BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

How do I get in the industry?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
459ProductionsHow do I get in the industry?
by on Sep 18, 2007 at 6:47:46 am

I love doing VFX, editing, web design, and graphic design. My question is what is the best way to get a steady work flow to make a some what steady income at what I do? Thanks.

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: How do I get in the industry?
by on Sep 18, 2007 at 10:52:57 am

What's your education level?

What's your experience level?

Generally you start out getting a college degree in something related to the field. Then you intern in one or more companies. Then you work for a company.

That's the bare bones answer. There was a very long thread about breaking into the industry recently on this very forum. You might want to do a search in this forum to find it.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Editorial & Animation for Broadcast and independent productions.

All Things Apple Podcast!

Read my blog!

Return to posts index

beenyweeniesRe: How do I get in the industry?
by on Sep 20, 2007 at 12:58:02 am

Step #1 - pick one of the things you listed that you enjoy most and focus on just that one thing (at least for now). I can't speak for everyone out there, but I don't hire anyone who is an editor/motion graphics/web designer/etc. guy. I only hire people who are focused on one discipline so that I know their skills are focused on what I need them for. Very few people need someone who can do web design AND editing, and even mentioning that you do such a wide variety of relatively unrelated things will work against you.

If you are asking how to start a business in this industry as opposed to how to get work doing it, that is a completely different story. I would dare say that is beyond the scope of any forum, because it takes years of working in the industry so that you develop a full working understanding of both the production process and business management.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved