BUSINESS AND MARKETING: Business and Marketing Forum Business and Marketing Articles

Some advice about my first bussines contract as Freelance

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
PercheronSome advice about my first bussines contract as Freelance
by on Nov 3, 2006 at 12:02:46 pm

Hello Cows!!!!

Am looking here for a bit advice. I have been follow this forum (B&M) for a long time, and now am in front of my first real freelance business.

Am looking for a bit fo advice on some points. Hope you could help me.

The project its based on a 10 x 2

Return to posts index

shvrRe: Some advice about my first bussines contract as Freelance
by on Nov 3, 2006 at 2:10:29 pm

First off need to get rights to the music and with a 1500.00 budget, it's unlikely you can afford it. And it's not true that there is no money involved because you are getting paid -- and that doesn't matter anyway. Copyright law is not based on whether you make money on the content you use - it's all about permission to use it.

Secondly, you will need to get releases from the persons you interview (search this forum for more on releases.)

Thirdly, you'll need to make sure that rights have been granted to use the images in the slideshow portion of the DVD. If not, then you will need to track down the owners of the images and get releases from them as well.

and Fourthly, specify everything in a contract and make sure you are being paid enough. You are shooting interviews, editing video, scanning images, and authoring a DVD. Based on what you outline above, I would not touch that job for 1500.00. But, if it's you first gig and you want the experience then go for it.

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: Some advice about my first bussines contract as Freelance
by on Nov 3, 2006 at 2:50:53 pm

The vast majority of the legalities discussed here pertain to US and European law and best practices. But Perheron didn't say what part of the world he's working in. This is not to say that any of us should condone trampling on copyrights or ignoring ownership, but there are countries where this is so routine it can be a non-issue. It's admirable that Perheron wants to do it the right and legal way but, in some places, the need to do so may not be much of a factor. Sad, but true.

Yea, $1,500 doesn't sound like much money. But again it depends where you are working. And while there is something to be said for getting started, don't expect this client at any point in the future to EVER think this kind of production is worth more than $1,500. That's why when you're starting out it's good to keep trading up clients, using each job as a stepping stone to where you want to be.

Return to posts index

PercheronRe: Some advice about my first bussines contract as Freelance
by on Nov 3, 2006 at 6:57:43 pm

THANKS A LOT!!!!

Actually it was an aprox. price (but the client didnt know the price)and now I know a bit more about the project.

Finally, I will get the images ready to make the slideshow, cause they came directly from the artist. I will make them sign something to give me rights to use their images. Also about the releases about the interwieved people.

In the price it was not included the

Return to posts index

shvrRe: Some advice about my first bussines contract as Freelance
by on Nov 4, 2006 at 1:05:16 am

Spain is most certainly a signatory to the Berne Convention (the international treaty that covers IP and Copyright) so be sure you have rights to the music. I'm not sure what laws apply to the model releases in Spain, but I guess it can't hurt to get those as well.

It sounds like you have a nice project there - good luck.

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Some advice about my first bussines contract as Freelance
by on Nov 3, 2006 at 7:59:32 pm

[Nick Griffin] "don't expect this client at any point in the future to EVER think this kind of production is worth more than $1,500."

Nick discusses this phenomenon and offers other similar pearls of insight in his column in the first issue of the Creative Cow magazine. I'd never seen this one expressed in writing before, in fact, until Nick mentioned it I hadn't realized just how often I'd encountered it throughout the many years I've been in this business. As Nick points out, clients inevitably develop a sense of entitlement, that somehow they should remain locked-in for eternity at the very lowest rate you extend to them. So, if you can develop a strategy that works to nip that misconception in the bud with every client, it will elevate your perceived value and the perceived value of your services, and greatly add to your bottom line.

Let your client know that this is just a one time deal -- an "introductory offer" if you will. And, make certain that your invoice indicates the real-world price with your "one-time" discount applied. The next time they need you that invoice will be your friend -- use it to gently remind the client that they gladly accepted your offer, paid your initial invoice without issue, and thus entered into an agreement with you. If the client has any integrity at all they will usually honor that implied agreement -- it doesn't always work, but its far better than leaving things to chance.

DRW

Return to posts index

PercheronRe: Some advice about my first bussines contract as Freelance
by on Nov 3, 2006 at 9:09:36 pm

Actually this is not the first job with this client, but the first one in audiovisual enviroment.

We have been working before for him, on the same company, but now he has his own bussines. With this work we are sure, we can get more projects in the future.

This one will allowed him to prove how a dvd can work in the exposition and if its good the response of the public.

We will follow working with him, maybe more in graphic stuff, but i think its a good oportunity.

We decided to make the job, between a rates that we can get a bit of money and it will bring us more work.

You are right that if we make the job for not so much money, how we are going to make him see, that the work has to be more paid in the future. Thats why we decided to make the discount, just because the situation in this point.

The offer will be only this time, just to try to hook him. For sure only this time. We wanna have everithing written.

In the first magazine "25 tips i should know when i was 25" (or something like that ) article, i found really good pearls, but once you are inside the bussines isnt gold everithing that blinks. I think we have to crash sometimes, or to live the situation in your own skin, to realise how is it.

Actually for the exhibition, they will pay him nothing for the dvd. It means he has to pay everithing trough his pocket. We wanna make him realise that its not cheap, but helpful to have the dvd there. So thats why we are a bit between. :-S

Thanks again to all for your support.

Return to posts index

Clint Nitkiewicz HernandezRe: Some advice about my first bussines contract as Freelance
by on Dec 18, 2006 at 3:38:31 am

Parece muy barato en mi opinion. Debes de apuntar todas las horas te va a demorar haciendo todo, incluyendo el DVD, y de alli ver cuanto quieres ganar al hora. En mi opinion usa la musica sin problema, es ilegal pero tanto gente no lo van a ver verdad?

Clint Nitkiewicz Hern

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]