BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

We have a new look. Or do we?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcowcowcowcow
Steve WargoWe have a new look. Or do we?
by on Aug 14, 2007 at 3:06:46 pm

Is this a new makeover for the forum or am I losing it? I've been away for a few days. You know, the therapist, the divorce lawyer and the doctor.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut Pro systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonRe: We have a new look. Or do we?
by on Aug 14, 2007 at 3:29:12 pm

[Steve Wargo] "or am I losing it?"

I can't comment on that, but this is indeed the next phase of our interface redesign. Ron can give more details when he's back in the office, but the credits include Bret Williams on design, Abraham Chaffin and Eric Bliss on code, directed by Ron Lindeboom.

I played conga and triangle, and cleaned up after craft services. Which is to say, all the important work was done by them other folks.

More fun coming, too....

Return to posts index

Todd at Fantastic PlasticRe: We have a new look. Or do we?
by on Aug 14, 2007 at 4:37:38 pm

Looks good!... nice and clean.

One thing I did notice in the last day or so, was that the "Read Entire Thread" button didn't work in a couple of forums... you'd click it and it would just return to the same page (single post) that you were on. Figured it would work itself out in time.

Lookin good...

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Del HolfordRe: We have a new look. Or do we?
by on Aug 14, 2007 at 5:52:55 pm

I also very much like the shot of Morro Rock on the banner and the confederate gray screen between pages. :-)

Del
fire*, smoke*, photoshopCS3
Charlotte Public Television

Return to posts index

by on Aug 14, 2007 at 6:17:07 pm

[Del Holford] "Morro Rock on the banner and the confederate gray screen"

Morro Rock does indeed rock.

The gray is inspired by the darker bands in Humboldt Fog, the ne plus ultra of American goat cheeses. (We like giving Bessie a day off now and again.)

Seriously, if you haven't tried Humboldt Fog, stop what you're doing, head down to your local artisan cheese shop, and prepare to have your mind blown. More than enough to base an entire site redesign around, I assure you.

Guess what I had for lunch. :-)

Best,
Tim

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: We have a new look. Or do we?
by on Aug 14, 2007 at 8:41:55 pm

I played conga and triangle...

More Cowbell!!

Return to posts index

by on Aug 14, 2007 at 8:54:42 pm

[Nick Griffin] "More Cowbell!!"

Dagnabbit, THAT's what I should have said!! Here I thought I was being funny, and I was just being pathetic. Again.

Check it out, kids!!

Return to posts index

John DavidsonNow it's just plain scary!
by on Aug 16, 2007 at 9:44:46 am

You think that's funny? Check out the shirt I was wearing when I read Nick's post, sitting on the tarmac in Honolulu on my honeymoon....

http://gallery.mac.com/magicfeather#100064/IMG00155

Return to posts index

mslocumRe: We have a new look. Or do we?
by on Aug 25, 2007 at 3:18:46 pm

I love the new design and I love creative cow. You guys are awesome. You always raise the bar and improve the video world every day. I would just request an easy search bar on the home page and preferably on every page.

Thanks,
Matt

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: We have a new look. Or do we?
by on Aug 25, 2007 at 6:45:37 pm

Thanks for the kind words, Matt. They are appreciated.

Thanks for reminding us to do that, it was supposed to have been there -- spaced, I guess. ;o)

Look for it in the next few days.

Best,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

AbrahamRe: We have a new look. Or do we?
by on Aug 14, 2007 at 11:38:33 pm

Glad you guys are liking it. There have been some major changes as of late and more minor tweeking in the future. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Abraham

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: We have a new look. Or do we?
by on Aug 15, 2007 at 9:53:47 pm

To quote garth Algar: "We fear change". I like the previous layout just fine.

It's a tad busy. If they add any more animated flash loops I might get a seizure.:-) I'm going mto look for some settings in my browser to disable looping of the flash because after seeing it loop twice, okay, I GET IT already.

I'd prefer the whites tamped down a level or two: the contrast is fairly strong. And the choice of browser certainly makes a difference: I saw this remodeled site earlier today on a version of Netscape and it was like a car accident. Here, it looks better. I know you can't ever make it appear perfect and identical on every browser, though.

The ads on the left side got bigger, I think. Which pays the bills, so it's hard to complain, except for the ProMax Fibremax ad that has had "simultaneously" spelled wrong for over a month; that makes me nuts. ;-)

Return to posts index

Steve WargoRe: We have a new look. Or do we?
by on Aug 16, 2007 at 3:11:12 pm

Obviously, some people don't read their own ads.

Calm down Mark. Breathe in. Breath out.

Stop reading the proMAX ad.

Have you ever raised children? Have you seen the parents in the restaurant or movie theater where the kids are climbing the walls, screaming and the parents are completely oblivious to what the kids are doing? Practice that now. Breath. Dial it out. Relax.

Do you have any 1" gaff tape handy? Make sure it's not red.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut Pro systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck

Return to posts index

by on Aug 16, 2007 at 7:54:58 pm

Charles (GRHS) would have proofread it first, but for sure he wouldn't have let it stay bad this long. It's an OCD thing for me, and maybe for others in our biz; I figure many detail-oriented folks gravitate towards our kind of work.

You gotta wonder though; if they can't be bothered to do their own ad right, and won't respond to a month's worth of emails from readers telling them they have a mistake, what kind of customer service can one expect? Their in-house communication must be poor.

Return to posts index

Kathlyn LindeboomRe: We have a new look. Or do we?
by on Aug 16, 2007 at 10:53:09 pm

[Mark Suszko] "The ads on the left side got bigger, I think. Which pays the bills, so it's hard to complain, except for the ProMax Fibremax ad that has had "simultaneously" spelled wrong for over a month; that makes me nuts. ;-)
"

I have let the appropriate people know of the misspelling. Hopefully, we'll get a new one soon.

In the meantime, just consider that we're testing everyone to see if they notice the ads. And you did. Mark you win.

Kathlyn Lindeboom
The Mistress of Mmmooooo!

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: We have a new look. Or do we?
by on Aug 16, 2007 at 11:05:37 pm

Except we have to penalize him, Kathlyn, as he thinks the ads got bigger in the transition.

They didn't...

Mark's nerves just thought they got bigger.

:o)

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
by on Aug 17, 2007 at 8:25:14 pm

I think we should run a pool to guess the day they fix it.:-)
I remember a time when folks would run print ads with deliberate mistakes in them, and if you called them to report it, you won some little prize or something. The theory being any customer that takes the time to call you about this sort of thing may be a PITA but also a valuable customer to retain, because they really are interested in having a dialog with you, end up being evangelizers and free salesmen for you.

So one of the times I wrote to this company, pointing out the mistake and joking "what do I win?" what I got back was an automated form reply telling me they had opened up a trouble ticket for me. No follow-up message ever came back.

Gee, thanks.

Here's another example. We have a local chain of gas station/convenience stores called Hucks, with a logo of a Huck Finn character on them. One day as I'm going in to pay for my gas, I mention to the counter kid that the big sign out front has misspelled the word "cheeseburgers".

He looks me in the eye and, smiling, shrugs with a fatalistic expression, and replies: "Welcome to Hucks!"

So I tell him, him with the ponytail, fishook in the eyebrow and smirky attitude to old farts;

"I know you think I'm making too big a deal about such a small thing. But let me tell you something. If you can't be bothered to take the time to spell it right, or fix it promptly when it's pointed out to you, then I have to wonder just how careful you are about making that cheeseburger in the first place. Do you maybe drop it on the floor and still serve it? Do you wash your hands while you make it, or keep the meat refrigerated properly so I don't spend the next three days home sick? Do you really seem to care if the gas I just bought from you has water mixed in the holding tanks and will leave my wife stranded on some back road a day from now? Is the milk I'm buying for my kid's breakfast going to expire in only a day because somebody here left it on the loading dock unrefrigerated for an hour or two? Little things matter, young man, because EVERYTHING matters. If I can't trust your business to get a piddling little easy-to-fix detail right, or to even express that you CARE about making it right, why should I believe you about anything, or trust anything I buy here? Why, with that kind of attitude, would I ever come back here? All I was looking for was for you to say thanks for pointing it out, and we'll take care of it as soon as we can. It's about pride in yourself."

Two days later, the sign is still wrong.
And you know, I really don't use that store anymore. Ever.

(sigh) I guess I just wasn't made for these times, got to go change the onion on my belt now...

Return to posts index

by on Sep 11, 2007 at 3:48:36 pm

BTW, if you had Sept. 11th in the pool for them fixing the ProMax ad that incorrectly spells "Simultaneous", you are not a winner. Shall we double down?:-)

Return to posts index

by on Sep 11, 2007 at 4:04:55 pm

I'm going to bet on Thursday for it being fixed...
Any takers?

Abraham

Return to posts index

by on Sep 11, 2007 at 5:59:06 pm

Looks like we were both wrong Mark - Sept 11th is the day!
Congratulations - step forth and receive your prize.

Abraham

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: We have a new look. Or do we?
by on Sep 11, 2007 at 6:07:34 pm

Cha-Ching!!! Pay the line...

Perhaps this date will go down in history??? Oh!!! I guess 9/11 is already taken...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY

Return to posts index

by on Sep 12, 2007 at 1:20:18 pm

Actually, local time for me, it wasn't fixed until this morning. But really, is it something to celebrate? If I hadn't made a pill of myself over this, for this long, how much longer do you think it would have gone unchanged? It was over a month it was out like that, and Promax had three direct messages from me and who knows hoe many from folks here, before somebody (Abe?) stepped up and made it happen.

It does not bode well for the responsiveness of the company or their standards since they lost Charles. I refer back to my Hucks gas station story, earlier in the thread. Postscript to that story, it's not a Hucks anymore, it lost the franchise and is now a generically branded and owned place.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]