BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

What is an Art Director?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Big GigWhat is an Art Director?
by on May 8, 2007 at 5:53:44 pm

I work in broadcasting, main tool is the Adobe CS2 Production Suite.

I have been in the industry for 12 years. The last two years I have been heading the company ID and creating eye candy for all promo vignettes, print and our software.

For the lasted 2 NAB productions I have acted as "art director". NAB 07 I was given full authority on look and concept.. turned out good. Boss said "Act as if you the Art Director this year" So I did.... I think.

In the past 12 years I worked under one really good Art Director for 2 years, then 7 years with two flakes. And the Last three I have managed my own schedule- due to the fact that I work alone(dept wise) in a satellite office.

Now I am considered the Art Director in my Dept... My concern is that I really don't know what the full scope of and Art Director's responsibilities. The time has come for reviews. My Boss and I know where I stand on this position if I choose to take it.

Sooooo, where am I going with all this? I want to propose my duties before I drop the compensation increase on my boss.

It would mean moving to a new city, and I want my responsibility's to reflect in my compensation(groan... don't we all)

Thanks in advance to anybody who reads this.

Return to posts index

grinnerRe: What is an Art Director?
by on May 9, 2007 at 4:01:36 pm

Titles vary from place to place. Art Director at one place is a one man band who handles all the static media. Art Director at another placemy be a dude who surfs the net in between handing off projects to artists. Now, Creative Director.. that's where the moneys at. It's vague enough that you can evolve your duties and salary over time without printin' up new bidness cards. Sounds kinda cool too.

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: What is an Art Director?
by on May 9, 2007 at 6:13:28 pm

Over the years I'v worked with art directors and I've worked with ART DIRECTORS. They come in all shapes, sizes and degrees of talent.

What an art director is supposed to be is the individual who implants projects with his or her own visual touch and style. A good art director leaves the project for the better. In small settings the art director can be responsible for physically doing everything. In big projects the art director may be the one telling others what to do: "make that wall blue... move that plant six feet to the left... use this object for the foreground... use this typeface, not that one... etc."

Also, I agree with Grinner. Be a Creative Director. It's an even broader job title.

Return to posts index

Big GigRe: What is an Art Director?
by on May 10, 2007 at 3:20:27 pm

Fair enough... But my boss titles himself as "Director of Graphics and Creative Services". But he he would like me to assume role as Art Director... Titles are titles, and they don't mean much in some cases, however, he is an excellent Manager and I enjoy working with him.

And sometime when people get into company politics we all know that a "title" may be used as ammunition, or a shield.

I have been researching like crazy on writing up a promotion request and such. And I am getting more confused as I read on...

Does anybody here know of a good resource that provides good advice on pimping yourself to your boss in this industry- mainly broadcasting

Return to posts index

grinnerRe: What is an Art Director?
by on May 11, 2007 at 11:27:42 am

You may be overthinking it. You shouldn't have to pimp yourself to a dude your already working for. State your desire new salary and let em call ya what they want.

Return to posts index

Steve WargoRe: What is an Art Director?
by on May 12, 2007 at 6:06:26 am

"Call me anything. Just don't call me late for dinner".

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona

It's a dry heat!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved