BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Adobe Store and Sales Tax Problems

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John CairnsAdobe Store and Sales Tax Problems
by on Apr 3, 2007 at 10:52:14 pm

Hi all, I posted this on the AE forum, then realised that this si probably a better place to ask this question.

I live in Canada, and ordered an AE7 upgrade online this morning through the Abode USA (which is apparently the only way to do it, selecting 'Canada' redirects to USA) After completing the order I discover Adobe is charging me US sales tax, despite the box being sent straight to Canada. So this means I end up being taxed TWICE for my purchase; once by Adobe USA at 5%, then again by Canada at 7%.

I'm fairly certain international orders are exempt from Sales tax, but Adobe is convinced that I need to pay the US tax. There is no Canada store, so through Adobe USA is the only way to upgrade. Argh.

Does anyone have an idea how I can prove to Adobe the sales tax laws for international orders?

Thanks (and sorry for the length)

Return to posts index

Michael MunkittrickRe: Adobe Store and Sales Tax Problems
by on Apr 7, 2007 at 1:43:12 pm

[John Cairns] "I'm fairly certain international orders are exempt from Sales tax"

Until January of this year, that was correct. There was to be a tariff of some form as a buy-at-home incentive, but it violated the "free trade" agreement (go figure). I'm not sure of the specifics, but I order materials to build my lights from Canada and don't get charged a tax, but when I order light gels, "fog juice" (set fogger) or other soft-lines items I am taxed. The worst part, for me anyway is the different rates around the US when I'm doing my paperwork at tax time. I don't know if it's standard, but I always pay the same tax regardless of where I buy from in Canada. That would be great here...

Michael Munkittrick
Gainesville, Florida USA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved