BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Consulting services

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emre TufekciConsulting services
by on Aug 30, 2007 at 3:51:50 pm

Greetings,

I have a client who wants to hire me for a long term consulting service and I am unsure how to bill them and/or price such a service. The subjects of consulting include;

-Creative design (making sure their web sites,posters,commercials are consistent and broadcast quality in today's market)
-Edit bay setup (everything from functionality to ergenomics.)
-Special events (they want to make their live events look live high end concerts/shows.)
-Training (Includes theory in editing/shooting/creative process...etc)
-Technology (upgrading their aging gear and suggest new purchases.)

Normally I either have a day rate as a DoP or steadicam op...etc or on post just figure out how many hours it wold take me to something in post and multiply that by my hourly rate. But with such an open ended proposal I don't know how to quote them or what to offer.

I might be on the phone or doing research at home or on location. And all of this might happen at a certain frequency one month and very little the next.

I already have their account doing their commercials, broadcast openings and designs, some training and so on. I don't think they would have any problem with what I might bill them but I don't know how to bill them. Hourly? Project based? Flat rate?

Thanks to everybody in advance for their time,

Emre
http://www.productionpit.com
Boxx Tech PC, dual-dual AMD 2.0,4BG ram,Avidexpress HD w/Mojo,UVW-1800,DSR-25, Adobe production studio.

"Creative cow is udder madness."

Return to posts index

rsavickyRe: Consulting services
by on Sep 20, 2007 at 12:19:11 pm

Would say if you already have existing relationship you would have good feel for billing. Did you already make a decision on which way to go?

Return to posts index

Emre TufekciRe: Consulting services
by on Sep 20, 2007 at 4:24:28 pm

I decided to offer them a retainer where they would pay me for 10 hours every month with 4 hours on location support. The hours would expire in 3 months but can also be rolled over within those 3 months. I also told them that if they wanted to go on an hourly basis it would be %25 more on the hourly rate.

With the retainer the rate would stay constant with hourly billing. I also added the contract could be terminated by either party at anytime.

They are right now thinking about it.

What do you think? Does it sound fair?

Emre
http://www.productionpit.com
Boxx Tech PC, dual-dual AMD 2.0,4BG ram,Avidexpress HD w/Mojo,UVW-1800,DSR-25, Adobe production studio.

"Creative cow is udder madness."

Return to posts index

rsavickyRe: Consulting services
by on Sep 20, 2007 at 6:04:36 pm

Like the 25% idea; that is compelling. Would suggest the immediate termination be turned into one with some kind of notice -- and how about work that's subspended?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]