BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

clarifying expectations

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Davisclarifying expectations
by on Dec 15, 2006 at 7:16:04 pm

I've begun to realize that jobs that begin with ambiguous expectations usually end up have a lot of conflict and both parties feeling screwed. So, in order to put some definition to expectations I am working on a generic set of my expectations that can be presented to the client who can add, modify, until we reach agreement. What would you add or change?

1. $xxx/day with equipment (1 day defined as 8-10 hours)
2. $xxx/day without equipment (1 day defined as 8-10 hours)
3. If more that 10 hours are necesitated in a day, it will be billed an additional $40/hour.
4. Basic graphics.
5. Basic sound mixing/editing.
6. Jobs lasting less than 7 days, payment in full is expected upon completion.
7. Jobs over 7 days, payment in full is expected within 2 weeks of final invoice which will be delivered via e-mail within 3 days of completion.

Return to posts index

The Matt HallRe: clarifying expectations
by on Dec 15, 2006 at 10:10:05 pm

Hard to say what to add without exactly knowing what aspect of work you do, but here's a few other possibilities:

- What are the deliverables? One BETA master and 1 DVD for example. Any extra dubs will be additional.
- Do you hand off the work files? Do they expect the video master or a hard disk with all the projects?
- If you shot it, who gets the footage at the end of the job? Do you retain the tapes or do they go to the client?
- Who is responsible for purchasing stock material (audio, video, etc.)
- What is the process of revision? How many rounds does the client get before they have to pay more?

all i can think of for now...

Matt Hall
Hallway Media, LLC
http://www.hallway-media.com

Return to posts index

Scott DavisRe: clarifying expectations
by on Dec 15, 2006 at 11:14:09 pm

Ahh, deliverables and dubs. Forgot that. I just include tape so I'm not liable for collecting taxes. Media expenses are negligible for me so far. As far as revisions, since I'm on a day rate they can revise till their hearts content. More revision mean more time, mean more expense. I've tried a set fee; but it always seems like I am taking it in the sorts if I do this.

Return to posts index

zrb123Re: clarifying expectations
by on Dec 16, 2006 at 3:16:25 am

You might want to define what basic means in basic graphics and basic sound

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: clarifying expectations
by on Dec 16, 2006 at 7:59:33 pm

Revisions, errors, and omissions:

The amount billed for the edit includes a first rough cut for approval, one revised cut based on the notes from the approval screening. Any versions after that point are a separate deal. Define closed-captioning asked for after the fact as a new job. Define alternate language audio track versions asked for after the fact as a new job. Repeating loop copies asked for afterwards, or back-up versions without any graphics, again, if asked for after the fact, a separate deal. Asking to go back into the master and blur out a face or an object that was supposedly cleared in advance but turns out not to be: new job, billed accordingly.

As far as errors and omissions, if the client spelled it wron inthe text files or on the paper script they gave you, the client is responsible for the extra time and money to fix it. If the mis-spelled or wrong chyrons or graphics or missing shot is YOUR fault, you eat the cost of the corrections.

Return to posts index

JBaumchenRe: clarifying expectations
by on Dec 18, 2006 at 4:27:20 pm

I'm not sure what the prevailing rates are in your area, but in the Pacific NW, I used to charge a flat rate as follows.

My base rate was $95.00/hr.

Travel time was billed at $45.00/hr and .50/mile portal - portal

If I had to fly, the client made the travel arrangement, Air, Transportation, Hotel or else I billed my time out at $95/hr + (expenses *1.15).

Half day - 4 hrs - $350 + travel time & mileage

Full day - 8hrs - $725 + travel time & mileage. Anything over 8 hours was charged out at $125/hr

Editing was billed out at a straight $95/hr with a two hour minimum. Want special effects or graphics, no problem - $95/hr.

I always supplied the equipment. If I had to rent equipment, I charged it to the client at a 40% markup to cover my time to obtain and return the rental gear.

If I had to get the shooting permits to shoot on civic property, I charged $95/hr + mileage + (permit fees *1.35).

I would always discuss the costs with the client up-front and is part of the normal process when determining the scope of the project.

I normally retained copyright of the footage I shot, if the client wanted to hire me on a 'work for hire' basis, my rates went up by a factor of 1.65

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Scott DavisRe: clarifying expectations
by on Dec 18, 2006 at 4:39:25 pm

That really illuminated areas I had not even thought of. Now I am thinking of all the "small" stuff I throw in for free that I should be charging for.

OT to this post. Do you think that you only become de/undervalued if you let yourself get that way. ie If I say "no problem" and then work for free the client then comes to expect more and more for free? Its a thin line between being taken advantage of and providing great customer service.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 18, 2006 at 4:54:22 pm

Yeah, if you start giving services away, two things will happen.

1. It will be virtually impossible to the clinet for them in the future.
2. Your work will be preceived as having less value, afterall, if it's free, there is no value in it.

When I first started out, I was tempted to 'break into the field' by offering some services for free. I'm glad I listened to a friend who was experienced in business. My first 'Corporate Project' was a real nerve whacker. Imagine me, a greenhorn charging $95/hour. But, it was accepted and the more projects I did, the more confidence I got, (honed some video skills too), and really began enjoying the work.

Cheers.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 18, 2006 at 4:58:05 pm

Sorry fo the typos.

Yeah, if you start giving services away, two things will happen.

1. It will be virtually impossible to bill the clinet for them in the future.
2. Your work will be preceived as having less value, afterall, if it's free, there is no value in it.

When I first started out, I was tempted to 'break into the field' by offering some services for free. I'm glad I listened to a friend who was experienced in business. My first 'Corporate Project' was a real nerve whacker. Imagine me, a greenhorn charging $95/hour. But, it was accepted and the more projects I did, the more confidence I got, (honed some video skills too), and really began enjoying the work.

Cheers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]