BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

T1 one line not cutting it... suggestions

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tubaman52T1 one line not cutting it... suggestions
by on Oct 10, 2007 at 7:39:55 pm

I work for a small post production company. We are run out of the basement of a very large home. We have on average 7 - 12 people in the office every day. Our T1 line is being choked uploading to fetch during the day we get about 180 kb/s transfer rates. I tried upgrading to T1 bonded line using Internet provider company Speakeasy but they informed me we'd have to pay for the construction of Verizon's installation. What do people use or suggest. We do a lot of uploading and downloading to FTPs and music library's plus the standard streaming video etc...

Return to posts index

Mark RaudonisRe: T1 one line not cutting it... suggestions
by on Oct 13, 2007 at 10:20:31 pm

You're basically asking, "How do I get more bandwidth without paying for it?" I think you know the answer to that!

As an alternative, there are satelite providers that do promise fast internet connectivity. It's gonna be cheaper than a land line, but I doubt it'll have the bandwidth you need. Worth looking into though. By the way, Upload speeds are always MUCH slower than downloads in most residential installations. Businesses pay more for guaranteed bandwidth.

Return to posts index

tubaman52Re: T1 one line not cutting it... suggestions
by on Oct 16, 2007 at 3:20:46 pm

So for a businesses of this size do people use T1 or do similar small businesses use T1 bonded line at 3 Mbps or 4.5 Mbps or 6 Mbps or do they have another solution? I'm trying to figure out what other businesses do because we are looking in to a bonded T1 line. I just don't know what solutions are used, and what any advice people have.

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: T1 one line not cutting it... suggestions
by on Oct 17, 2007 at 2:32:59 pm

At the risk of stating the obvious, you should be approaching this just like any other business decision: Does the increase in capacity provide a sufficient enough advantage to justify the increase in cost? Will it therefore pay for itself or simply be an unnecessary added expense?

Sorry not to have any ideas on getting huge bandwidth at a low cost, but if that's even possible it's well outside the scope of my limited technical knowledge. (That's why I hang out here in the Business pasture.)

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonRe: T1 one line not cutting it... suggestions
by on Oct 17, 2007 at 4:40:26 pm

[tubaman52] "So for a businesses of this size do people use T1 or do similar small businesses use T1 bonded line at 3 Mbps or 4.5 Mbps or 6 Mbps or do they have another solution?"

If you can't get by on 180 Mbps, you're going to go insane with numbers that low.

When people talk about the last mile of service (cable, phone, internet) being the most expensive, they ain't kidding. As Nick says, either the cost of building a line will be worth it to you, or it won't.

Our choice was two-fold. We're getting a nice clean 10 Mbps from our cable provider. Usually right near 10, too, for short enough money that I can't remember the price. 20 Mbps is available, but I haven't even looked at how much it would cost to upgrade. We're doing fine at 10 for now.

Anyway, your mileage will vary depending on your last mile...but it's worth a look.

Our second choice: FedEx. Me, I think movies over FTP is way, way overrated. Your business model is different...but there are a whole ton of advantage to not letting your business move faster than FedEx. Assuming you have that choice.

Streaming's another story. It costs what it costs, and you'll make what you make. Figuring out whether construction and monthly fees will return your investment in a timely fashion won't take more than a few minutes. Compared to the other stuff we do, math is easy.

(For most people. I knew a theoretical calculus scholar. Everyone would turn to her when the lunch bill came to split, and she'd sniff and say "I don't do finite mathematics." And she wasn't kidding.)

But my recommendation is the streaming equivalent of FedEx: hosted streaming. The Akamais of the world will give you more bandwidth than you can imagine for less money than you think.

One more tip for file transfer that's crazy faster than FTP: Digidelivery by Digidesign.. For as little as $4K list, and no more than $10K list, you can BUY a server that will transfer files anywhere in the world with LAN speeds, with crazy additional features: full encryption, optional lossless compression to make things move even more quickly, automatic removal from the server when the transfer is done, and on and on.

The reason why Digidesign built such a thing was to support enterprise-class customers who need to transfer massive files, and who need security -- say, theatrical releases to a scoring session. Digidelivery's more secure than putting the movie in a car to deliver it, and in most cases, faster.

Here's my favorite part: the client software is free, and autoinstalls a la Flash. You send a secure email, your customer clicks on an authentication code, and that's it.

You don't have to explain how to use FTP, create different passwords for different clients, different permissions, none of that. All automatic, and nobody has access to anything but the exact files you want them to. They never get in through your FTP door.

And it cleans off the files your customers have downloaded at an automatic interval that you set. (Maybe never if you want to manage it yourself.)

No here's my favorite part. It uses a proprietary protocol so efficient that you won't notice the drain on your bandwidth resources while the file is transferring at the speed of LAN. (I just now made that up. Cool.)

No, HERE's my favorite part. You can BUY it, and forget about monthly fees, and it's as little as the price of a workstation. Easy to configure, too.

I used it for regular ol' business stuff -- PowerPoint, Word docs, etc. -- and felt like it paid for itself right quick with speed, efficiency and security. If you're very regularly sending video and audio from point to point, this is so so so so much better than FTP.

It's also so much fun that I started to look for big things to send, just to show it off to folks on the receiving end.

Go to the website, check out the demo. Better yet, find a ProTools dealer and take it for a spin.

Okay, end of the sermon. To summarize:

1) Check with your cable company for low double digit speads. You might be pleasantly surprised.

2) Leave cookies and milk for your FedEx carrier.

3) Use hosted streaming.

4) Use Digidelivery instead of FTP.

5) Buy me a really nice car, maybe a small vacation cottage, with the money you'll save in the next year alone compared to building Verizon a massive line that will give them the power to charge you a whole lot more money.

Okay, NOW the sermon has ended. And, appropriately enough, with the exhortation to give me money and buy me cool stuff.

My Cow Blog
Join my LinkedIn network

Return to posts index

George SockaRe: T1 one line not cutting it... suggestions
by on Oct 18, 2007 at 10:07:40 pm

depending on who your local telephone provider is, get ADSL / DSL The "A" means upload is slower than download, but 3 megabits per second is very realistic - twice a 1.5 megabits per second of a standard T1. And way cheaper.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved