BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Going Independent - Finding Gigs and Clients

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
WideWorld HDGoing Independent - Finding Gigs and Clients
by on Jul 11, 2007 at 2:00:13 pm

Hello All,

I have been working in this industry since 1991 as an editor. In the last 5 years I have worked exclusively in HD during which time I edited and finished more than 60 hours of HD documentary programming for broadcast. I recently left this full-time job to go independent and have some questions for other independents out there.

I have heard of other editors who work for themselves on shows for the big networks like NatGeo, History Channel, Discovery, etc. That

Return to posts index

Steve WargoRe: Going Independent - Finding Gigs and Clients
by on Jul 17, 2007 at 11:32:20 am

Understand that you will have to push someone else aside to get those jobs. After all, someone is already doing every bit of that work right now. There are a zillion new editors pouring out of schools at an alarming rate and they are willing to work for nothing because they live at home and have no debt. If you'll scan the posts in this forum, you'll find that there a lot of highly qualified and experienced people in the business who are having a tough time of it. Good luck.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut Pro systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck

Return to posts index

Mike_SRe: Going Independent - Finding Gigs and Clients
by on Aug 10, 2007 at 8:20:01 am

Can you freelance for the directors and producers who've given you work over the last five years - they'd be the ones who'd know you best, and most likely to trust you if your work is good.

Otherwise, you're starting again to re-establish a reputation, based on your credits, the work you have to show, any any endorsements you can glean.

[WideWorld HD] "Where I can work with others but also very independently. Where I can be given the material and be trusted to make a show out of it."

By "independently", it might seem that you mean "away from a director or producer". And the next bit, "given the material and be trusted to make a show out of it", also supports that interpretation. That kind of approach or attitude might sit better with producers looking for budget finishing, rather than directors or producers who've invested a lot in a show, time and input, and want to see it come to fruition as they intend ... a different kind of editing?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved