BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Medical Insurance for Self Employed/Contractors

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jacki in AtlantaMedical Insurance for Self Employed/Contractors
by on Aug 10, 2007 at 12:31:44 am

I'm curious about how people are dealing with the issues of health insurance. My insurance premiums and high deductibles ate up a lot of my profit the last time I was doing contract and freelance. It was one of my main deterrants from continuing. This was a topic at a group in Atlanta called Freelance Forum. I wish I had made it. There are probably some creative solutions to this modern quandry that are not well known. What are you guys doing?

Return to posts index

Bruce Bennett in Madison, WIRe: Medical Insurance for Self Employed/Contractors
by on Aug 10, 2007 at 5:08:20 am

This is my own personal experience...
I own my own business and do biz as a single employee/President of an LLC. Since I'm single and have no children, I have an individual policy. I can't get a company plan without having at least 2 employees in the "company." I pay about $135 per month, pay the first $1,500 in expenses per year, and a $2,500 major medical deductible. Med co-pays are very big. Every insurance policy offers "sh-terible" prescription co-pay plans.

Do you have a family or married? If so, then insurance costs about 1,000% more. Married = family policy (with or without kids), The Republicans have it set up that way with "free enterprise heath care":) Being single, I have an individual plan signed up with my personal data info that's paid with my LLC's debit card. It works with my accountant so I guess it's all legit.
If you're married, then I suggest that you get insurance via your significant other/husband/wife. Some of my colleagues that started their own businesses with paying for their family have paid up the nose.

Just my experience. There's a tremendous amount good biz members here at the COW. If they hop on this post, you'll get lots of good advice.

Bruce Bennett,
Bennett Marketing & Media Production, LLC -

Return to posts index

Timothy J. AllenRe: Medical Insurance for Self Employed/Contractors
by on Aug 10, 2007 at 11:50:59 pm

I'm in Texas, so my specific advice regarding who to use probably isn't applicable for someone in Atlanta. Insurance-related laws and prices run the gamut, and are really dependent upon where you live.

Here in Texas, Blue Cross/Blue Shield and Fortis both offer plans for very small businesses. They are still more expensive than large group rates. When I was totally freelance, with no other full-time employees, I joined the local union and got better insurance rates through them. IMHO, this was the only thing that made being in the union worthwhile. (In that place at that time.)

There is probably some good news on the horizon for you, since the governor of Georgia is evidently trying to get the state to bear some of the cost for very small businesses to have health insurance.

Here's an article about some recent developments on that front:

... and here's a website that might be able to give you better quotes than what you already have. I haven't used them, but at least it gives you a place to start.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

Andy EdwardsRe: Medical Insurance for Self Employed/Contractors
by on Aug 11, 2007 at 9:54:28 pm

Check out the rates from NASE (National Association for the Self-Employed.):

Return to posts index

Wayne KeyserRe: Medical Insurance for Self Employed/Contractors
by on Aug 12, 2007 at 6:07:08 am

This question is also important for those who are covered now, but whose coverage may expire on their own retirement, or on the retirement of their spouse (which is the way many of the self-employed get their health insurance).

Being an old guy, that started me looking a while back. I asked my friends and acquaintances, even got some good tips via my attorney.

First, let me tell you what happened when I posted exactly this question to users of my self-produced line of instructional DVDs (in this case, self-employed entertainers) - I got some good answers, and a couple of desperately wrongheaded ones that I kept as bad examples. I posted them on my own website in a section I provide as "web freebies" for my customers - you might like to see their suggested approaches:

Second, I've been continuing my own exploration - my wife wants to retire, and her employer has no provision for continuing coverage.

I found that, although options vary widely from state to state, in most areas it's possible to affiliate with some organization through which you can purchase health insurance. Perhaps a local arts council, Chamber of Commerce, fraternal organization, some college alumni organizations, etc. AARP is working on a comprehensive plan. Even Costco has both health and dental plans for members in Washington, Oregon, California, Hawaii and Nevada. Ask your self-employed friends what they do (especially professionals, even if they're in other professions) and you'll get some good answers applicable to your area.

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved