BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

HD News Graphics

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim THD News Graphics
by on Feb 20, 2007 at 4:19:16 pm

In 2009 all TV stations will loose their analog signal and will have to start broadcasting their digital signal. So here are my questions. Would this be a good time to start building a demo reel of HD News graphics and start marketing it? Most stations will have to re-do their graphic packages to fit the HD format, right? Do you think there will be a demand for this type of work in the future?

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: HD News Graphics
by on Feb 20, 2007 at 5:00:38 pm

Most stations I know of have their own in-house Graphics Dept. for this type of work.

But for smaller market stations, can't hurt to send along a demo now. Be sure all of your samples are in 1080i HD if you're going to create anything. Even if you downconvert it for the DVD Sample, you need to show that you can work in that size to create the graphics.

Here in Atlanta, two of the stations have already moved to HD Newscasts and they do look incredible.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

Tim TRe: HD News Graphics
by on Feb 20, 2007 at 5:42:48 pm

Thanks Walter,
Another question; do most stations do their own animated show opens, talent re-opens, bumper backgrounds...etc?

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: HD News Graphics
by on Feb 20, 2007 at 6:13:52 pm

My understanding is most affiliates get their packages from the head office so all the stations keep a tight brand identity. The locals then may or may not play with adding some variations to stress the local angle, but they all work from a supplied template from the network for on-air identity. So making the overall packages is probably not an easy thing for you to break into, the studios that make those are very high-end with high prices and they have that end of the market pretty well locked-up.

However, what IS perhaps a better path may be the fact the nightly local news, particularly for sweeps, weather, or special events, needs custom graphics work done that national-level headquarters or boutique shops can't provide. For things like sweeps month pieces and "special reports", you could definitely make some headway. These kinds of gigs come suddenly and need extremely rapid turn-around on often impossible schedules. Stuff like creating maps after an airplane crash, election-night graphics, local consumer report or medical update things, stuff like that. That's the kind of thing I would imagine you could put on a demo reel and sell to local news directors and producers with the idea that you can turn something around and get it delivered to the station by internet in jig time, as the event unfolds.

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: HD News Graphics
by on Feb 21, 2007 at 4:57:25 am

[Tim T] "Thanks Walter,
Another question; do most stations do their own animated show opens, talent re-opens, bumper backgrounds...etc?"

Depends on the market and the situation, really and how talented the on-board artists are.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

Steve WargoRe: HD News Graphics
by on Feb 23, 2007 at 5:41:53 am

Going digital does not mean HD or 16x9. It only means "digital".

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona

It's a dry heat!

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: HD News Graphics
by on Feb 24, 2007 at 11:56:37 am

Steve Wargo wrote:
Going digital does not mean HD or 16x9. It only means "digital".

Righto, Steve. In fact at one point the Sinclair chain of stations (mostly Fox and WB affiliates, I believe) floated the idea that instead of one HD channel they wanted to use the new bandwidth the FCC was assigning for four SD signals. We at least it means a LOT more need for graphics packages.

It would seem to me (but then I work in Industrials and Corporate -- so what do I know) that with the proliferation of cable channels there may be more of them than there are local outlets without in house or parent corporation art departments. Like in most forms of marketing, determine how to cast a wide net and narrow your focus as opportunities identify themselves.

As a consumer, I for one would prefer a world with 100 high quality-programmed HD channels to one with 1000 SD channels. But the likely reality as this develops will be we'll end up with both.

Return to posts index

Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.Re: HD News Graphics
by on Mar 8, 2007 at 8:28:43 pm

Hi Tim....

Hope you have good luck with that, just go in knowing that the TV News graphic nut can be a very difficult one to crack.

We are right in the middle of working on new stuff for a CBS station right now.

Most all broadcast stations (especially network affiliates) have consultants (there are 3 or 4 major consultants in the country) and the consultants have a great deal to do with the "look" of a station. That's why you can go from one city to the next and find a station that "looks" like one from back home. They are very carefully designed and consistent. For example, in a particular city there will be one station consulted by Frank Magid and Associates. That station will be called "Eyewitness News" and have a certain look. Go to another city 500 miles away, and whattya know, there is a station called "Eyewitness News" that looks just like the other...and guess what, they are a Magid station.

In addition, to futher tweak their looks stations employ big design firms who specialize in creating looks for stations. Most of them belong to the BDA (Broadcast Designers Association). They create everything from sets, to logo design, to on-air graphics, to fleet graphics, to out-of-station advertising.

After a "look" is designed, individual applications for it are usually created by graphic artists within an individual station.

All of that makes it hard for an individual. That's not to discourage you though, it can be done. As I said, we are doing some of that work right now. The local CBS station hired one of the big broadcast design firms, HothausCreative in Dallas, to redesign everything for them. They did, and did a great job... but we were brought in to help finish some of the individual pieces that were needed, since there were soooo many of them.

I don't want to be the "voice of doom" or discourage you from pursuing this... just know going in that for an individual to go into a television station in a mid-sized or larger market and sell the a graphics package would be very unusual. What you might do is pursue them as a client to help create indivual pieces for special needs they have that are based on their existing look.

Todd

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]