BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

How hard is it to ink a deal for a series?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
redmontage
How hard is it to ink a deal for a series?
on Aug 6, 2007 at 2:31:30 pm

I'm not expecting details answers here. Just a few ideas/tips??

But given that you have a well made, compelling, pilot with decent options for many future episodes, how difficult is it to be marketed to the networks? Is it near impossible? Is it MUCH harder than selling an indie film?? Is it true that you must have 6 or more episodes already filmed + plus 15 more finished scripts to even be considered? Where are good places to start the process of marketing a series??

Best regards and thanks for any feedback.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
grinner
Re: How hard is it to ink a deal for a series?
on Aug 6, 2007 at 4:58:11 pm

It's extreamly hard w/o an agent or entertainment atty.
I have been pitching pilots to networks for over a decade and have not made a sell yet.
Yes, you have to have a season in the can before they'll listen to ya. They do this because they have said yes before and then the production company could not come through. Beavis and Butthead are a great example. Mike Judge submitted a 5 minute pilot unsolicited. They loved it and to his surprise they puchased 6 episodes. He celebrated then scratched his head wondering how he was gonna animate 6 half hour shows in a season. This is how and why the talking to music videos off camera came to be. He was able to animate some genraic reactions from the couch and reuse em over and over. Each episode ended up having about 6 minutes of new animation in em.
My suggestion is to get those episodes in the can to prime yourself better for nibbles but do it on sponsorship dollars. Networks sell sponsorships and when something comes down the pipe already well funded, they tend to listen more. Plus, dream chasing is expensive enough without pouttin your own dollars in a project that statisticly is not going to sell.
that said, the only thing more expensive than chasing dreams is not chasing them. Bitter old men aint bitter about stuff they did in life. Thay are mad about what they didn't do.
keep chasin', brother.

Return to posts index

redmontage
Re: How hard is it to ink a deal for a series?
on Aug 22, 2007 at 3:44:58 pm

"My suggestion is to get those episodes in the can to prime yourself better for nibbles but do it on sponsorship dollars. Networks sell sponsorships and when something comes down the pipe already well funded, they tend to listen more."

-----------------------------
Thanks for the answers and encouragement! Where is the best place to find info on these Sponsorship Dollars? How do I apply??

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]