BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Seeking advice for Educational/academic documentary

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jjordache
Seeking advice for Educational/academic documentary
on Nov 25, 2006 at 9:49:53 pm

I

Return to posts index

tony salgado
Re: Seeking advice for Educational/academic documentary
on Nov 26, 2006 at 3:06:30 am

You are going to need to obtain production insurance if you intend to sell it to any broadcast outlet.

In this case I recommend establishing a company to deal exclusively with this project.

Please consider the personal liability you are exposing yourself to when dealing with any project involving hiring crew, shooting on location etc and the benefits of properly establishing a formal business with proper insurance.

If you have to hire crew depending on what state you are working or based in you may want to consider paying the crew labor by a payroll company which will take care of the proper taxes, workers comp etc.

good luck,

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

jjordache
on Nov 26, 2006 at 11:05:17 pm

[tony salgado] "You are going to need to obtain production insurance if you intend to sell it to any broadcast outlet.

Can you elaborate on this issue ? If the doc is already made without network funding, can

Return to posts index

tony salgado
on Nov 27, 2006 at 4:48:01 pm

The insurance I am talking is about is errors and ommissions, liability coverage for production company etc. Any independent can produce a show regardless of where the funding originates from but the legal department of the network or outlet will need to verify the proper releases, insurance etc are in place.

There may be no need to incorporate if you have the payroll company take care of the employees hired for the job you just have to make sure the funds are deposited to the payroll company or else the employees will not be paid.

Maybe you should consider hiring an experience producer in this area who could deal with all the issues involved.

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

Mike_S
on Nov 29, 2006 at 8:28:59 pm

I'd go with Tony's "hire in help" idea.

As you point out, you're a first-timer in an area of great professional skill (program making), and while it seems to you that you know all about the subject and don't need help with script, direction or producing, I doubt that many skilled practitioners will see things your way.

While you are confident that you have the time to recover from your mistakes ("do things right"), you probably don't have the skill and experience to consider your subject objectively, think about how your target audience might see it - and then devise a neat, effective and efficient way of delivering maximum impact to that audience and value to your sponsors ... These are all things that skilled pros could help you with.

I'd start off by getting in script help, and think about taking it from there ....

Good luck with it.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Nov 29, 2006 at 9:52:59 pm

you say you have funding already - if so how could you not have your own compensation budgeted?
If you have a business, even if you are an independent contractor, you need to consider cost, overhead and profit in your price quotation process.
If using federal money, by the way, your end product needs to be section 508 accessible. For a DVD that may mean subtitles, but make sure it does not need to be closed captioned. That is another consideration if you want to sell it to a broadcaster.

Mike

Return to posts index

Marcel Valcarce
on Nov 29, 2006 at 11:09:17 pm

You are caught in the age-old catch 22, no work to show in order to get work.

My advice: post on a forum and offer to cut some trailers for free. Find an independant producer who will gladly let you use footage in exchange for a free trailer. As they are not paying, you are likely to find people interested in this sort of thing.

This way you can cut a real trailer for a real film, and if you are good you can make a crappy film seem like it is much better (the true talent of a trailer editor).

I used to work in the trailer industry (doing graphics). While I find all the advice given here very good, I also know editors who got their first job by cutting trailers from real films. Just be very clear to a prospective employer that the trailer you are showing is not real.

Return to posts index

Brian Lindstrom
on Jan 2, 2007 at 8:11:48 pm

Hi:

I recommend Pyramid Media for distribution to educational markets. They distribute my 30 minute documentary "Kicking" and I am very happy with their work.

Good luck.

Best,
Brian

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]