BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Project and Data Storage Rates

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bear MediaProject and Data Storage Rates
by on Jun 3, 2007 at 8:03:27 pm

I've recently moved into the tapeless environment. Workflow alone has been a learning experience. However, now I

Return to posts index

John DavidsonRe: Project and Data Storage Rates
by on Jun 3, 2007 at 9:41:07 pm

Drives are really cheap now. Last week I got a 500g seagate for $175. It's great because at that price you bill the client for the drive, which is negligible, get the whole thing off your system, which is creatively cathartic, and when they show up the next week wanting a change because the janitor in their german bureau wants you to trim 2 frames off of a shot, bam, it's a grand to reload the whole thing and make that change. Because there's actual physical coordinating involved (sending drives back, etc), clients tend to have more realistic expectations for additional charges, at least in my experience. In other words, they feel more comfortable trying to get a free 'hey i know it's an easy tweak so can you do me a free favor' edit when they know you have it loaded in the system. When they have to ship the drives/data, they recognize the logistics and pay accordingly.

This is more in relation to agencies and smaller corporate clients. With larger clients you tend to have to cater to what they want. The upside is bigger pays much better so as to avoid the whole nickel/dime thing.

My 2 cents.

Return to posts index

zrb123Re: Project and Data Storage Rates
by on Jun 5, 2007 at 2:56:59 am

If possible shoot to tape and disk at the same time. I would not charge a monthly fee I would just build the price of drives into your cost.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved