BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Meaning of 'Co-Production'

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TCeditMeaning of 'Co-Production'
by on Jan 12, 2007 at 3:24:14 pm

Having spent my entire career on the creative/technical side of things, I now find myself in charge of a program that a startup network wants to air. They say they want to be co-producers. I assume that means we have a show, they have (some) money and we trade. The big thing I have learned in the last one to two years we have been putting this together is that there is a lot I don't know. So, what is it I don't know here. What else might they mean by co-production. I know they are interested in the rights to DVD sales. Thanks in advance for your help.

Return to posts index

Frank OttoRe: Meaning of 'Co-Production'
by on Jan 12, 2007 at 9:26:28 pm

It could mean anything from "I want my name on the credits" to they own the show after the production to a 50/50 split on costs to they pay, they get merchandise and ancillary rights (or you do).

Not knowing the show, the network or the costs to mount, I can't be much more specific...but if you're in negotiations already. now is the time for legal help, including making sure that your production entity is covered by orginzation, i.e. formed as a company.

Frank Otto

"Design is a process by which you create something for a client who has no idea of what they want until they see your design - then they know what they want, but your design isn't it."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved