BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

ssssssssmokin' hot topic

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pixel Monkeyssssssssmokin' hot topic
by on May 21, 2007 at 4:05:14 pm

Still (since May 10th) one of the hottest topics on everyone's tongue... but haven't seen anyone here yappin' on it yet:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2007-05-10-MPAA-smoking_N.htm

______
/-o-o-
`(=)`/...Pixel Monkey
`(___)

A picture says 1000 words. Editors give them meaning.

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: ssssssssmokin' hot topic
by on May 21, 2007 at 4:10:37 pm

Personally, I don't disagree with any of it -- especially when you see movies where the smoking is so gratuitous that it's really a case of product placement and not at all done within the context of storytelling.

Your mileage may vary -- and at today's gas prices, should definitely be taken into consideration.

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonRe: ssssssssmokin' hot topic
by on May 21, 2007 at 4:34:42 pm

I have ZERO respect for the MPAA or anything they do. I really don't have any use for them whatever, and it sends a shiver up my spine to think they'll weigh in on ANYTHING.

Did I mention I have no use for them?

But I don't have any use for gratutious smoking in the movies either.

To bring things relatively back on the Business topic, you should check out the documentary This Film Has Not Been Rated. A 2006 Sundance smash, it lays out a well-documented case for the MPAA's biases and their hypocracies -- the DVD even describes the MPAA's unauthorized copying of the movie....which they actually ADMIT to!!

The best part of the picture is the unmasking of the closely guarded secret of the board's identities. The mind reels.

Well, maybe not so much on topic after all. Unless you have secret societies weighing in on the suitability of your work. I know your company make movies, Pixel Monkey. Do you go through the MPAA? In which case, very much on topic.

Return to posts index

Pixel MonkeyRe: ssssssssmokin' hot topic
by on May 21, 2007 at 6:37:50 pm

Saw it - illuminating! They did a wonderful job. (Looove the imagination involved in creating the title sequence as well as the animations.)

Admit this is passively on-topic at best. I hear the opinions of the 'creative' side all the time, so I'm real interested in what folks in business circles think.

______
/-o-o-
`(=)`/...Pixel Monkey
`(___)

A picture says 1000 words. Editors give them meaning.

Return to posts index

John DavidsonRe: ssssssssmokin' hot topic
by on May 21, 2007 at 10:07:44 pm

Here's my favorite line.

"The San Francisco-based center Smoke Free Movies claims that movies are responsible for 5,000 smoking-related deaths a month that might have been prevented by an R rating. The group also says movies are responsible half of the 800,000 children a year who start smoking."

Um, how exactly does one research something that, clearly, is unresearchable? Part of the reason I left news was that in everyone's haste to crank out sensational sounding stories, facts from biased groups went unchecked, assuming that the writer of the story agrees with the presenter of said facts. Now, in case you're already writing what a horrible person I am for seeming to represent the side of the tobacco company executives (who, everybody knows, are actually representatives of Satan), please wait for me to finish my thought.

Where does it end? Since Earth is set to spontaneosly combust sometime in December 2008, depending on who you vote for, perhaps we should give every film an "R" rating that shows a protagonist driving a v-8 engine. My research suggests we could save 6 billion lives for every film restricted with this logic.

Also, any film showing an abortion will encourage young girls to get abortions, so let's now restrict that as well. While we're at it, sex caused the abortion in the first place, so that's another "R". The exception is if the abortionee dies on the table. That's an automatic "G".

Uh oh, Shrek ate fried chicken - heart disease. Gimme an "R"!

This is fun, let's keep going.

Spider-Man shows violence. Violence kills people. Bam. R.

Harry Potter = Magic = Not republican = R.

E.T. showed kids resisting arrest to save an illegal alien, and they were REWARDED for that behavior. OH...MY....GOD....R!!!!

Grease, sex, R.

Since social unrest leads to civil war which leads to a significant number of deaths each year, from now on any movie featuring resistance to a recognized government will be given an 'R' rating.

For Example:

Schinlder's List
The Sound of Music
Top Secret
The Lion King (when Simba was replaced with that evil Lion dude, the evil Lion dude was leader of the government, Simba fomented rebellion).

All R.

I used to obsess about sex as a teenager in church, mostly because the preacher would refer to premarital sex as evil, and talk about how it's the path to hell, etc. Man, that sure made it cool! At least until hymn time when I had to stand up.....

Therefore, any chuch, religious, or non-scientology based reference will automatically receive an R.

Any movie featuring the breaking of law will now get an R.

See, it's fun and easy. We just saved the world - now get ready to live forever!!!

In all seriousness, the MPAA, FCC, and their ilk are becoming more and more irrelevant. With current technology, anybody can make a movie, meaning more non-traditionally distributed films, leading to less films even being submitted for MPAA review because they're straight to youtube. Eventually MPAA will be relegated to just giving "G" ratings to disney films, as producers seek out the most offensive way to break rules. Seriously, how many people read that article and wanted to make a movie where people do nothing but chainsmoke, win the lottery, and have risky sex with people far more attractive than they should?

There are better ways to discourage directors and the like from featuring unpopular images. We're all actively looking to break rules for attention - this is the last one we need.

Of course, I could be wrong and just killed 5,000.

John Davidson____ writer | producer | director____http://www.magicfeather.tv

Return to posts index

by on May 22, 2007 at 12:36:16 am

[John Davidson] said "Violence kills people. Bam. R.

John,

I have a couple issues in all this:

You say "Violence kills people." Violence doesn't kill people. It's the organs failing that really kills them.

[John Davidson] said "Harry Potter = Magic = Not republican = R."

Not republican = R ? I think you meant NR, didn't you???

Best,

Ron Lindeboom
(waiting for Ground Zero)

Return to posts index

by on May 22, 2007 at 12:49:09 am

You're right. My mistake - organs failing kills people. I have personal memory of this - my father was almost killed by a B3 Hammond that nearly fell off of a truck in the early 80's.

I guess you could say it failed to stay upright.

With that in mind, we should also add any movie with organs in them to the list of newly R Rated movies. Better make that any movie with a keyboard, because they also have organ sounds.

I knew that "music and lyrics" just felt a little 'evil'.

Return to posts index

by on May 22, 2007 at 12:55:20 am

[John Davidson] "my father was almost killed by a B3 Hammond that nearly fell off of a truck in the early 80's. "

Please tell me that he or the EMTs (emergency musical technicians) saved the B3's Leslie speaker cabinet???

Yes, any keyboard without a Leslie is indeed evil -- no doubt about it. Earns an R.

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

by on May 22, 2007 at 1:13:08 am

I so almost mentioned the leslie, but didn't think anybody would get it!

Don't worry, it was saved.

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: ssssssssmokin' hot topic
by on May 23, 2007 at 12:29:02 am

[John Davidson] "we should also add any movie with organs in them to the list of newly R Rated movies."

Would that be failed movies with organs, movies with failed organs, or all movies with organs?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Post-production Supervisor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Steve WargoRe: ssssssssmokin' hot topic
by on May 23, 2007 at 6:56:33 am

Hey, how about Pirate movies...R - R - R

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona

It's a dry heat!

Return to posts index

by on May 23, 2007 at 8:20:07 am

Or organ pirate movies...wait, I think those are rated XXX, if they're anything like the organ pirate movies i've seen...

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonRe: ssssssssmokin' hot topic
by on May 23, 2007 at 6:46:35 pm

[John Davidson] "organ pirate movies"

Why pirate organs? Better to pirate a harpsichord. Harpischords weigh less, and give you a legitimate reason to use the words "plectra" and "jack mechanism" in polite conversation.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]