BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

A little help from my friedns

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jrzeincA little help from my friedns
by on Oct 17, 2007 at 12:25:29 pm

Hi guys, im new here in the forum so i would like to thank you first of all, and then here is my problem, i am a broadcast and advertising preditor, and want to know if is a good business move to go mobile, this is because i feel that most of the job is in the field, and i have my ofice but clients dont go there and always they want stuff fast and in their desks another thing im planning to go on trips out of the country to sell my line producing services to other foreigner clients, and i feel that having a static desktop is not for me, but still i dont to hurt my business im sort of lost what do you recomend guys!

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: A little help from my friedns
by on Oct 18, 2007 at 12:53:47 am

Well I think it's possibly a great plan for covering events staged at hotels and conference centers where they want fast turn-around like dubs available before the last day is over. Same for marketing videos for vacation spots, sports events and the like. Keep a core of your own gear and rent the rest as and where needed. If you can edit in their building using their utilities, that means you can either make more profit for the same billing as before, or you can make the same profit while charging a little less. I hope you're young, single, and fit, as this sounds like quite a gypsy existence.

Without a fixed home base, how will you market, to whom and where? This part needs more development, I think. One possible strategy is to service businesses on a "circuit", visiting the same ones on a regular basis as you loop thru a region. I could see this maybe working for sales and marketing video projects, as well as possibly training projects.

But you have a lot of logistics and strategy to work out. Not to mention how you market the service on something like a regional level.

Return to posts index

jrzeincRe: A little help from my friedns
by on Oct 18, 2007 at 8:57:50 pm

Exactly that was some of my thoughts on this because to ad agencies that are my main business that how it would like a gipsy operation where i just do my work and leave and there is no place to reply to, jjajaja thanks for the tip, know i now that mainly i could have this as a complementary service of my productions not as a way of working.

Return to posts index

Steve WargoRe: A little help from my friedns
by on Oct 19, 2007 at 9:28:16 am

Get a motor home or a private jet. A large military helicopter might be just the trick, also.

Here is the way to do it:

This guy's name is Kelly and he has it all in a big box on wheels.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut Pro systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: A little help from my friedns
by on Oct 19, 2007 at 2:19:21 pm

There was a guy some years back, in the late 70's I think, had a plane called "the Amazing Lady", a customized prop-driven Lockheed Electra airliner, with a complete one-inch broadcast TV operation inside it, cameras inside and out, a studio, and control room, along with a microwave link to the ground.

His idea was to fly to the closest airport to a big event and do post work there, but also to be able to orbit over a location with a long loiter time and get live aerials to send down to a station that hired him to cover some special happening, like a natural disaster or the like. His main market would have been wire services and then-new all-news networks like CNN.

He may have been inspired by watching a really bad Dennis Hopper movie called "Riders On The Storm",(IMDB.COM) or more likely by a program the government had even earlier, in the 50's and 60's, where they put TV transmitters on converted bombers and cargo planes that would fly a racetrack orbit over backwoods areas of the country, broadcasting educational TV to local one-room schools with battery-powered TV recievers. That stuff was all eventually replaced by cheap microwave-carrying news choppers and by satellite downlinks, cable TV antennas and microwave repeater stations put in on the ground. But the thinking is sure creative.

An outfit in St. Louis called Angel as recently as ten years back contracted with Burt Rutan of Scaled Composites to build them a private, long-duration, high-altitude platform called Proteus, for a mission they called HALO (High Altitude, Long Operation). Proteus was built, and looks very cool, you can GIS an image. It can fly very high over a major city for something like 2-3 days at a time, carrying a modular cargo pod that normally holds a complete cell phone node and advanced coms and TV relay.

The idea behind that was to use it like a private low-altitude satellite to offer a disrupted location city-wide wireless internet, coms and cell phone after a large natural or man-made disaster, like New Orleans or New York after 9/11. The planes could be fully automated, but were slated to have a crew of two sleeping in shifts and replaced every 2-3 days by a second relay, switching as often as the service was needed.

The business model never gained any traction, probably due to advances in satcom as well as internet, fiber and cel technology, as well as a shortage of venture capital, and the project AFAIK was shelved, but Rutan further developed the Proteus plane, which can also be used for air-launching mini satellites, Earth sensing and aerial mapping jobs like a private U-2.

A big brother of Proteus became the White Knight that launched Rutan's x-prize-winning private commercial rocket. He's building an even bigger version to carry the multi-passenger version of that rocket for Virgin Space.

You never know where a good idea might lead. From sending educational TV to backwoods Tenessee, to launching rich people into sub-orbital joyrides.

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: A little help from my friedns
by on Oct 28, 2007 at 11:43:31 pm

A few times a year a client requests on-site editing. Normally this is tweaking only, so I can use my HP laptop and it is enough to get some final edits and maybe record a narration.

If a client really wants to do major editing, they should be encouraged to visit your studio.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved