BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

How to get into the commercial industry

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
whiteinkHow to get into the commercial industry
by on Feb 22, 2007 at 5:22:20 am

OK, I'm new here so I hope I am in the right spot. My post is not really about how to do something within After Effects, but rather how I can get into the industry to do something with it after I have played around with it for a while. I am pretty much in the print industry right now, but am very interested in motion graphics. My question is how and where do I get information about how to prepare the AE files for TV production, how do most people get jobs for commercials, etc. I am basically just wanting to try out some commercials for small local companies at the moment. Nothing special, just something to get introduced to the industry. I have someone who said I can use them as a test. If it turns out pretty good they will use it, if not... hey I got some experience. How do others approach potential customers? Do you even approach them at all? Do they come to you or vice-versa. Do you create the concept for the commercial or do they give you ideas of what they want, or a little of both? What are some general steps in the production process?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,
WhiteInk

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: How to get into the commercial industry
by on Feb 23, 2007 at 3:46:28 pm

Being in a hurry to finish up the new issue of the Creative COW Magazine right now, I don't have a ton of time to respond but I would suggest that you look around for a logical local company that you think could benefit from your services and do a few spec ads for them. Make an appointment to show them to them and get their feedback. It won't make you a ton of money but it will get your foot in the door and you can build from there. The chances of your success will increase if you really think about your prospect's business from their point of view and what you can do to build on that.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

whiteinkRe: How to get into the commercial industry
by on Feb 23, 2007 at 3:56:57 pm

Thank you very much for the help and thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to answer. I really appreciate it. I will try to put something together and see how it goes. One more question though. How "finshed" are the spec ads? Are they simply storyboards or do you actually put a rough video together?

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: How to get into the commercial industry
by on Feb 23, 2007 at 4:14:06 pm

What you are selling, as someone without a track record wishing to break in, is that you can do the work. So I'd do the commercial as if it were going to air. Lay in on top of it, a 10% opacity "Preview" so that if you have to leave it, it can't be used anywhere.

Best,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

whiteinkRe: How to get into the commercial industry
by on Feb 23, 2007 at 4:17:58 pm

Awesome! Thanks for the helpful information. Good luck with the new issue and have a wonderful day.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]