BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

how to write a show proposal / treatemnt / pitch

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
PEYIIIhow to write a show proposal / treatemnt / pitch
by on Jun 26, 2007 at 2:05:59 pm

Sorry, if this is not the proper forum for this question, I have also posted in two other forums becuase I wasn't sure where to look for help on this one.
I

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
David Roth WeissRe: how to write a show proposal / treatemnt / pitch
by on Jun 26, 2007 at 6:36:11 pm

Phil,

Submitting a full-blown proposal will immediately ID you as a beginner and it will usually be filed in the rubbish bin.

First, write what is known as a "two-pager." The two-pager is the standard until you make it up the development food chain to the next level -- it must grab the reader from the start and relentlessly entertain and inform them in a style and manner similar to, and appropriate for the program you're pitching.

Always keep in mind that development execs (and agents) are bombarded with thousands of proposals each week and most only read material passed on to them from their low-level readers who have the attention spans of ADD afflicted gnats. So, grab them early and make a compelling argument that simply has to be passed upstairs to the execs and you're on your way...

Good luck,
David

"No job is worth doing more than once..."

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Post-production Supervisor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

PEYIIIRe: how to write a show proposal / treatemnt / pitch
by on Jun 26, 2007 at 7:22:14 pm

David,
Thanks for the reply.
So the 2 pager should contain someting at the very beginning to grab and hold the attention and somewhere after that spell out what the focus of the show is and why it's important to that particular network to air it.---??

Thanks,

PHIL

Return to posts index

by on Jun 26, 2007 at 9:37:54 pm

Those are all good things to include...

Do your best to create drama and keeping building that drama.

And, access is everything. What gives you unprecedented access to some aspect of this concept that makes you right for the job?

And, this has potential to be a franchise right? Explain that you have unlimited story/episode possibilities...

David Roth Weiss
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

by on Jun 27, 2007 at 2:23:09 am

Great!
Thanks for the help David. I'll start revising ASAP.

PHIL

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
by on Jun 27, 2007 at 2:38:47 am

Good Luck!!!

You know where to find me when you're ready to get production and post underway...

David

David Roth Weiss
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: how to write a show proposal / treatemnt / pitch
by on Jun 27, 2007 at 8:48:09 pm

I've read that the 2-pager propectus should distill the idea and format for the execution to it's essence, such that, you can successfully present the entire pitch contained in this document in the length of time you share an elevator ride with the exec you're courting. Pitches are like the Gong Show: you have seconds to hook them, or you're out.

It would also be good to have more and more detailed pieces ready and waiting if they bite on the 2-page and start asking you questions. Have some "leave-behinds" that clarify and brand anything that might get garbled by someone relaying your pitch to a third party. You know the kids' game of telephone: the more steps away from you the information takes, the more chances somebody will screw it up, yet you never get to tell everybody the information one-on-one, so have ready a short guide you can leave behind that keeps the concept pure as you delivered it. But don't insist on handing that out at every opportunity, only where it will do some real good.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 28, 2007 at 1:21:58 am

All great advice and info, thanks guys.

PHIL

Return to posts index

Emal SekandariRe: how to write a show proposal / treatemnt / pitch
by on Jun 5, 2008 at 10:50:05 am

Dear Phil

I too am pitching a show, and I don't wanna mess this up. I just learned about the two-pager, but I can't seem to find any info about it online. Can you give me an example of a two-pager, by proposing a current show like "Survivor man", or "Unsolved History"?

You don't have to write the whole two pages obviously, but just to get a feel of the pitch. Earlier in this article I read things about grabbing attention, and humoring.. I'm not sure how I should start?, because my show is a franchise idea as well, should I use one episode as an example, and than mention other episodes? Should I start with a grabber, (I'll use survivor man as an example)

"Imagine one man with the best survival skills training, dropped into the middle of the amazonian jungle with no food, no supplies, and no communication, just his sheer wilderness survival training. Will he find his way out, or will he surrender to mother natures wrath?"

and than follow up with... "Survivor man has unlimited franchise possibilities, each week a new episode will take place in a new survival environment such as, Survivor Man in Siberia, deserted island, Death Valley, Saharan dessert etc.

I don't really know what else to add, I mean even for an established show I'm not sure I can do a two-pager, unless I've got it all wrong, which is why I'm asking you, cause I am blank at the moment. Hoping to hear how you wrote your two-pager.

Thank you in advance

Sincerely
Emal

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]