BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles Business and Marketing Podcasts

Looking for a U-matic deck

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary ChvatalLooking for a U-matic deck
by on Dec 2, 2006 at 4:12:34 am

Does anybody have a decent U-matic deck sitting unused? I do a lot of re-mastering to digital and DVD and occasionaly get guys bringing on old 3/4" tapes. Need something to play them on.

I tried ebay. Bought one from an AV company in Rockaway New Jersey. They took a long time to ship so I called them a few times to make sure they shipped the deck. When it showed up (six weeks later) I couldn't believe what had happened. The deck was stuffed with packing peanuts. These guys had to have taken to cover off...and stuffed every square millimeter with peanuts. Needless to say the deck was toast. It had to have been done on thoer way tis could have happened.

So...anyway....I'd like to find a deck from a more reputable source..but I don't want to spend a bundle. I'd prefer a 3/4 SP deck if possible. I'm in Raleigh, NC

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonRe: Looking for a U-matic deck
by on Dec 2, 2006 at 11:17:28 am

They claim to be the world's largest dealer of pro video gear. I don't have any reason to doubt them. They have two pages of U-matic models listed, each of which is a link to lots of units of that model. Using the SONY VO-9800TC as an example, they have 24 units listed that include the TC generator and external jog-shuttle. (That's an SP model with RS-422 and all the goodies.)

The prices start at $3100, although you can "log in" for a better price. There are a bunch that say "call" for prices -- I would guess that those are higher. Depending on how long you intend to use it, that may be the way to go.

Because of the nature of the beast, they're in NY and LA, but they surely know how to pack it to get it to NC sans peanuts.

BTW, I found these guys on froogle, using "U-matic" as the search term. (The dash is crucial for returning the best results.) I actually hate google, but their buying search engine is pretty useful.

Finally, I hope you reported that ebay seller if they didn't give you your money back. The seller was clearly nuts.

Your chances are even better if they used Paypal -- unlike ebay, they'll shut the guy down in a heartbeat, and will freeze the funds until you're satisfied. I've had only one bad ebay experience -- Paypal was all over him until I was happy, which I eventually was. I never, ever use anything but Paypal to pay for that very reason.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

tony salgadoRe: Looking for a U-matic deck
by on Dec 2, 2006 at 6:32:08 pm

I personally recommend finding another vendor.

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

Gary ChvatalRe: Looking for a U-matic deck
by on Dec 3, 2006 at 2:46:41 am

LOL...if you're referring to the vendor I used previously...I al ready figured that one out. If you are referring to the broadcast store...thanks for the tip!

Return to posts index

Frank NolanRe: Looking for a U-matic deck
by on Dec 2, 2006 at 8:59:23 pm

I have a 3/4 deck sitting in storage if you're interested shoot me an email and I'll pull it out. I am in LA but have had success shipping to other cow members. My last sale was a PVM20m2U broadcast monitor to the east coast. Arrived in perfect condition.

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Looking for a U-matic deck
by on Dec 2, 2006 at 9:53:46 pm

You are in luck. I happen to have a cream puff VO-9850, with the timecode card onboard, sitting here with your name on it (not literally). And, as a former Edit user myself, I'll give you the good guy discount as well.

Contact me privately at drw at drwfilms dot com for details, and I'll send you my phone number so we can chat about it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved