BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Company Names

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
FIA2444Company Names
by on Mar 13, 2007 at 4:07:08 pm

Hello Everyone,

I have a Company Name (B.O. Funk Productions) but most of the time I end up working under my own name. If I change my company to my (i.e. Jamie Dixon Productions) would that hinder business? Is it a smart idea to change or should I keep the two separate. What do most people do?

Return to posts index

grinnerRe: Company Names
by on Mar 14, 2007 at 2:33:06 am

changing names is never a good idea. It's a do over with a new company name.
Since it is your name, it's not quite as much of a do over but you should think about what it is you want your company to become. If it's a one man band, there is no reason not to just keep it simple. If it's a big facility with a mess of gear and boatload of artists, you should name it, not you.
I can tell you if you market yourself to other production companies, they will often feel threatened by a company name but not your name. If you are marketing yourself to ad agencies, they may be less impressed by the one man band vibe. I think it depends on what you want to become.

Return to posts index

jamiboRe: Company Names
by on Mar 15, 2007 at 5:06:01 am

That's really spot on advice. I run that very same way here in ATL. To potential freelance clients, who will hire me for a gig in their shop I'm just me. For clients, ad agencies and the like, you're a HUGE company, with TONS of gear, stockholders, an IMAX and lawyers on retainer!! Be what you hope to become... Just like grinner said.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Company Names
by on Mar 16, 2007 at 2:32:20 pm

Ad agencies thrive on dealing with bizzarre company names that imply youth and hipness.I can't imagine a typical corporate client that would entertain the hiring of a company called BO Funk or anything more outrageous. Some folks with multiple personalities to the company pick one overall name, then subsidiary names for made-up "divisions".

This strategy lets you keep the main name, but add a second identity below it that makes a certain comfortable distance or defines a more narrow function or focus. Where this works pretty well is an overall name that's kind of button-down like Amalgamated Consolidated Industrial video inc. And from there you add a more cutesy name for a sub-division that just handles, say, wedding business, Like ACIV HeartStories, a division of ACIV Inc.

Nobody on the other end needs to know all the mail to these "divisions" and all the phone calls lead back to one in box and one phone at your desk. But it is up to you to keep your identities straight, and it would work smoother to have a reception person filter and route all the calls and etc. to pull off the illusion.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved