site and not a public site where others might see them. Corporate clients can be pretty particular where we are putting their media files.

Finally, I thought the sight had about 30% too much "glitz" for me. A few less animated buttons and slick Flash interface. It had a bit of the "look at me" affect and was a slight turn off for me.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Oct 28, 2007 at 7:18:38 pm

Hi Rich,

I appreciate your post as it points out some things I should clear up to those that are new to the concept. Some replies below...

[Rich Rubasch] "Not sure I agree it is a game-changer. I see it as more of a niche service. Some will pay for the software and set it up, then train all their clients to use it. Will work great for them. But many of our clients, especially agencies, have their own sites where we put our sample clips and elements etc and they don't want our solution. We might be different in that regard."

Just to clarify, Media Batch isn't an outside service like YouTube or file sharing websites. It's software that lives on your own website server. When I initially created it as proprietary software, I wanted my clients to know that they were sharing files on *my* website and not some other company's website.

Although some agencies have their own file-transferring system in place, it's just that: a file-transferring system. Media Batch is much more than that. It has integrated tools, specific for the media industry that file-transfer systems just don't have. The timecode based FLV viewer with real-time marker-assigned notation and drawing capabilities come to mind! =)

Agencies themselves are doing the switch to Media Batch as well. In fact, there are some big-name companies using Media Batch right within their own internal production workflow. Yahoo! is one of them.

[Rich Rubasch] "Thier short demos don't hit on any real groundbreakers. It mentions that you can approve a clip, but it looked like it could be approved by only one person. Sometimes you need approval by many. In some ways this looked like a souped up .Mac account. Sure, I have to build the skin, but I still have to train clients where to go to see the clip."

I agree, the demos need updating, while some important demos don't exist (I need one for the Directory Manager, Client Portals, global logins and more). In fact, the Approval demo you watched is unfortunately quite out-dated. The latest Approval system allows for multiple degrees of an approval state (not just "Approved") and allows for a note right within the approval as well.

Likewise, more than one person can in fact approve a file(s) if you wish. Just assign each person you want the unique passkey for a specific file(s) will allow them to do so.

It's definitely much different than a .mac account. I didn't want to build something that already existed or put lipstick on a pig (not that .mac is a pig by any stretch). In fact, the reason I built it in the first place (solely as proprietary software in the beginning) was because there was nothing out there that did this and I was willing to pay for it. Since it didn't exist, I built it myself. It wasn't until much later that I decided to turn it into a purchasable product for the masses.

As far as training the client, there really isn't any. You send them the URL and the username/password. That's it. They're presented with a list of files to view/download/review/approve/etc. No special FTP apps. Just a regular http web address.

[Rich Rubasch] "What has workded for us is to send a web link and description to the client which plays off our web site in an FTP directory. We also send emails with JPEGs of the sample layouts or designs. I don't have too many issues with workflow here, except sometimes I agree that certain clients are phobic or untrained in using FTP sites. That has been an issue."

I agree that FTP can be a pain with clients. This was the very initial reason that I developed it. Corporate clients especially don't like (or in some cases can not use) FTP. But anyone can go to an HTTP address.

Prior to creating Media Batch as proprietary, I used to do the same thing: place the files on my site in a directory and they could then go download it. Problem though... I never knew when they actually downloaded the file(s). Media Batch tracks all of this so I know if the client is truly reviewing the work.

The other problem is that some clients didn't know to "right-click-and-save-as" and would play the file in the browser and then ask how to save it. Media Batch alleviates all of this. They can either view the file inline within their browser (with a proper web viewer) or they can download it with a simple click, no matter what file type it is; QuickTime, JPEG, whatever.

The notation feature for each file is quite powerful as well. We recently had a fairly large 3D medical device project that we finished (under OneRiver Media) and there's no way everyone in the project (spanning from California, Florida and Germany) could have conveyed the intricate information about each animation step without the notes pertaining to each file.

[Rich Rubasch] "Rather than these services, I wish our browsers would become more compatible with simple FTP transfers with easily customized interfaces. FTP in general seems like it hails from the ero of the Fax. Long gone. But we still use it more than ever. I think Media Batch solves the interface problem."

Again, Media Batch isn't a service, but an integrated "interface" of sorts, that lives on your own website. But more importantly, it's much more than an interface for file-sharing; it's a complete review and approval system where clients have unique tools for viewing these files.

[Rich Rubasch] "Our clients have peace of mind knowing that their sometimes sensitive media elements are on our site and not a public site where others might see them. Corporate clients can be pretty particular where we are putting their media files."

Agreed! This is why Media Batch isn't a service, but a system that lives and operates on your own website. =)

[Rich Rubasch] "Finally, I thought the sight had about 30% too much "glitz" for me. A few less animated buttons and slick Flash interface. It had a bit of the "look at me" affect and was a slight turn off for me."

Well, I couldn't agree with you more, Rich. Prior to the last NAB (where we had a booth and showed Media Batch for the first time), I needed to get a Media Batch website up and get it up FAST! The Flash-based site that you see now was the fastest way to do it, while keeping it from looking drab and boring. Agreed that there's too much glitz and the entire website will be changed in the next few months, hopefully before the next NAB. With the limited time I had, it's the best I could do without it looking the opposite: plain and taking away from the product. The next website revision will be much better.

Look Rich, it's *really* hard to know what the real benefits are to Media Batch until you start using it in a real production workflow. I've literally had my own clients say they had no idea how the project would have gotten completed as efficiently, timely and *accurately* as it was, had it not been for Media Batch. Like Hairclub For Men, I'm not just the president, I'm a client! =)

Having known you for so long over the years, Rich, I'm so convinced that it can change your workflow that I'll give you a FREE install and license to Media Batch Pro. If you like it and keep using, great. If not and you want to keep using your current methods, no worries. If you're interested, email me offline and I'll set you up.

For those that are interested, we're still running the 20% off discount. Just enter coupon code COW at the check-out stage.

Marco Solorio | CreativeCow Host | OneRiver Media | Codec Resource Site | Cinesoft | Media Batch

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Oct 28, 2007 at 7:26:07 pm

[Rich Rubasch] "certain clients are phobic or untrained in using FTP sites. That has been an issue."

[walter biscardi] "some of our clients, especially the corporate ones, seem to have problems figuring out how to download the clips."

And here I thought it was just my clients who were kind of thick when it comes to file transfer and FTP. Then there's the whole matter of getting an FTP app for them or directing them which to get. Media Batch's interface eliminates that problem entirely.

Out of the eight clients we've had use Media Batch so far, eight have gotten it instantly. That alone makes it highly useful. And the ability to view and/or save makes it far superior to FTP.

[Rich Rubasch] "It mentions that you can approve a clip, but it looked like it could be approved by only one person. Sometimes you need approval by many."

Rich, buddy, you've got to see the real thing rather than just the demo. The ability for everyone to leave notes creates a great environment for group review and approval. Are there other ways of doing this? Of course. But here it's all integrated and working extremely smoothly. The built in ability to leave markers at exact timecode points AND draw on top of the video is something I have not seen elsewhere. Could you develop this and have it as a feature on your own website? Probably, but who has the time to re-invent the wheel? (Or the budget to pay someone to program it for you.)

Speaking of cost, when I first saw the website I was a little put off by the price tag on the pro version. But after having used Media Batch for a couple of weeks I'd easily pay more. (Don't get any ideas, Marco.) Maybe that should be their marketing -- give away a full working version that times out after 30 days. Among serious users the purchase rate then would probably be about 99%.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Oct 28, 2007 at 5:55:44 pm

[Nick Griffin] "
Watch the demos. See if you don't agree that this is indeed a game-changer."

We're installing it in the next few weeks. We use an FTP site right now, but some of our clients, especially the corporate ones, seem to have problems figuring out how to download the clips.

As this was started by Marco Solario, obviously I know it's going to work well.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com

Stop Staring Start Grading with Apple Color The new Color Training DVD now available!
http://store.creativecow.net/p/66/stop_staring_and_start_grading_with_apple...

Read my blog! http://blogs.creativecow.net/WalterBiscardi

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Oct 28, 2007 at 7:21:18 pm

Looking forward to getting you setup, amigo!!! =)

Marco Solorio | CreativeCow Host | OneRiver Media | Codec Resource Site | Cinesoft | Media Batch

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Oct 28, 2007 at 7:24:14 pm

This post comes as a big surprise, Nick! You definitely made my day!!! Thanks a lot for the kind words. Very much appreciated.

Looking forward to releasing more features for you to use.

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Oct 28, 2007 at 7:36:27 pm

Marco-
Obviously you were writing your reply to Rich while I was writing mine. And since you seem to be considering my 30 day free then time-out offer I believe I'm owed a marketing consulting fee. ;)

One thing I really like that I had not commented on before is the history thing -- the ability to actually SEE that Ms. Smarty Pants, who always makes it seem like she's waiting on us, has or hasn't even taken the time to see the work. I know better than to bring this up with her, but it's fun knowing.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Oct 28, 2007 at 9:39:25 pm

Nick,

I 100% agree with you. Media batch is a GAME CHANGER. It's not FTp. It's an incredibly easy to use powerful tool using any browser.

Every one of my many clients who have had the pleasure of interacting with media batch have gone out of their way to describe how easy an experience it is. We are using it in many tradtional and new ways. I can say it is MORE than I thought it was going to be.

It's about the most professional "out of the box" initial software release I have every seen.

You really have to use it to understand how deep it is. There are always people who might say well, why would I use that if I have FTP? But it's like the difference between a MAC and PC, sheer elegance.

Read more about this in a blog I posted a while back.

Davud

Peace and Love :)
Read my Blog
http://blogs.creativecow.net/DavidBattistella

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Oct 28, 2007 at 10:32:44 pm

David -

Your blog post was what prompted me to look at Media Batch in the first place! I looked and looked again a week later at the demo movies and then decided to take the leap.

I FULLY agree with this last post. Media Batch is elegant and deep. (But I won't even get into the Mac / Windows thing since there actually ARE some things on the PC that meet or exceed the Mac experience. Not many, but some.)

My biggest regret is that I approached Media Batch as a user instead of as an investor. Hey, Marco - I've got a few bucks in our IRA account I could see using as an investment. Interested?

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Oct 28, 2007 at 11:12:33 pm

David: Thanks for sharing your user experiences! Just to let everyone know that David has been a fairly long user of Media Batch (in "computer years," months is forever as we all know). He's personally told me many times how much he's loved using it with his clients (and how much his clients love using it). He's also helped in suggesting feature updates which I'm always open to hearing to make it better and better. One of those suggestions will definitely be in the next release as well. I'm not a big corporation like Apple or Adobe; I'm an end-user like everyone here. Like you, I want Media Batch to work better and better for MY production needs as well. The more feedback I get from users only helps me in the end as well! It's that unique position that in some cases, makes my Media Batch development more powerful than Apple or Adobe can do.

Nick: Yes, I'm approached quite a bit about a 30-day try-before-buy request. Currently, there's a 30-day money back guarantee in place, so if for some reason the facility doesn't like it, they get their money back. I can happily say that there's never been a facility to date that's requested a refund.

However, I may opt to change it around a bit. I might change it so people can fill out a form and they get the software with a 30-day license on it. Once they actually buy it, they don't have 30 days for a refund since they've had the chance to use it under the 30-day trial period.

This would probably draw more sales because as you know, it truly is hard to understand the full potential of the software until you actually use it with clients. The demos just don't do justice.

Your check for marketing consultation is in the mail! ;-)

I would have to agree that comparing Media Batch to FTP wouldn't be exactly like Mac vs. PC... I'd say it's more akin to something like fax vs. email (email on an iPhone or something cool like that!).

BTW... I should mention that I'll be showing off Media Batch in person at this Tuesday's SF Cutters meeting in San Francisco. I'll be giving away a Media Batch Pro Platinum Bundle as part of the raffle. All the news is here...

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/127/854676

Philip Hodgetts from Digital Production Buzz will be there as well as Brian Rutz of AJA. Should be a really fun event!

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Oct 28, 2007 at 11:37:25 pm

We started posting videos and other media files to our client website in 2002, but really ramped up this process in the last 18 months.

Our latesxt incarnation has been a game-changer of our own. The changed game is more than just saved shipping costs, but includes satisfied clients who can see revisions within 24 hours or less, and slightly easier for project management as some of the manual labor of tracking comments is automated.

Whether one uses Media Batch, another application or proprietary software as we do, changing work processes to save time and increase client satisfaction is money well spent.

While it is true that some corporate clients do not grasp the "right-click to download" concept, just as some people are not familiar with alt-tab or other "basic" computer functions, most of our clients find it very easy to click on a e-mailed url, login with the supplied password and download files from a basic index.php page.

Lately we have been using e-mail addresses for logins, so people do not need to remember a password, and the database records logins.

Last year we created a content review website of our own, because we needed a way for people to review documents images and flv videos all in one session. Comments on all pieces of media are saved to a database and immediately displayed for others to see.

We simply put a time-code burn on the FLV video and people can easily type the timecode numbers into their comments.

The document review feature was especially important. If you have a half dozen people reviewing a document, options are either send everyone a Word doc, then you need to compare all of the revised documents manually. Another option is to use a separate service such as Writely or Writeboard, but it is a separate application and not as easy to manage. With our system, we simply open the original word doc, then display the comments from the database which are sorted by user and date. It is always being improved.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Oct 29, 2007 at 12:33:39 am

[Mike Cohen] "Last year we created a content review website of our own, because we needed a way for people to review documents images and flv videos all in one session. Comments on all pieces of media are saved to a database and immediately displayed for others to see."

Hey Mike. Thanks for the replies. Yeah, Media Batch works in the same way although it actually natively reads almost 200 file formats, including some off-shoot ones like DivX, Real, some pretty strange audio formats and many more. We figured since this will be going to a global audience, we need to cover as much ground as possible. In fact, we recently got a feature request from a facility owner that needed M4V iPod video support. For some reason we forgot to add that format as a natively supported format. We've added it and works great (will officially be out in the next update release, but if anyone needs it sooner, let me know).

[Mike Cohen] "We simply put a time-code burn on the FLV video and people can easily type the timecode numbers into their comments."

You should check out the demo regarding the Media Batch FLV Viewer. In short, it's completely timecode based, down to the frame (reads the frame-rate, whether 24, 25, etc. and displays the frame-count appropriately). You can also offset the master timecode. While the video is playing you can hit the "M" key on your keyboard to add marker points (or click the "+" icon). Once you create a marker point, you can add notes to that specific marker point and even draw on the video frame for that marker point. You can change in/out points for each marker, re-order the marker points, etc. Once you have a list full of marker points and their notes, you can print it, save it to a text file, email it, copy to the clipboard, etc. There are also aspect ratio conversions so you can play back the video in square pixel format, NTSC, PAL, anamorphic 16x9, etc. The video can be re-scaled in real-time, including overlayed drawings and marker points. Even true full screen mode without any OS menu bar is there. It's incredibly powerful!

Here's a small screenshot of the interface populated with notes and a drawing on a marker point. Click it to view full size.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Oct 29, 2007 at 2:04:20 am

That is the kind of deep thinking I am talking about and it is because Marco comes from a production environment and build it to work.

The thing that amazes me is that every time I have a "yeah but" question, it's answered. And it's notsome kind of BS answer, it often is better or more than what you wanted.

I just want to be able to get my FCP timesline to encode directly to flash. That would make it all complete.

David

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Oct 29, 2007 at 2:10:35 am

Thanks for the nice comments, David!

[David Battistella] "I just want to be able to get my FCP timesline to encode directly to flash. That would make it all complete."

An expensive way to do it, but if you have Flash installed you can. :-/

BUT...

Since Adobe is going to be incorporating H.264 as part of the their native Flash support, you might be able to do this sooner than later... right out of your FCP timeline. I'm still not totally 100% clear on their format intentions, but you might be able to render to QuickTime H.264 and play it right in the FLV viewer. I'd have to make some changes to the Media Batch FLV Viewer to support that, but that shouldn't be too big of an issue. At any rate, Adobe's H.264 integration will be a big deal. =)

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Oct 29, 2007 at 2:50:46 am

[David Battistella] "I just want to be able to get my FCP timesline to encode directly to flash. That would make it all complete."

David,

Flix Exporter is your ticket. Check it out at http://www.truecast.com/products/flix/exporter/

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 29, 2007 at 3:01:30 am

Wait, so, your software is enabling MORE people than just 1 to have sign-off powers over my work!?!?!

Hope you have a remote starter on your car, Marco:-)
Seriously, if there's one thing I DON'T need, it's the ability for more kibitzers to chime in on our projcts:-)

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Oct 29, 2007 at 3:29:02 am

Ha ha, well Mark, it's completely up to you whether or not you want to share the user login with others. If the client shares the login with others on their end, well, there's nothing anyone can do about that! =)

On a serious note, I usually assign a main user login to a client. He or she may opt to share that login with others, but it's understood that any feedback/approvals will be made by one person.

So yeah, I couldn't agree more that too many "approval people" can make things congested. In a strange sort of way, using Media Batch keeps them in check because the system is so organized.

Bottom line is, no mater what, the client needs to see the files we send them. Using Media Batch makes it easier for them and us. If too many people chime in on approvals, we tell them to keep it under control and it always works. If it doesn't, you can always change the user login! ;-)

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Oct 29, 2007 at 10:32:58 am

[Marco Solorio] "but it's understood that any feedback/approvals will be made by one person."

And that, my friends, is always one of the bigger problems many of us face when dealing with clients -- explaining that THEY must appoint a single point of contact and THEY must speak to us with one voice. Otherwise we're put into the administrative function of assembling and resolving notes from multiple sources and HOPING to build a consensus. Personally I'd much rather be shooting, editing, mixing, writing, or even having a root canal. If Media Batch makes it easier to coordinate and resolve multiple inputs by giving the CLIENT a tool for managing the process, all the better.

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
Re: Game-Changer (QT functionality)
on Oct 29, 2007 at 1:40:54 pm

Marco-
Was looking at your product, seems pretty nice. I have a question tho, you have the ability to use timecode on the FLV stuff, but what about using timecode on QT movies, WMV, or AVI's?

-Chad

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Oct 29, 2007 at 4:25:32 pm

Adding displayable timecode (by means of JavaScript) for QuickTime is easy to do (which I should add) but creating the interface for QuickTime that I've done for FLV is much more complicated due to the inherent nature of how QuickTime works.

Adobe has recently announced that they are going to support H.264 in Flash. This is big news as it could allow your QuickTime H.264 to work in the Flash interface. This would mean I wouldn't have to re-build a QuickTime version of the FLV interface. H.264 support in Flash was supposed to happen sometime in October. I'm just waiting to see what the final support standards are going to be and then go from there.

Return to posts index

Andy Stinton
on Oct 29, 2007 at 6:36:43 pm

I'm sure it's very powerful and I have a new contract that it may be of use. However!!! I need to use it to get a feel for it and see what my clients reaction is ..

What put me off instantly was the test to see if my server could use it . I saw

"Execution of HTTP address must be possible
Your domain name executes to document.write(".");'.$part : $part; $flag = 1; } //echo '
' . $domArray[0] .'.'. $domArray[1] .'.'. $domArray[2] .'.'. $domArray[3]; ?>

Okay I have no idea what I need to do ... I realize that this server thingie is a complex business but I have neither the time knowledge or inclination to figure it out. Plunk down $$$ Marco? You just scared the crap out of me.. So much I never saw your product.

Sad because I got all excited .:)

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Oct 29, 2007 at 7:02:27 pm

Your server isn't executing the PHP. All it's doing is showing the PHP code, nothing more. What does that mean? It means PHP isn't installed on your web server. This is surprising since 99% of all shared hosts install PHP on the get-go to help draw sales in. If you ask your web host to activate/install PHP, then it'll work just fine. PHP is free so they shouldn't balk at activating it. Again, I'm really surprised PHP isn't installed on your server. That is quite rare.

Who is your web host?

BTW, we have bunlde packages where we can perform the installation process of Media Batch on your server if you don't have the time or desire to do so yourself.

But again, what you saw/describe is nothing... it's just showing the raw PHP code. It's not executing anything.

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Oct 29, 2007 at 9:43:42 pm

Andy -
For what it's worth, I had Marco's people do our installation after getting the whole thing blessed by my web engineering guy. We do a lot of stuff here, but code isn't among (oh, sorry, amoung) them.

Return to posts index

beenyweenies
on Oct 30, 2007 at 2:18:14 am

I saw the Media Batch site a few weeks ago, and was definitely impressed. I have some .asp and flash experience, and built my studio's client preview system from the ground up a year ago (while also running the shop, doing the books, taking out the trash etc.). It took a lot of time and is truly NOT something a novice can pull off easily. It has some of the functionality of Media Batch, but doesn't even come close in terms of ease of use, clean interface, breadth of features etc. After looking over the Media Batch site, I can honestly say it is easily worth 3 times what is being charged.

My point here is that, for anyone thinking "hey, we can just have our web guy do something similar..." FORGET ABOUT IT. Been there done that, it's not worth the headache and potential for downtime/problems etc. This package is worth every penny.

Now if only I could convince my partners that the system I built is hopeless and we should invest in Media Batch instead. I guess that's an error in judgement I will have to live with! Hey Marco, do you guys offer a "repentant do-it-your-selfer" discount?

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Oct 30, 2007 at 8:07:20 pm

Yes, the complexity involved is over-the-top. Then on top if it, you have to program it in such a way that it'll be compatible on any unknown web server that's out there.

I appreciate your insight in the matter. And I have to say, your question, "do you guys offer a "repentant do-it-your-selfer" discount?" gave me a good chuckle. Email me offline for a possible cross-grade offer.

m a r c o [at] c i n e s o f t [dot] c o m. (sans the spaces)

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
on Oct 31, 2007 at 12:01:19 am

Marco-
For what it's worth, i rarley use H.264 as a format becasue it always jacks with the color of the video. (filesize is nice, i admit tho) Even if you export it on a mac, it still puts a slight shift in the video gamma (more pronounced on the pc side). There was a thread on one of the compositing forums a while back and other people duplicated the issue pretty easily. I haven't tried it in the past several months, but i doubt it's changed. So if the qt player in your application could be codec agnostic, i'd def take a hard look at it.
thanks!
-Chad

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Oct 31, 2007 at 5:46:43 am

[Chad Briggs] "So if the qt player in your application could be codec agnostic, i'd def take a hard look at it."

Hi Chad! Yup, it's completely agnostic. It'll play whatever your system has installed. For example if you're on a Mac, it'll play any QuickTime-wrapped codec that's native to it, like Sorenson, Sorenson 3, Cinepak, H.264, DV25, PNG, Animation, you name it (if you can encode it, Media Batch can play it... just make sure your client can support the codec too). Furthermore, it'll support DivX, Real, AVI, WMV, MPEG-1 and anything else so long as it's on your local system. And it'll play back a bunch of audio formats as well; MP3, AIFF, WMA, Real Audio, etc. Image formats include JPEG, GIF, TIFF, PNG, BMP, etc.

And yes, there are some gamma issues with H.264, but I just can't help using it... such nice quality and low file sizes! With Media Batch though, I do prefer On2 VP6 FLV for the timecode features.

=)

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
on Oct 31, 2007 at 8:03:01 pm

Marco-
Well, i guess thats what i meant. That i'd like to see the QT player have the same timecode functionality that your FLV player enjoys (along with the ability to make notes and such at specific points). But you already addressed that in a previous email that it would be difficult i guess.
-Chad

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Oct 31, 2007 at 8:42:57 pm

[Chad Briggs] "That i'd like to see the QT player have the same timecode functionality that your FLV player enjoys"

You do know that quicktime player reads timecode now?

http://blogs.creativecow.net/node/168

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com

Stop Staring Start Grading with Apple Color The new Color Training DVD now available!
http://store.creativecow.net/p/66/stop_staring_and_start_grading_with_apple...

Read my blog! http://blogs.creativecow.net/WalterBiscardi

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
on Nov 1, 2007 at 6:57:23 pm

Walter-
Yep, i knew that, (and your right, extremely handy). I guess maybe what i was trying to get at was the timecode based "notes" interface he built for the FLV player (like how adobes clip notes function).
-chad

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Oct 31, 2007 at 9:52:21 pm

Actually, not difficult but time-consuming to develop since it would require an entirely new architecture that's different than the FLV version. I'd really like to see where H.264 goes with FLV support. And yes, now I understand the root of your question.

Truth is though, I may very well make a dedicated QuickTime viewer like the FLV version once some other new major features are out the door. There are some really cool things coming up! =)

Return to posts index

George Socka
on Oct 30, 2007 at 3:17:07 am

Not sure I understand what makes ftp hard to use - maybe its a Mac thing. On my PC I can type ftp://www.xxx.xxx in IE and Firefox and download as required.

Uploading with IE is a royal pain, but then there are web folders and My Network Places that are drag and drop on Windows XP.

Am I overlooking something?

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Oct 30, 2007 at 8:21:22 pm

Hi George,

You might want to read this post in which I talk about the pitfalls with FTP...

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/17/858550

In short, this is a few of them:

1. Many corporate clients hate FTP or cannot use FTP due to their network structure. Media Batch uses the standard HTTP protocol on port 80. If you can view eBay or Yahoo, you can view Media Batch.

2. FTP can be a pain to set up if you have many clients/logins to create to access it. Creating logins for lists is easy to do in Media Batch.

3. FTP only allows you to download files and not actually view them right then and there. Media Batch natively "sees" almost 200 file formats. It can view, inline, all the major ones (QuickTime, FLV, WMV, AVI, Real, MP3, PNG, TIFF, XML, EDL, so on and so on). You can even view the contents of a ZIP file *before* downloading it... try that with FTP!

4. Standard FTP doesn't allow you to track file activity. Media Batch tracks login name, IP address, activity (download, view, etc.). You can know for a fact when your clients are looking at your files.

5. FTP apps are usually a pain for clients (if they don't have IE or Firefox FTP integration). With Media Batch they only need the web browser they're accustomed to.

6. FTP doesn't offer a notation system for each file. Media Batch does!

7. FTP doesn't have an integrated approval system with notes. Media Batch does!

8. FTP offers no custom tools for media viewability specific to our industry, e.g., the Media Batch timecode based FLV Viewer with notation and drawing capabilities.

I could go on and on. The differences are astronomical once you really start using Media Batch. But most importantly, your clients will like it *much* better than FTP.

Return to posts index

George Socka
on Oct 31, 2007 at 12:36:00 am

Pardon my ignorance of the complexities of FTP. I am obviously new to this technology and look at each day as a learning experience.

Hard to argue tho, with a Cow host who is pushing his company's product in the forum. And probably a bit cheekly to do so. Ron will probabaly ban me again. NOOOOOOOOOOOO

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]