BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

How do I sell what I make?

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
oscar deflorezHow do I sell what I make?
by on Apr 3, 2007 at 2:18:56 pm

Hello everyone, I am learning so much here at the Cow, glad to have found you all. Reading back through the archive I have not seen anything to help me with this question.

Question: Once you have completed a documentary or a independent film - how do you go about selling it?
I don't have dreams of fame and fortune and don't particularly want to smooze at festivals and such. I just want to make a few things a year that earn me enough money to keep making things and upgrading my equipment as I need it. I have spent many years perfecting my techinical skills and now have the ability. I just don't know how to sell a film/doc once I've completed it - nor do I have an idea of how much to sell it for.

If I price the cost of my camera to rent, my expenses on set, my editing and misc equipment, sound etc...the sum seems like pennies to pay for something that has already been completed, and all elements of risk removed for the buyer. However...I just don't know what docs/films are worth that are of small budget (of course always assuming that the content is interesting and well shot) or who do I approach to sell it to?

Any direction in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Little Black BirdRe: How do I sell what I make?
by on Jun 24, 2007 at 9:30:30 pm

Maybe you could start by posting your reel here, or a link to a trailer for your film / documentary. Make a name for yourself by promoting and participating in forums whenever you can. Many people will be reading your posts. Why not provide a link to your work so they can see it. I'm curious about your work . . . let's see it.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved