BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Business Card CD's...

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeffrey Gould
Business Card CD's...
on Dec 30, 2006 at 3:54:32 pm

Hi, I read on the Corporate Video forum that letters to prospective clients will most likely "be tossed or used to clean up coffee spills". So I'm wondering if including a Business Card CD, which is basically a reformatted version of my website, would help the prospective client take notice and be less apt to toss? The CD is nicely done with Flash Video on every page to give it movement, I also have 6 video clips of work that I've done in WMV format. I would target businesses that I feel could benefit from my services. So what do you think, is it worth it? Up to this point, I've never really had to advertise or seek work...but lately I do. Thanks for any input.

Jeffrey S. Gould
Action Media Productions

Return to posts index

debe
Re: Business Card CD's...
by
on Dec 30, 2006 at 6:21:33 pm

Not too many people are going to take time to look at unsolicited materials, printed or otherwise. Actually, unsolicited media might be LESS likely to get viewed, because people have to do the extra step of putting in the computer. A piece of paper is there, in their hand, ready to read. If they are so inclined, they might read. They might be less inclined to go over to the computer, put the disk in, wait for it to spin up, and launch it.

It also really depends on your market.

Where I am, word of mouth and personal recommendations are what gets your foot in the door. Demos come after they've met you, have decided they like you and think they can work with you. After they've decided that, then they usually think that they should probably see your reel to make sure that you have done the caliber of work they are looking for.

A great demo doesn't sell a good person. A good person sells a great demo.

There are a lot of impressive demos flying around my market. Many of them are made by people who are virtually impossible to work with. This is known. So personality and disposition come first.

I'd say it's a really good idea to invest your time in meeting people who might be in the market for your services first.

My humble opinion. In 16 years in the business so far, virtually all of my jobs and clients came from direct contact, not from sending out resumes, reels, or marketing materials. Even when sent to people I knew were in the market for my services.

debe

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Jan 1, 2007 at 10:09:27 pm

[debe] "...unsolicited media might be LESS likely to get viewed, because people have to do the extra step of putting in the computer. A piece of paper is there, in their hand, ready to read. If they are so inclined, they might read. They might be less inclined to go over to the computer, put the disk in, wait for it to spin up, and launch it."

Good points Debe. The fact that "money people" are busy making money tells me that anything you can do to help simplify their lives and getting your message to them, is probably a good thing.

Best,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Arniepix
on Dec 31, 2006 at 4:26:41 pm

Business Card & mini sized CDs & DVDs will jam any slot loading player, like those found on many laptops. Not a good way to introduce yourself. And if it doesn't start up & play perfectly the 1st time, you've lost a client.

Arnie

Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman

http://www.arniepix.com/blog

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Dec 31, 2006 at 4:46:58 pm

And as I have mentioned before on this topic: I've been given a bunch of these over the years and I have yet to play one of them. I once asked some people I know if they had ever received them. They had. I asked how many they had played. Like me, they hadn't even played one of them.

Paper isn't perfect and neither are PDFs. But at least when I get one, I can see what it is quickly and make a decision as to its relevance to me. Quick, easy and biodegradable. You can't say that for a wallet-sized CD or DVD.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Freedom of Speech is never so precious as when a man hits his thumb with a hammer.

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Gould
on Dec 31, 2006 at 5:06:27 pm

Thank you for the replies, albeit not the ones I was hoping for...but I agree with you all. I just figured being a multimedia company that a CD was more impressive than white paper business card, but your points are valid. I think sometimes just handing them out could be impressive, even if they are never played (nice label, cool factor). I have played the CD on 7 different computers, 4 of them laptops and not one issue, the oldest laptop is 4 years old. Ironically, all of my medical clients love the idea of them and always ask for them to use a networking tool for other physicians...how many actually watch them, I have no idea. Thanks again, I appreciate your responses.

Jeffrey S. Gould
Action Media Productions

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Dec 31, 2006 at 5:32:11 pm

If you want to get their attention and you think your web site is up to the challenge, how about a mailer that only has your web address? I have to disagree with Ron in that, since I am a multimedia producer, I always take the time to look at someone's disc, maybe at home on the laptop while watching TV, just to see how it was authored, see if I like what they have put together, and what they have to offer.

I don't get more than a handful every year, so it doesn't overwhelm me...

We talk about word of mouth being a good way to get in the door.....then I say that as a professional sends me something I should have a look, and even if I cannot use their services, I can mention them the next time someone asks, "Anyone know of new talent who has a good looking site that is looking for work?" I can pass the name and site along. That is how word of mouth works.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Gould
on Dec 31, 2006 at 5:45:04 pm

Thanks Rich, yes my site is up to the challenge...if I do say so myself :-) I do agree that I view other company's work to see how it's done and so forth, but that is different than a prospective client viewing it. I'm not 100% turned off to the idea of mailing these out with a letter, even if it entices them just to read the letter. I did the work already, it's just matter of burning 25-50 of them and mailing them out...but first I have to compile a list. Thanks..

Jeffrey S. Gould
Action Media Productions

Return to posts index

Tom McNally
on Dec 31, 2006 at 9:27:07 pm

I used to work in the office equipment industry at a very small company. We sent out mailings on a regular basis and we got the best returns when we sent out a copier service special. Our market was small businesses who did not have service contracts. Now you can say people who buy on price will leave on price, and that is what happened to us. But we also picked up great profitable customers too.

Try including a special offer at the end of your presentation. Let the potential client know there is a special offer at the end of your presentation on the CD/DVD to entice them to watch. Slash the price on a high margin item or service. Its a numbers game. You will attract the grinders and hopefully some good clients. If you are upfront and honest about your regular rates on the product/service that you do discount, you'll minimize future pricing issues and be able to toss those grinders as time passes.

How about researching some of the local businesses that you would like to work with and tailoring your special offer to the individual business. Would take a bit more time, but a potential client may appreciate the effort.

Have a happy New Year,
Tom McNally

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 31, 2006 at 10:15:29 pm

In this world of virus scares and whatnot, I'm not sure anything sent unsolicited would just get stuck in a computer. A DvD perhaps. But like Tom alluded to, I think you have to have something to offer like a free calculator program or something.

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Jan 1, 2007 at 4:22:39 pm

I looked at your full-sized disk that you gave me years ago, Rich. I still have it around here in one of my massive disc piles. I have received a number of full-sized discs and I nearly always look at them.

I just don't bother with the "dinkers" as they are too big to fit in a wallet, don't sit well in a stack of business cards, are too small to sit or stand in a pile of standard discs -- and so they end up in the trash.

Sorry.

While I love to see people's demo reels and have seen some great work on CDs and DVDs over the years, I have yet to see any good work on those wallet-sized dinkers.

Blame it on a habit learned while using Apple's trayless players. Now that I have a tray back, I may break my rut one day...

:o)

Best,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Gould
on Jan 1, 2007 at 4:43:27 pm

Thanks again for the replies. I like the idea of including a special offer when the viewer clicks "exit". Here is a link in case anyone wants to see what the interface looks like. This is the services page, the bottom right is a rollover and there are 4 links on the left for video, dvd, interactive and web, each one brings up in text and a SWF. http://progressive.playstream.com/plasticcosmetic/progressive/samplehome.jp...

Jeffrey S. Gould
Action Media Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]