BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Dance Studios and Copyright Issues

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim McClearyDance Studios and Copyright Issues
by on Feb 8, 2007 at 4:37:17 pm

Just wondering what legal ramifications a dance studio could face by using copyrighted music to perform to? I'm sure many of your own sons and daughters are members of some dance studio. How is it possible to use copyrighted music during performances that they are charging to attend?
Also is legal for the studio to burn copies of the music for students to practice with? Oh yeah, and charge the student for that copy?

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: Dance Studios and Copyright Issues
by on Feb 8, 2007 at 4:49:40 pm

Legally they need to pay royalties to ASCAP or BMI. Whether they do or not is another story.

My brother in law owns a dance studio and they pay some sort of a blanket license fee to a company. I can ask him more about it.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

Tim McClearyRe: Dance Studios and Copyright Issues
by on Feb 8, 2007 at 10:49:20 pm

Walter, thank you for the reply. I would appreciate it if you could find out more from your brother about the license fee and who that is paid to.
BTW... love your quote.

Return to posts index

Gary ChvatalRe: Dance Studios and Copyright Issues
by on Feb 12, 2007 at 1:00:49 pm

Sure they can pay a public performance license directly to ASCAP & BMI which would allow them to use music in rehearsals and performances. Those fees are based on the size of the buisness (usually figured by the number of locations and number of emplyees...or the number of performances and size of the venues.) I used to manage those licenses for my company when I worked in a corporate environment.

Copying and selling CD's would not be allowed unless that are paying mechanical royalties...but I'd bet those are too expensive for most dance studios. I'm sure many music instuctors (think of all the guitar teachers in back rooms of music stores across the country) turn a blind eye to the law and do it anyway.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved