BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Great Show Needs Sponsor - PLEASE Help!

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jmill0823
Great Show Needs Sponsor - PLEASE Help!
on Jul 23, 2007 at 9:19:32 pm

We've produced a thirty minute show all about the die hard University of Georgia Bulldog Fans and the phenomenon that is tailgating. Please take a look at the first two minutes of the show at this link

http://www.radarproductions.com/dawgdays/showweb.htm

We are looking for a sponsor for this show. We think it would do very well on Fox Sports South, CSS, or GPTV (PBS). If you are interested in sponsoring this show, or if you think you know a company that might be interested - please contact us at the email below or by calling 706.353.9530

Thank you,

Jason Miller
Radar Productions

Return to posts index

jmill0823
Re: Great Show Needs Sponsor - PLEASE Help!
on Jul 23, 2007 at 9:42:43 pm

I should have clarified...we've never sold a show, and we don't know if we should find a sponsor first or get a network interested first, and then maybe they'll find a sponsor...how does it work usually?!?

thanks so much

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jul 23, 2007 at 11:58:39 pm

Greetings fellow redneck! As a Georgia refugee and GSU alum, I have to speak up.

The best place for you to sell that, in my opine, would be before a national cable airing (ESPN, etc) of a UGA game. It would be a solid lead-in. So how do you sell it?

You'd need to get it in front of the programming director of ESPN or FOX Sports (find out who has a license to air UGA games, start with Google) and then you're good. Another alternative, though less likely, would be HGTV. They're in Nashville.

So to sum up, look for:

Vice President, Programming, ESPN
Vice President, Special Projects, ESPN

And look for similar titles for the other networks.
(Fox Sports also has regional divisions, so that might be a good place to check into).

Assuming you've had a legal department advise you on clearances and you've obtained appropriate paperwork from everyone in your show, you should probably be able to sell that for a small sum. Talk to your sports media department (whatever they call it) at UGA and find out who they're working with this year.

That should help! If nothing else, try selling it to stations like WMAZ in Macon, WSAV in Savannah, and all the other stations in the southeast. You might be able to sell it individually.

Good luck!
John

John Davidson____ writer | producer | director____http://www.magicfeather.tv

Return to posts index

AlexHuber69
on Jul 24, 2007 at 3:21:38 pm

You show looks pretty good, nice production values.

However, I think your best chance for airing (or finding a sponsor) would be a local television station that is very predominately "Dawg heavy," for airing on a game day prior to a big game.

And NOT to sound negative (because I think you have a good product), but I will throw out the biggest challenge --

Your copy on the web page says this is the "unique culture of Georgia tailgating." That sounds like good ad copy, and it is -- but unfortunately I don't know that it is true. Unless there is something going on there that I don't know about, I don't think it is unique. You'll find the same thing at campuses all over the country. Just in your neck of the woods (south) the same exact thing happens at GTech, Alabama, Auburn, Vandy, Vols, etc. and the list goes on. Therefore I think you need to concentrate on "narrowcasting" and finding the exact audience for your product -- and your audience is going to be Georgia fans, and pretty much no one else. I mean, you wouldn't give a hoot about watching a show about Alabama tailgaiting over in Tuscaloosa would you? Probably not, so you need to find the best outlet to snag the viewers that you would like to reach -- and ergo, those most likely to pay you to air the product that you worked very hard on.

Hope it sells!

A.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jul 24, 2007 at 3:45:42 pm

[AlexHuber69] "Your copy on the web page says this is the "unique culture of Georgia tailgating." That sounds like good ad copy, and it is -- but unfortunately I don't know that it is true."

Yeah, the was the one thing that caught me a bit too. It sounds good, but in my visits to college campuses I find that most of them are pretty much the same. Serious tailgaters, not so serious tailgaters and a lot of people in between.

Truly unique tailgating goes on at the Military Academies. West Point and Annapolis are simply amazing places to visit during football Saturdays, especially West Point. We attended Army Football for 13 years and I've yet to visit another college campus that can even come close to what those days are like.

As for your show, GPTV would require you to get all the funding. I would look at CSS and SportSouth probably as your main choices in the area. Good luck with it! Making the show is the easy part, selling it is the problem! :-)

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Broadcast and independent productions.

All Things Apple Podcast! http://cowcast.creativecow.net/all_things_apple/index.html

Read my blog! http://blogs.creativecow.net/WalterBiscardi

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]