BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Need Help Figuring Out Job Title

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
skinny1Need Help Figuring Out Job Title
by on Mar 19, 2007 at 3:24:56 pm

Any input would be appreciated.

I've been with the same company for almost four years and over that time it has grown. When I was hired it was as essentially a junior video editor, along with some light Photoshop duties. Since then the company has grown and my duties have changed significantly. Also our company used to be rather informal and our pay, etc was based off of our work and what we actually did. Now we are becoming more corporate and things like job titles are going to seriously effect my potential pay and advancement. My HR person isn't super familiar with the video/motion graphics world so I thought I would post here and see what you guys think.

Our company now has around 45 employees and we are solidly in the web video business, although we are branching out into print and mobile phones. These are my overall responsibilities at the moment:

-Oversee video end of Flash Video conversion (we are converting approximately 38,000 clips from our current formats (.wmv and QT) to FLV. I am responsible for making sure the clips look 'right', download properly, etc. As well as designing and implementing any overlay graphics for the clips. I was also responsible for several other projects in a similar vein from the past.

-Develop media templates for the other video people to use. This is essentially a lot of After Effects and Apple Motion animation, as well as a solid amount of Photoshop work. We have been outputting a lot of this content for mobile phones.

-I also manage the creation end of my associates output, train them on how to do various video tasks, etc. Since I build the templates it makes sense for me to do so.

-Design and develop a weekly ~1.5 minute video podcast which has lots of fun animations in it. It is entirely built in Apple Motion and After Effects, as well as a lot of pre-processing in Photoshop. With some post in Sound Track pro. Additionally responsible for implementing and optimizing all the final formats these podcasts go out as.

-Lots of small video editing projects in FCP, these come and go but are never particularly elaborate. I consider myself much more of an animator now than a video editor (as if I ever was... :)

-Teach a weekly Photoshop class. Some internal training never hurts and my PS skills are pretty solid.

-Also I end up doing lots of small 'video projects', which mostly involve simple FCP work as well as Compressor.

-Also maintain our internal department web site (which is just a Wiki so is pretty straightforward, at least form a design standpoint.) I am also responsible for adding a lot of the content into this site, which includes procedures for all the tasks in our department. Along with other errata.

-I have another bigger design project coming up at the start of the next quarter that I am looking forward to. Will involve a lot of AE and PS work. It will be partially a template but will require significant modifications each week which I will be responsible for.

Anyhow, any input you might have would be great as to what I should call myself. Thanks for your time.

Return to posts index

John Davidson (fomerly JNeo25)Re: Need Help Figuring Out Job Title
by on Mar 19, 2007 at 7:03:26 pm

Media Producer?

What you described is technical, but also incorporates design and content creation - all primarily for the web.

'Video" tends to imply output to a broadcast medium. In your situation, you'd be best suited to jobs using your knowledge of content creation and output for the web. Media Producer gives you latitude in describing your duties in ways that are easily altered to better fit whatever job you apply for.

Perhaps it was Kierkegaard, or Eddie Murphy, who said "Once you label me, you negate me..."

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: Need Help Figuring Out Job Title
by on Mar 19, 2007 at 7:37:29 pm

I always love it when companies approach titles with tongue planted firmly in cheek. So how 'bout:

Senior Cinematic Sorcerer

Wideo Vizard

Pixel Pusher, Third Level

Digital Black Belt

Victor over the Vectorscope

(Any wonder I'm self-employed?)

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Need Help Figuring Out Job Title
by on Mar 19, 2007 at 11:29:10 pm

Put the word "Supervisor" in the title, because you defacto are doing that function, regarding not just physical assets but people working with you/under you.

It also smacks of management or at least management potential, and gives a rank above lowly deck ape.

So something like:

Digital Media Post Production Supervisor or Media Applications Supervisor is apropos.

"Big Kahuna" would also work:-)

Return to posts index

skinny1Re: Need Help Figuring Out Job Title
by on Mar 20, 2007 at 3:09:43 pm

..."Once you label me, you negate me..."

heh, too true :) Some good suggestions, I like 'Senior Cinematic Sorcerer', which might have worked prior to our more 'corporate' work environment that is being cultivated (still pretty loose though, really. So long as no one takes away my dark cave-like work environment I don't care what happens on the other side of the door, lol)

I'm thinking something along the lines of 'Lead Media Producer' might work well. It does a pretty good job of describing what I do, but is still fairly vague. Also goes well with my boss two levels up who is 'Director of Media & Technology'.

Still open to any other suggestions, but thanks to the folks above who replied :)

Return to posts index

gregRe: Need Help Figuring Out Job Title
by on Mar 20, 2007 at 4:46:16 pm

Why not Media Producer-Media & Technology

At one point I was a Media Associate which is also vague

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved