BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Archiving System

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew ArmstrongArchiving System
by on Jan 26, 2007 at 8:20:04 pm

So I just landed a job for a large company that is trying to start up its own video dept. I'm basically in charge of their new studio. Im looking to setup an archiving system for all of our content. I'd just like to get a feel of what some people are doing to keep things organized and easy to find for future use.

Return to posts index

Bob WoodheadRe: Archiving System
by on Jan 27, 2007 at 6:09:34 pm

[pasted from my answer to a similiar question on FCP forum]

Here's my folder templates (these are below the "main" folder for each project). Each time I start a new project, these are copied & pasted:

client review
Consolidated Project
Do Not Archive
FCP project
QT refs

All media is initially captured on my RAID. DV media may be transferred to external FW drives as needed to free space on the RAID. Media at rates higher than DV stays on the RAID. All project files are on the RAID. IMPORTANT - the RAID is Mode 3, so any single drive can fail without losing data. Just replace failed drive & the RAID goes back to full speed. Thus I've no need for "intermediate" backups; the critical project data is secured by the RAID. My next step will be to add a SATA RAID 0 (no safety net) on which to place higher resolution media requiring faster than FW throughput. The critical aspect is that all project data is on a safe RAID 3 box, while easily re-digz'd media files on are on "non-protected" drives.

After the project is done, I archive project data in the above folder structure to data DVDs. If multiple dvds are needed for 1 project, the top-level project folder name is used across the dvds, but with data subsets. These are then databased via Disktracker software. It never takes me more than a few seconds to locate anything from a past project.

(In case you're wondering, "Do Not Archive" folder is for data coming in via CD/DVD, so not needing redundant backup/archiving).

"Constituo, ergo sum"

Bob Woodhead / Atlanta

Return to posts index

Andrew ArmstrongRe: Archiving System
by on Jan 30, 2007 at 12:02:37 am

awesome thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved