BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Editor/Motion Graphics Business Card

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ScootpequenoEditor/Motion Graphics Business Card
by on Feb 13, 2007 at 2:41:01 pm

I am currently a film student and I would like to have some sort of business card for networking purposes. I consider myself a mildy skilled video editor and I am capable in motion graphics. Even though I am just starting in the industry and I have only skimmed the film realm, I would like a card to advertise myself as an editor and a motion graphics artist.

What should a business card look like? simple design, complex? Exactly what information and text should I include? If anyone has any input or suggestions, they would be highly appreciated..

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Editor/Motion Graphics Business Card
by on Feb 13, 2007 at 4:18:45 pm

While it is tempting, I would say stay away from making and giving out CD-Roms in biz card size. Just a regular card with apropriate contact information is all you really need. If your graphic arts skills are really good, make a nice design on the card, as if it was a title CG page for a show, but keep it tasteful, less is more.

For a short while, I printed my biz cards on clear acetate sheets just to make them stand out a bit, but that was for only a short time. They weren't as rugged as a paper card and a little harder to read. Some folks like to put a small poem or favorite quotation or something like that on the back of their cards to make them memorable. Something that speaks to who you are or are trying to represent yourself as. Like a sig file. Some potential clients may find that corny or too weird. More conservative is generaly safer. Cards are cheap, a few bucks for a thousand of them. Just go make some and hand them out a lot. Don't hoard them, they do no good in a box at home. If they indicate a web site with samples of your work, concentrate on making that site really zing.

Return to posts index

andy stintonRe: Editor/Motion Graphics Business Card
by on Feb 13, 2007 at 10:26:00 pm

A creative name rank and serial number. Nobody ever got or lost a sale on their business card...

Andy Stinton
Corporate Video
Live & Stage Events
Business Practices

Return to posts index

John Davidson (fomerly JNeo25)Re: Editor/Motion Graphics Business Card
by on Feb 13, 2007 at 10:34:12 pm

There are two types of people in the industry: ones who SAY they do the job, and ones who DO the job. The world is filled with the former, and skimpy with the latter. I would think very carefully about selling myself as an editor if you're in film school and have just skimmed the surface of the biz. Your post implies that you don't have the experience needed to claim the title of editor.

Be honest about who you are and your status and you'll go 10,000 times farther than talking your way into a chair you're not ready for. I personally would be much more likely to hire a wet-behind-the-ears kid straight out of school who has a grasp of editing concepts and a passion to learn long before I hired a wet-behind-the-ears kid who thinks he's an editor. I've worked with young editors before who weren't ready and I'll never get those wasted days of my life back.

Honestly, if you put on your card:

Joe Blow
Hard Working Film Student with a passion to learn (or something similarly creative)

That would be a card that would stick out in my mind, and when I am in the market for an assist, pa, or ap type person, that's the card I pull out first.

All that said, if you're 45 years old and have been doing the job for 25 years and only went back to film school 4 years ago to get a degree, please accept my apology. Your profile is blank so I'm sure you can understand my ignorance to your wealth of experience. If you're a young guy just starting out as you imply, it's your choice to take my advice. Either way, good luck.

John Davidson____ writer | producer | director____

Return to posts index

Post removed.

scootpequenoRe: Editor/Motion Graphics Business Card
by on Feb 14, 2007 at 1:08:10 am

I guess you misunderstood my post. What I meant to say is for networking to other student filmmakers in the area who need experienced, which i am, editors or motion graphics artists to work on their films. But I do appreciate the input, and the reason I have no profile listed is because I recently re-registered to creative cow because of a new email address.

Return to posts index

John Davidson (fomerly JNeo25)Re: Editor/Motion Graphics Business Card
by on Feb 14, 2007 at 1:55:29 am

Sorry if I came off a little abrupt. The ability to edit is about 25% of what it takes to be an editor and once you turn off a potential client, it's hard to turn them back on again.

In regards to the cards, if you have the time, perhaps a global representation of yourself would be in order. As an editor designer, you've got to have a reel online these days, especially if you're new. You can buy a website pretty cheap (or even free), design it in photoshop or even Word (or flash if you know it) and make a card that is consistant graphically with the site. Some folks say to leave the back of the card white to leave room for writing down information (like quick quotes). I personally did not go that route, but each person is different. The card cannot get you work on it's own, but it can cost you work if it's ugly, designed poorly, or uses weird fonts/typography.

When you're ready with your card make sure you leave a little bleed room and the nice folks a Kinko's can make a big batch on glossy card stock (or whatever style you choose) for a relatively low price.

With a consistant theme, your own website (not myspace), and an online reel demonstrating your work, you'll be the cat's meow in the student film circle.

Best of luck!

John Davidson____ writer | producer | director____

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved