BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Where should I intern at?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
quicksilver8907
Where should I intern at?
on Aug 28, 2007 at 7:13:58 pm

Where should I get an internship at if, I dont live in a popular area and I want to pursue a career in either video editing or motion graphics, thanks guy
Ty

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
Re: Where should I intern at?
on Aug 28, 2007 at 8:39:45 pm

No offense intended but it is very rough to tell you where to intern. The fact is, there are no easy answers in this and most internships mean that you are working for free to learn a craft or trade. In that, it's going to be tough to pay your way when you are not making money. That means that you will likely need to be close to Mom and Grandma, who will stuff you full of food when your bones begin to show.

Not knowing where you live, I am at a loss as to give you many ideas. (That, and I haven't hardly slept in days. Been far too busy for that. Wanna intern here? We can't pay you but we do have pizza and chicken -- and Walter Biscardi says he'll ship out a few sides to go with it.)

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

quicksilver8907
on Aug 28, 2007 at 9:03:14 pm

but as a general Idea, what is the best think to do as a recent high school graduate if I want to break into the film industry as an editor and/or motion graphics artist???

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 28, 2007 at 9:23:49 pm

[quicksilver8907] "but as a general Idea, what is the best think to do as a recent high school graduate if I want to break into the film industry as an editor and/or motion graphics artist???"

The best place is a production facility that will take you in. Almost doesn't matter where you start. You just need to get into a production facility, could even be an audio studio. Just get some exposure to what the industry is really like.

I had two interns here all summer from Georgia State University and they were just great to have around. one of them decided to hang around a bit longer just because he's enjoying the time.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Broadcast and independent productions.

All Things Apple Podcast! http://cowcast.creativecow.net/all_things_apple/index.html

Read my blog! http://blogs.creativecow.net/WalterBiscardi

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Aug 28, 2007 at 9:28:34 pm

[walter biscardi] "one of them decided to hang around a bit longer just because he's enjoying the time."

And the great chicken pizza???

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

quicksilver8907
on Aug 28, 2007 at 9:36:25 pm

I don't think there are any production places around though, how would I find out???

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Aug 28, 2007 at 11:48:00 pm

Well for starters I would look in the yellow pages under video or video production.

- Don

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Aug 29, 2007 at 12:11:54 am

WHAT is going on here, guys?

[quicksilver8907] "what is the best think to do as a recent high school graduate"

[walter biscardi] "I had two interns here all summer from Georgia State University"

I don't mean to sound like the Dad that I am... but... shouldn't the best advice to quicksilver be to attend a college, university or even community college and progress from there? Sure it's possible with a high school diploma to get a job sweeping floors at some production facility. That is provided they don't require a degree or at least some college as a way of cutting down on the hundreds of applicants they receive each month.

My own start came Freshman year at a college radio station and went from there to a real radio station in my home town, then into audio production and so on, and so on. (And thanks again to my friend Ty Ford, now of the COW's Audio Pros forum, for giving me that first shot at real radio.)

Also, doesn't hurt to know a few of the things they attempt to teach you in college. Worst case, it makes you better at Jeopardy.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 29, 2007 at 12:17:33 am

[Nick Griffin] "shouldn't the best advice to quicksilver be to attend a college, university or even community college and progress from there?"

Absolutely. I did two years of Community College and then Syracuse University. My current video editor here graduated from Full Sail last year.

College is definitely the place to go to be challenged and you get free use of equipment for four years. That's the LAST time that will ever happen again in your career.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Broadcast and independent productions.

All Things Apple Podcast! http://cowcast.creativecow.net/all_things_apple/index.html

Read my blog! http://blogs.creativecow.net/WalterBiscardi

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Aug 29, 2007 at 1:04:18 am

[Nick Griffin] "...shouldn't the best advice to quicksilver be to attend a college, university or even community college and progress from there?"

Yes, that would be the best advice but let's hope that while at school, he discovers a real career. ;o)

This industry has become much like that of writing wherein everyone who has a word processor is capable of writing a novel; yet, there are few great writers, as the software doesn't make the writer.

I subscribe to the Grinner Hester Principle which states: You do this because you have to, you'd be miserable doing anything else -- if you do it for the money, you'll be miserable waiting for it.

Sure, there are exceptions but even the people I know that are some of the most respected people in this industry don't make a lot of money.

As 10CC (Kevin Godley & Lol Creme) sang so long ago: Art for art's sake, but money for god sake.

Maybe an internship will cure 'im, and get 'im back in school -- whatcha think???

Good to see you back, Nick.

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Gary Chvatal
on Aug 29, 2007 at 1:32:47 am

I also agree that college is a good start. Thats where I got started...unfortunately I'm still making about the same amount of money as I made in college.

But its a good place to learn some skills and make some connections. Oh....and learn how to make potato salad or another side.

Return to posts index

Kerry Brown
on Aug 29, 2007 at 12:42:19 am

Might help if we knew where your from.
Also to intern you usually have to be going to school of some kind.
Most or all states won't let you intern for no pay unless you are affiliated with a school.

KB

Return to posts index

quicksilver8907
on Aug 29, 2007 at 12:54:51 am

I am going to a community college currently and working full time as a media technician for a planetarium and multimedia theater. I wish to keep that job, I just want to know what else I could be doing. I am from Central California. Thanks
Ty

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Aug 29, 2007 at 1:13:19 am

[quicksilver8907] "I am going to a community college currently and working full time as a media technician for a planetarium and multimedia theater. I wish to keep that job, I just want to know what else I could be doing. I am from Central California."

Where at in Central California? What school are you going to?

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

quicksilver8907
on Aug 29, 2007 at 1:43:24 am

I am going to the college of the sequoias in Visalia,CA

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 29, 2007 at 2:48:34 pm

First, tell the English department at Sequoias that you need a refund because you end your sentences with prepositions.:-)

There are paid and unpaid internships. Usually unpaids at least give you academic credit at the college or university that runs the internship program. Univerities tend to have the plum intern programs, with TV stations, advertising agencies, Public relations companies, major corporations that have video departments... you can see that there can be more video opportunities than you'd at first have guessed, from the internal com department at Lockheed to the in-house promo or training department of an ad company or food service corporation.

TV news stations and cable companies use a LOT of interns. There was a case a few years back in California where a producer intern took a station to court because it turned into basically a sharecropping/slavery kind of thing. No training, no pay, long hours and no expenses covered. And it is not supposed to be like that. You are both getting and giving something: they get cheap labor and fresh ideas and views, you get valuable training, hands-on experience and networking contacts. It would be interesting to find out how the lawsuits came out.

Some trade schools or vocational schools also have internship programs. In California, you should be able to find hundreds of programs, but then again, it's California, where every guy behind the counter at McDonald's has a script he wants to show you, and every waitress is also an actress. You have more opportunity in that state but also a LOT more competition for the openings. If you are a real go-getter, you might find a company that doesn't have or use interns yet, much less an in-house media department, and offer to pioneer the program for them. This may turn into an excellent job opportunity later.

Super-short version of my college intern experience: we were based in Chicago, my classmates all got their internship assignments ahead of me, working for the big O&O ABC, NBC, CBS stations, and for ad agency giant J. Walter Thompson. I wound up with a tiny cable outfit in the 'burbs a short drive from home for the summer. End of the internship, we get together to compare notes. The kids from the big TV stations had no hands-on with actual gear due to union rules. They did light office work, phones, and could make a damnfine cappachino. They also had nice letters of recommendation and help getting interviews from people like Bill Kurtis, but once in the interview, they had nothing much to show.

Came my turn to describe my experience at the non-glamorous fleabag suburban cable place (Continental Cablevision of Elmhurst):

"I was the segment producer on a daily half-hour talk show: I produced the entire Wednesday show each week. I found, booked, and pre-interviewed guests, wrote scripts and copy, field-produced and directed with a 3-man ENG crew and sometimes the multicam production van: I shot and edited videotape, I wrote and reported stand-up news segments in the field. On air days I sat next to the director and kept time and fed in chyrons or floor directed. I'm qualified on three different editing systems, three kinds of cameras, the Grass 100 switcher, the VP-2 Chyron, I can splice audio tape, I know how to operate every piece of gear in the place except the satellite dishes for the Head End. I have a demo reel here on umatic and VHS of nine shows I produced and several VSOT news pieces I made for those episodes. And I can't even SPELL cappa, ugh, cuppo, ugh, whatever. Is that some kind of coffee?"

Of our class, only myself and one other student intern I knew of got industry jobs, it was on the strength of what skills we were able to achieve during those few weeks as interns. A fancy letter of introduction only gets you a meeting with the people that hire... but you have to bring them more than just a willingness to work and a great personality. You get out of an internship, and your college instruction in general, only as much as you put *into* it. And you can find great opportunities in out of the way places, or CREATE the opportunity if you have that kind of drive.

And I neither drink nor spell cappa-whatsis. Do you really think a guy like me needs MORE caffeine?!?!:-)

P.S. Paula Jolene Smith; thanks wherever you are for the fine and patient training you gave the Loyola Interns all those years ago. You taught me not ALL directors need 4-letter words to get the job done. 20-plus yers later, I'm still making a living doing this!

Return to posts index

quicksilver8907
on Aug 29, 2007 at 7:27:45 pm

Well currently I work at a multimedia theater assembling "slide shows," I am paid very well and we are going towards making everything digital video. I am gonna start working with after effects, and pioneer the place into a much more active video environment. I currently work full time but should I try finding a place that deals with after effects more, so that I can be trained instead of training myself?? I used to work at a production company, helping with weddings and dance recitals, but it just didnt pay very well. What should I do??? Thanks

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 29, 2007 at 7:49:26 pm

My guess is it's going to be hard to find a place that will pay you to learn AE when they can drop a free ad in Craigslist and get fifty AE trained guys a-runnin', with demo reels ready to show.
That is, if your bosses *know* about the availability of such resources:-)

You can sign up for AE classes at some local place and use the student academic discount to buy a half-price copy of AE for home use or buy some training DVD's and work the examples and tutorials at your own pace at home on the DL. Concentrate on creating large workspaces that can span several monitors or projections, in the same way you do slides now. Then spring your new skills on the boss at a convenient moment. Don't advertise your new skill until you have actually GOT some skill to show, but for what it's worth, I think you are on the right track. If you could find an internship at a graphics house that would be great, that's not likely, so in your situation it might be as well to just be auto-didactic and homeschool yourself for the moment.

Return to posts index

quicksilver8907
on Aug 29, 2007 at 8:06:09 pm

I am gonna buy after effects soon and some total training or Trish Meyers books or maybe classroom in a box. I will work at my own pace, whenever and wherever I can. Thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate it.
Ty

Return to posts index

Del Holford
on Aug 29, 2007 at 8:19:08 pm

The Public Television station in Fresno might offer internships and you'd have a relatively short drive to get there. PTV stations always need free help but also offer the chance for hands-on experience in various production areas.
We had several high school interns this past summer at my PTV station and a couple college students as well. One college student was back for his third summer and has learned a great deal from our Director of Photography who is a talented teacher as well as a very good DP.

Del
fire*, smoke*, photoshopCS3
Charlotte Public Television

Return to posts index

quicksilver8907
on Aug 29, 2007 at 8:21:30 pm

would they get me real experience in after effects and other editing???

Return to posts index

Del Holford
on Aug 29, 2007 at 9:07:31 pm

[quicksilver8907] "would they get me real experience in after effects and other editing???"

I can't answer that, but their Director of Production can.
One of our interns this summer did promo tags for us on Discreet edit. Not the newest system but it works for us and the Inscriber CG bundled with it is fine. So hopefully their answer will be yes. Good luck.

Del
fire*, smoke*, photoshopCS3
Charlotte Public Television

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Aug 29, 2007 at 8:23:24 pm

Trish Myers?!?!?!? (There's nothing wrong with Trish Meyers stuff, just kidding.)

Just be sure to take full advantage of everything that's here FOR FREE. Repeat after me: Aharon Rabinowitz, Aharon Rabinowitz, Aharon Rabinowitz, Aharon Rabinowitz... and everybody else. And did I mention Aharon Rabinowitz?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 29, 2007 at 8:40:41 pm

[Nick Griffin] "Repeat after me: Aharon Rabinowitz, Aharon Rabinowitz, Aharon Rabinowitz, Aharon Rabinowitz... and everybody else. And did I mention Aharon Rabinowitz?"

And, Aharon is lot funnier than Trish Meyers too. In fact, he may the funniest guy on the planet.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Aug 29, 2007 at 8:56:24 pm

I just want, for the record, to point out in the context of Ty (quicksilver)'s post about getting started and learning new things, what an amazing resource we all have in the COW. That's the whole reason I involved myself in its predecessor, the WWUG, and knew that the COW would be even better.

I read the posts, go back into the archives, view the tutorials and can't help but marvel at what's here FOR FREE. Who knows where some of us oldsters would be if we had one 1/100th of this resource when starting out.

Moral of the story: use it, appreciate it and, when you can, contribute to it.

Return to posts index

Kathlyn Lindeboom
on Aug 29, 2007 at 9:49:16 pm

Aharon currently has 63 tutorials in the library -- with more coming. That's a whole lot of free tutorials.

But that's not all. We have a total of 336 After Effects tutorials. From the basics to extremely complicated.

All Free.

Did I mention, FREE?

http://www.creativecow.net/articles/aftereffects.html

Kathlyn Lindeboom
The Mistress of Mmmooooo

Return to posts index

Heath Designs
on Aug 29, 2007 at 9:03:04 pm

Aharon Rabinowitz has some excellent stuff. But lets not forget Andrew Kramer's training and all the other resources available through the COW's forums (DUH). College is great for a refresher, I've been out of school for two years and went to take classes this semester and i feel young again...ok so i am young, but it's good at giving you a new perspective, for me one of the biggest aspects in maintaining creativity is being in an environment where everyone is trying to learn, even basic courses have already given me new perspectives, even after 3 days!

It all really depends on what works for you, Hands on application, or a classroom environment, most Universities offer a nice blend.

Heath Robinson

I don't think the chicken and side dish jokes will ever end. Poor soul

Return to posts index

quicksilver8907
on Aug 29, 2007 at 9:46:37 pm

So what do you guys suggest I buy after I do all of the free ones?? Does anyone know anything about the digital media series tutorials??

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 29, 2007 at 10:29:26 pm

[quicksilver8907] "So what do you guys suggest I buy after I do all of the free ones??"

You'll be an old man by that time and we'll be out to the big pasture in the sky by that time.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

quicksilver8907
on Aug 29, 2007 at 10:50:00 pm

So are you saying that I shouldn't buy any??

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 29, 2007 at 11:31:43 pm

Do all the free ones you can, then reevaluate. Thats always a good way to go... In the meantime, if you find something you think you absolutely must buy, then go for it, but if you don't have to spend, then don't.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 30, 2007 at 1:26:14 am

Boy, is this a popular thread !

This is my stupid advice. I learned nothing in college. I learned that cutting classes, and going to real jobs, or internships, is where I learned everything, and why people eventually hired me. I learned that my fear of not knowing how to do something, gave me the incentive to study harder, to make sure that I knew a product, so I would not get fired.

Most people that are AVID editor learned it by sitting there with the equipment, and suffered, and made mistake after mistake, and eventually learned how to use the AVID. Most AVID editors never took a FCP class - they sat there, and suffered, and learned FCP, cursing and screaming every step of the way. You learn AVID, FCP, Photoshop, etc. because you have to eat, you have to make your car payments, you want to go on a date and pay for dinner, so you STUDY AND LEARN.

You will find that 50% of the employers are not looking for qualified people - they are looking for CHEAP LABOR. And if you can apply to a place, and get thru to the boss, and show him that you can do the job (graphics, editing, etc.) - even if you are TERRIBLE compared to his experienced editors, he will give you the opportunity to work, because you are CHEAP, and there are countless employers out there that have only one goal - to get rid of their expensive experienced employees, and hire some "cheap labor kid" - just like you - because somehow, someway, you can get thru the job, and he can make more money. I held the "chief engineer" title at 2 companies in NY in my early 20's, with almost NO KNOWLEGE of what I was doing - but I was cheap.

