BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

perhaps off topic : UK lad looking for advice/info for working in USA AfterEffects/compositing work

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris forrester
perhaps off topic : UK lad looking for advice/info for working in USA AfterEffects/compositing work
on Nov 28, 2006 at 1:23:36 am

This is something I have started to read into recently but I thought I would ask here in one of my favourite communities. My question is do many posthouses take on anyone from abroad? If I wanted to work in USA for some amount of time like I am now in London as a freelancer would this be possible (I have UK passport)How about if I aquired a fultime job? Im guessing a work visa is required of some sort. For our area of work is this a hard thing to aquire do you know. If I worked in a london company that had sister companies out in the states would the make a transistion easier (and be working full time)? Has anyone worked at a company that has employed people from London/UK? Im guessing there is quite alot involved paperwork wise if it is possible to be allowed into the country to work in this industry.

If Anyone has any experiences or information on this I would love to hear from you. I was initially thinking of GA state... Should I be looking towards other states to find work or increase my chances?
Many Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Regards
Chris

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: perhaps off topic : UK lad looking for advice/info for working in USA AfterEffects/compositing work
on Nov 28, 2006 at 5:45:54 pm

If you had The Mill or Ardman on your CV, I'd say many folks would give you a shot. You are in a tricky area concerning tax liabilities as well as immigration status, and your best bet is to ask a solicitor there or a lawyer here to look up the statutes first. Maybe even a CPA.

What you do in the underground economy "off the books" is your own business, but the big bucks jobs, jobs that can be used for references for more jobs, are going to come with an audit trail for state and federal taxes and benefits and you don't want to mess things up for you OR the business that wants your skills by getting them audited or you expelled for visa violations, so I'd pay the money for good legal advice first.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: perhaps off topic : UK lad looking for advice/info for working in USA AfterEffects/compositing work
on Nov 29, 2006 at 9:48:23 pm

You need to get a company interested in you, offer you a job, then they have to help you get an H1 visa, which is a 3 year work permit. It costs good money for an immigration attorney, and a company needs to justify that similar talent is not available domestically.

Return to posts index

Monica F.P.Williams
on Dec 1, 2006 at 8:53:46 pm

Hi Chris,
It is difficult,
I went trough the all process (I am from Rome , Italy) .
It took me 8 years and 4 Lawyers to get finally a Green Card.
The only suggestion that I can give you is to get a very good and honest (?) Immigration lawyer that will tell you if you have any chance.
Here' s the email for my Lawyer Victoria Ferrara: artandlaw@earthlink.net
She is amazing and HONEST!!!!
Ciao
Good Luck
Monica

Monica F.P.williams
crocodile editing

Return to posts index

tony salgado
on Dec 2, 2006 at 6:21:47 am

Find a beautiful lonely american girl who loves you (at least for two years) and then both of you get married and the rest is history.

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Dec 2, 2006 at 3:29:55 pm

Thanks Tony, I damned near spit up my coffee laughing when I read this one.

:o)

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Dec 2, 2006 at 4:40:03 pm

My wife works in an office that does immigration law, and I agree that having a lawyer is a crucial step. Best to have one local to your target area, because you're going to have make a lot of visits to their office. (Most work on flat fees, so don't worry: they have an incentive to work as efficiently as possible.)

Also good advice: best to have a job before you settle here, as an employer is the single most important hurdle for the immigration folks in the US -- they want to know that you can pay your own way.

Okay, it helps not to have a criminal record in your home country, but you can work around that if you have a job much more easily than you can work around having no criminal record but no job.

So you're quite right that the "US office" approach is going to be by far the easiest one.

Good luck!

Tim

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 3, 2006 at 9:37:22 pm

[Tim Wilson] "(Most work on flat fees, so don't worry: they have an incentive to work as efficiently as possible.)"

Hey Tim,

I suggest you tell your wife's firm about my theory on flat rate billing. :):):)

DRW

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Dec 3, 2006 at 11:06:08 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "I suggest you tell your wife's firm about my theory on flat rate billing. :):):)"

Not a theory -- just an observation. I know that Boston's not the center of the world, but we do have the most lawyers per square mile in the world. Even more than Washington. And I certainly don't know all the immigration lawyers in town, but all the ones that I know do flat rate billing for basic immigration tasks. Not other things -- just basic immigration stuff. Who knows? Maybe a byproduct of overheated competition for a limited pool of not-often-well-heeled clients.

I ain't saying it's cheap, though. It's not. I might have enough money to do it once. I'd definitely need a loan to do it twice.

Your mileage will vary.

It occurs to me to mention re: Chris's original query that immigration is only one part of it. There's also the getting a job doing After Effects part of it. It's a question we've heard often enough that we're devoting an entire article to it in next month's COW magazine. Be sure to check it out.

tw

Return to posts index

chris forrester
on Dec 4, 2006 at 11:14:39 am

Thanks for the heads up on the article Tim, i`ll be sure to check it out Im subscribed for the pdf version currently.

Return to posts index

tony salgado
on Dec 4, 2006 at 1:42:45 am

Ron,

I was thinking of how best to get a chuckle out of you when I wrote that lil gem.

I keep them coming for some more early morning cheer.

Best,

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

Christian Glawe
on Dec 2, 2006 at 7:25:30 pm

Britney Spears and Pam Anderson are currently available, from what I understand....

Return to posts index

chris forrester
on Dec 3, 2006 at 7:05:15 pm

LMAO thxs :-P

Return to posts index

chris forrester
Many Thanks For all the replies
on Dec 3, 2006 at 7:19:22 pm

Thank you all for your insight into this process. I have learnt alot I had no idea about needing a lawyer but it seems this is one part that is very important in the process, especially in your choice of lawyer.

Im hoping to start pitching myself towards some of the larger post houses in London for the time being with the hope of some support from them and a better portfolio. I am planning a visit to the USA hopefully in April, so I might do a little digging around see if I can find some "bits" out from there end.

Thanks for the post Monica, and the reality check :-) it sure is a long process and best I know that now from others experiences, im glad it worked out for yourself 8years is a long time.

Thanks again all on the insightful thread...and the funnies :-P you all got my sense of humour thats for sure lol

Seems this will be the start of along process :-P

Regards
Chris

Return to posts index

Monica F.P.Williams
Re: Many Thanks For all the replies
on Dec 4, 2006 at 5:22:56 pm

Hi Chris,
you are very welcome, and when you decide to come to the States , drop me an email @ coccodrillo_21@yahoo.com
I am in Los Angeles, I was very lucky when I first moved here to have a huge support from my friends, and if I can help I will be more then happy to do it.
Ciao
Monica

Monica F.P.williams
crocodile editing

Return to posts index

chris forrester
ty Monica
on Dec 9, 2006 at 12:07:52 pm

Why Thank you again :-)

I shall definatly let you know if im in the area, even if its not for a long while :-) good to know I have a friendly contact in LA .

Chris

Return to posts index

NICK B
Re: ty Monica
on Dec 9, 2006 at 7:54:09 pm

Could you not do a swap, there may well be a AE artist working in a proper job in the USA who would not mind working in London for say 12 months.

Return to posts index

chris forrester
RE swapping with a USA artist
on Dec 27, 2006 at 10:59:40 pm

I would definatly go with a suggestion of this sort, it'll be something I need to look into more. Im guessing it would be easier if I was at a large posthouse that had links in America or shared workloads as it might be easier to find 2 people with similar skills to swap countries.
Thanks for the input Nick my apoligies for not noticing your reply earlier.

Wishing everyone best wishes for the new year

Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]