You will also find, that if you get into a production company, and just STAY THERE for 2-3 years, you will get every opportunity that you want (this does not apply to major TV stations, where people stay for 20 years, but to smaller companies). I saw secretaries in big ad agencies in NY who 5 years later were full producers for major commercials, and they never even went to college. They stuck around, they learned, they were ambitious, and they were given opportunities.

You have local TV stations in your community - get them to hire you. Be aggressive, say you will do anything. I bet there are 3-5 TV stations in your area that are less than 1 hour away from your house. Apply to all of them, find out who the head of graphics is, who the head editor is (call and find out, then call back and ask for that person). Ask for an internship with HIM (not from the Human Resources department). Be aggressive.

You make your own luck. This is how I got my first job in the TV business in NY. In 1978 I went up to EUE Screen Gems (later to become Editel NY), and asked to see Jack Shultis, who was the studio manager (I got his name from the NY Film Directory). I had no appointment, and my puny resume. I told the secretary that I was here to see Jack Shultis. She got Jack Shultis on the phone, and he asked what the hell I wanted. "I am looking for a job in the engineering department". Mr. Shultis could not be bothered seeing me, or seeing my resume, and wanting to just end the conversation with the secretary, and get rid of me, he told the secretary to call the chief engineer (I forgot his name). The secretary called him, and said "Jack Shultis said you should see this guy" - and he thought that I was a recommendation from Jack Shultis, and hired me on the spot, for more money than I was even asking for. I knew NOTHING, and there were a lot of old timers there that got a kick out of "teaching the young kid". This was the first time I had ever seen color bars, or a BNC connector. Like I said, you make your own luck.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

chicagoshootr
on Aug 30, 2007 at 1:06:07 pm

Amen, Bob.

I opted out of a formal eduction and elected to throw myself into the deep end of the business without any training at all...just intense desire.

Those early years were the most rewarding and fun...living by my wits and powered by junk food. Taking the crappy jobs and slowly making my mark on the industry.

Over the years, I've lost count of how many college graduates I had to teach how to edit, direct, produce and write. Many of those students came out of good schools like Columbia, Northwestern and Missouri.

Twenty five years later, I'm still in the trenches, enjoying my craft, and making a good living running my own business.

Many of the "idiots" I trained are now high level managers, correspondents and producers on national TV. I keep in touch with some of them, and some of them are in a position to throw work my way and often do.

So, what's my point? There are many paths to a sucessful career in a creative industry. It's not like we're making bombs or anything

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Aug 30, 2007 at 2:33:55 pm

In my experience, i did 4 internships. Unsure of what part of the industry i wanted to work in, I did the following. however, doing this many internships was uncommon, but it did get me out of 4 classes!

1. WCVB - Channel 5 Boston. Midday news intern.
2. WFSB - Channel 3 Hartford - assignment desk intern.
3. COX Cable Advertising
4. Visual Concepts Media - high-end corporate media
5. Travelers Television - insurance company studio (not technically an internship)
6. TV Studio administrative assistant, teaching assistant, "the guy with the magnetic key card to the equipment locker" - this was a paid on-campus job.

So some people believe a college experience opens doors which may not be otherwise open to you. Plenty of people are self-taught, or have migrated to their current production jobs from other careers in media, journalism or zookeeping for example.

You can read in more detail about my internships here:
http://blogs.creativecow.net/node/221

Mike

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Aug 30, 2007 at 2:55:38 pm

Hey guys, Shhhhhhhh! That kind of path to success is supposed to be a SECRET. Don't tell the newbie that, no matter WHAT you study, everything you really learn comes from on-the-job training. What fun is it if he knows it now instead of finding out much later, the way we had to.

But seriously, I think it's a mistake for someone fresh out of high school to think that because others skipped or skipped out on the college experience that doing the same will work for them. Hell, I took a theater major but spent 90 percent of my time and 99% of my energy in the radio station, recording studio and coffee house stage. But just being in college proved productive because it's where I met many of the people with whom I later connected professionally.

Stay in school, Ty! Just learn as much as you can from as many places as you can.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 30, 2007 at 4:46:41 pm

I'm a big fan of a Liberal Arts education, where you learn HOW to learn, while you learn what you learn. It makes you adaptable when one specialty gets overrun or dries up, and lets you grow into new areas of specialty as they emerge.

Not that people can't be successful going thru a tech school, however I would say the biggest successes that come out of tech schools also filled in the gaps in their own knowledge and experience with non-stop active self-exploration outside of the narrow tech curriculum. They were not content to stop at the place in the book where their teachers stopped.

You say to me: "But as an editor, I really don't see what studying (xyz course) has to do with me making a living. It's nice, but it's fluff, a luxury. Gimme business courses."
Nothing wrong with taking business courses, I recommend them if you ever want to work for yourself.

I've worked with people who learned just the bare, narrow, technical minimums of their immediate time period, and I was constantly having to clean up their work behind them when they misspelled chyrons because they were unfamiliar with terms, or made other glaring errors due to a lack of general knowledge. And as time went on, their tech skills struggled to keep up because while they had learned what button to push in what sequence to get a certain result, they understood little of what was BEHIND those buttons and wires, HOW and WHY they did what they did. And when the buttons changed, or new buttons came in, or a new result from the old buttons was desired, somene else had to re-train them in how to deal with this.

In the editing suite, when writing and directing, I have drawn on multiple disciplines like art history, sociology, politics, physics, music, literature, English composition, and more. If you look at it the right way, EVERYTHING feeds into making you a complete human being, and it is the variety of those skills and the mix of ways you apply them to the work, that make you a more effective video producer.

Not that I'm an expert in everything, but it certainly is helpful to be able to describe what you want musically as something like Aaron Copeland, if you need woodwinds or brass, That you want a 6/8 or a driving 4/4, or to explain to the client that you are using the rule of thirds or the golden proportion in this composition, or that the composition of a particular shot is deliberately evocative of so-and-so-'s painting, or that for the lighting of a shot you want the wrap-around feeling of a Vermeer, or why this color is a bad choice because it's not across from a complement on the color wheel and moreover, in the culture of the client paying for this work, that color has a bad subtext to it... Or why a dissolve is used one way and not another, based on the history of film.

It's hard to manipulate or convey structures and concepts if you can't communicate them. A Liberal Arts background is a fine base to work from in getting this "life vocabulary". It is not the only path, certainly there are other ways as valid, for some people. But I like this method for being so open-ended. Formally or informally, never stop learning, for the day you stop is the day you start to die.

Return to posts index

quicksilver8907
on Aug 30, 2007 at 5:15:21 pm

I will definitely continue my education there is no doubt about that, the problem that I am experiencing is that they dont offer any motion graphics classes or anything similar at my community college. I have a great job and I don't want to leave, but I do want to further myself.

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Aug 30, 2007 at 5:54:24 pm

[quicksilver8907] "I will definitely continue my education there is no doubt about that, the problem that I am experiencing is that they dont offer any motion graphics classes or anything similar at my community college."

Creative COW is an international prestigious non-accredited institution whose curriculum is in use today by teams in film, broadcast and many other fields. We see some shows where the team/user didn't even bother to change the presets in the project files and just used them, as-is. They got a flunking grade esthetically but got extra bonus points in the business round for being resourceful under dire time constraints.

Best of all, you can sign up for classes just by showing up. :o)

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

quicksilver8907
on Aug 30, 2007 at 6:49:11 pm

I am somewhat confused, is there actually a real-life class or are you talking about the online creative cow community?? Thanks

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Aug 30, 2007 at 7:31:34 pm

I am talking about the community, the tutorials, the podcasts, the magazine, et al.

Best,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

quicksilver8907
on Aug 30, 2007 at 8:15:27 pm

Do you think I could become a professional by just using this site to learn, I want a truly honest answer please
Thanks

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Aug 30, 2007 at 8:28:58 pm

Only you can answer that question. It all depends on your drive, commitment, confidence, talent, ability to market yourself -- which even as an employee, you will always be in sales, as you have to sell yourself and your ideas -- and many other factors.

There are no easy one-size-fits-all answers.

Sorry.

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

quicksilver8907
on Aug 30, 2007 at 9:32:19 pm

Okay this will probably be my last question on this post. If someone wanted to buy me some tutorials for after effects, what two or three books or dvd's should they buy for me?? I am a beginner, but I have used Premiere and Photoshop for awhile, and I have been messing around with after effects 7.0 a little so I kinda know my way around, but what two or three dvd's or books should they buy? I want them to include dvd's because its nice to see what the final product should look like. Thanks guys for everything.
Tyler

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Aug 30, 2007 at 9:40:23 pm

For DVDs, you can get 50 great tutorials with project files created by Aharon Rabinowitz that I would put up against anyone's work -- anyone. It's sells for $39. It is called "After Effects: The Next Level" and is an amazing body of work. 50 incredibly useful video tutorials with the project files for less than the price of some of the books out there.

For books, I have always been partial to Angie Taylor's Creative After Effects 7 as she doesn't just teach you which button to push or which bell to ring. She teaches you the why and the how, not just the how. Plus, like Aharon, she's one of the nicest people in the industry.

Aharon and Angie have worked on projects for Viacom, the BBC and many, many others.

Those are my vote getters.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 30, 2007 at 11:07:32 pm

Tyler -
this is my advice to you. I assume that you have After Effects running on some MAC or PC that you have at home. If you do, make a project - do an After Effect job on your family, on your dog, on your school graduation, on your friends band, on your local sports team that you can get footage from. Make your own goals high. Do a REAL job for yourself - one that you probably cannot fully accomplish by yourself.

Work hard at it. Stay up late at night. Google things that you can't figure out, and you will find solutions on all kinds of forums (including Cow forums) that will relate to your questions. SUFFER for 3-4 weeks, until it comes out (it won't be good until you hit a point where you can't figure something out, and it takes you 3-4 solid days to get the answer to your question). When you are done, you will have your first piece. Use this very piece to get a REAL internship at a real company. If it's good (and if you spend a month on it, it probably will be good), you will get a real internship. 1 year from that point, you will be qualified for a real job in a real production company.

Forget having mom ordering you a book from Amazon.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Wayne Williams
on Aug 31, 2007 at 3:37:57 am

I have followed this thread. I see a young man about to step up, hoping he is not taking a fall. What I do see is a bunch of old folks whom have stayed in the game. The all-nighters working on compression problems, loosing audio, discovering a partially plugged cable. The names alone in this thread represent years of working-it-out. So know that these people that responded to your questions are giants in the land. Do listen and take the step. Certain all that spoke here would encourage you to do just that. The COW is there for us all. Do study it. Life is good in the pasture.

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Aug 31, 2007 at 3:19:41 pm

Thank you for your vote of confidence in the COW, Wayne. ;o)

I thought that I would let you know that my Father finally passed away. Thank you for coming out from Colorado and getting his story on video. I tried repeatedly to do it but he just wouldn't open up to me the way he did with you and Ron. Having two vets filming him did the trick. You guys are giants in my book.

Thank you for your friendship and for your being a part of the COW.

The best always,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 31, 2007 at 4:09:00 pm

Sorry to hear about your father Ron. I offer you and your family my most sincere condolences in your time of sorrow, and I'm sure that everyone of your extended Cow family wishes you all the very best.

David

Return to posts index

quicksilver8907
on Aug 31, 2007 at 5:02:23 pm

Thank you for all of your help guys, and Ron I am deeply sorry to hear about your father. My condolences are sent to you and your family.

Return to posts index

Wayne Williams
on Sep 1, 2007 at 2:23:04 am

Ron - I just finished watching your Dad's war experince for The Library of Congress. He was well worn though bright and encouraged by your presence through that couragous day. I am so pleased we were able to get his story. Archiving the memories of George Lindeboom's live-or-die combat experience will be there for all whom wish to know, that your Dad was a hero. He lived honorably, bearing the range brand only known to warriors. I'll let Langer know of the great loss in the pasture. God Bless

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]